Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 920 921 [922] 923 924 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814005 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13815 on: August 19, 2013, 06:00:49 pm »

F6 opens the combat window, I think.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13816 on: August 19, 2013, 06:17:29 pm »

Within F6.

Select Fire control then select weapons to assign to the fire control and click assign. They now have a targeting system.

Assuming you have launchers, click Missiles you want to assign, select launchers to use and hit assign under the missile window.

Select a Target and hit Assign.

On the right of this menu under Copy Assign, if you hit Copy TG it will copy everything you did but the target to every other ship of this class in the task group. Copy System will do it to every ship in the solar system. Copy Race to every ship of that class you have.

Copy target commands will copy the target over.

Multiple Targets > Same Loc will attack different ships at the same location.

By default ships will still be holding fire after you set them up, just select a ship in the fleet once you gave them all orders at this point and hit Open Fire under Current Fleet, they will all begin to fire.

You can also use auto-fire to mixed effect. Typically i don't use it very much since i sometimes have issues with it loading the wrong ammo.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13817 on: August 19, 2013, 06:25:48 pm »

I've downloaded resize enable and i cant get it to consistently work, and when it does by not by knowing volition.. It also seems to be buggy on at least one game window when combined with reduced size parameters.

Remember that you need to run it before opening any windows that you want to resize, and that it won't be neat and pretty. It can take a bit of time to figure out the right balance between size and legibility. If you mess with a window a bit without getting it right, it is usually easier to reopen it than to try to fix all of the screwed up parts.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13818 on: August 20, 2013, 12:53:31 am »

F6 opens the combat window, I think.
And it's not helped at all. My ships aren't firing at the damned enemy ships, and I can't find a way of selecting enemy ships to be fired upon, either.

EDIT: the whole system could have easily been made... easier, too.
And why the hell can't there be a tutorial saying 'do X for Y type weapon!'? All the tutorials I can find tell you WHAT X does, but doesn't tell you HOW YOU USE IT!

EDIT2: 15 wrecks, and an enemy ship without so much as a scratch. Because you can't set the weapons to fire easily. I spent the whole fucking battle seeing f changing something would make the ship fire. Guess what I found out? Apparently, fighting battles in space is FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE!

Oh, wait, did you find the battle control window? Because it's actuallyF8, not F6. Sorry.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13819 on: August 20, 2013, 04:50:39 pm »

The battle control window can also be accessed by the target-thing icon left to the sun icon on the System Map.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13820 on: August 21, 2013, 03:08:57 am »

Pretty sure I'm asking a question with an obvious answer here, but should I make my missiles have maximum power at the cost of great fuel consumption? What parameters should my missiles have, anyway? How do I balance speed vs agility?

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13821 on: August 21, 2013, 05:12:48 am »

Pretty sure I'm asking a question with an obvious answer here, but should I make my missiles have maximum power at the cost of great fuel consumption? What parameters should my missiles have, anyway? How do I balance speed vs agility?
MAXIMUM POWER!
But seriously, I was designing energy efficient missiles before: They are much larger (the missiles) or much slower, both of which are bad traits. For engines on missiles, overcharge as much as possible. Also, design multiple missile engines per TL, one size 0.5, one size 1 etc etc up to two. Less engines are more efficient.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13822 on: August 21, 2013, 05:41:09 am »

Remember, the more distance your missile travels, the more chances to shoot down the missile.  The faster your missile travels, the less chances to shoot down the missile.  So yeah, overcharge the heck out of them.

Furthermore, remember that missile firing range takes forever to level up.  So you either have extremely bulky firing computers, or compromise on missile range prior to even designing the missiles anyways.  So fuel should generally be the first thing you cut in missile design.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13823 on: August 21, 2013, 06:00:15 am »

After abandoning learning and failing to respond earlier, I have come back with Resize enable and all that jazz downloaded. Wish me luck. Will come in with SPECIFIC STUFF NEXT TIME if I need help.

Also I might take a nap before beginning because tired.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13824 on: August 21, 2013, 08:31:50 am »

The only time you don't want to be using maximum power engines on your missiles is for the flight stage of long range multi-stage missiles. As long as you are careful with your separation distances(slightly above the distance that the enemies anti-missiles can first intercept your closing missile) then the slow speed doesn't really effect their chance of being intercepted before the payload is released.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13825 on: August 21, 2013, 11:43:52 pm »

Finally came back to the game after six months or so, and decided to run a no-missile challenge game. Sent my four laser-equipped destroyers at four random precursor ships, shot down their anti ship missiles and finally closed in to laser range... And promptly gets obliterated by 4x74 size-1 AMM salvos. Finally got to experience death by sandpaper first hand, heh.

Anyone here tried doing something like this before? I don't think beam point defence will work too well due to the sheer volume of fire from enemy AMM salvos, and I've read that shields aren't exactly efficient protection-per-weight. Which also interferes with the basic necessity of beam ships needing to be faster than their targets.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13826 on: August 22, 2013, 01:24:26 am »

From the various LPs I've read, the key to a no-missile fleet is volume of ships.  More is definitely better.  I don't really have much experience at combat, but I'd suggest fighters.  They won't survive a single hit, but you can make them en masse.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13827 on: August 22, 2013, 01:54:06 am »

Shields aren't that bad, but you need a few tech levels for them to be useful. Have you looked into Gauss PD? Those things can shoot a HUGE amount of shots too.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13828 on: August 22, 2013, 02:00:20 am »

I start my journey into Aurora.

I will post screenshots and stuff if interest is shown(It might help a bit if I do it anyway)

Here I go!

Maxsimal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13829 on: August 22, 2013, 02:15:43 am »

Hey, need some help.   

For the life of me, I cannot figure out where to design/create missiles.  I've checked the wiki, I tried searching this thread, it seems like people have no problems, but I can't find it.  I would have assumed its either

A: In the class designer, but my only options in the drop down are "ship" and "PDC". 
B: In the tech designer, but I can only design launchers and missile engines, no missiles themselves

Am I missing a tech?  But I already have the predesigned "Conventional ICBM" available.   I did a TN start, using Spacemaster tech assignment rather than the pre-done tech assignments.
Pages: 1 ... 920 921 [922] 923 924 ... 1347