Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814030 times)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13785 on: August 18, 2013, 12:39:15 pm »

I assume that jumpgates can be simply found generated, since there isn't really a possibility that there's an empire two jumps away from Sol that hasn't totally destroyed me yet.

What's up with Particle Beams? Are they really plasma torpedo-related tech as someone told me a long time ago, or are they just a wierd wierd beam weapon?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13786 on: August 19, 2013, 12:57:49 am »

Yes, each jumppoint has a small chance that an ancient jumpgate has been constructed on it when the system is initially generated. Note that as the check occurs when each system is generated it is fairly rare to find one with a jumpgate already built on both sides.

Particle Beams used to be named Plasma Torpedoes. The name was changed when Steve introduced the Invaders and wanted to give them unique Torpedo weapons that functioned differently. Confusion arose because Steve originally missed changing the name in several places, although I believe they are now all fixed.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13787 on: August 19, 2013, 04:50:14 am »

Is this game still unplayable for any laptop under 17''?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13788 on: August 19, 2013, 05:52:24 am »

Flying Dice's sig has got a program called ResizeEnable. It's a small little thing, allowing you to change sizes of windows that are normally unchangeable - like in Aurora. Resizing needs some time to get used to, and the game is far from comfortable, but it's playable if you use that.

... this applies to my laptop with max resolution of 1366x768. Anything higher is pretty much normal, 1920x1080 being the optimal afaik. Anything lower - don't even bother downloading the game.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13789 on: August 19, 2013, 06:50:30 am »

Eh, it's a spreadsheet simulator as-is. Having to resize windows in order to get at the required data is a bit too far over the usability threshold. :)

I guess that's what you get when you rely on Windows Forms for UI. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13790 on: August 19, 2013, 07:27:01 am »

I play on a 1280x800 resolution with just the "Reduced Height Windows" option, and have almost no problems. Nothing that hasn't been fixable by temporarily moving the task bar to the side to occasionally get to a rarely used button.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13791 on: August 19, 2013, 07:44:28 am »

You know...

I am not saying for sure shenanigans are going on...

But those 156x 1000 ton ships over Earth, with 11x 30k+ ton ships, plus the additional 122x 1000 ton ships this 'Friendly' NPR has put over Mars is starting to make me a tad worried.

Not sure how quickly i could shoot them down with my fleet and PDCs before they cause massive damage if relations soured.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13792 on: August 19, 2013, 08:57:37 am »

Yeah, I only needed ResizeEnable because I used to have a laptop with a 1024x768 screen. On another note, I think that the event message for discovering advanced particle beam tech in ruins still talks about plasma torpedoes.

As for that fleet, as long as they're in your territory relations /shouldn't/ degrade. Besides, just because there are nearly 300 of those FACs doesn't mean that they're combat-effective.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13793 on: August 19, 2013, 09:02:18 am »

Yeah, NPRs aren't smart enough to pretend to be friendly and backstab you, or anything like that, but they can be super annoying because they don't respect boundaries and will go around colonizing planets you're in the middle of terraforming and the like.

Really you'd have been better off enslaving them the moment you saw them.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13794 on: August 19, 2013, 09:53:03 am »

It's sort of sad, but that really is the only way to deal with NPRs. Just bomb them into submission and oppress oppress oppress until they've completely integrated into your social order.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13795 on: August 19, 2013, 10:27:25 am »

It is 25 years into my game. I have maybe 150 combat ships (Not including fighters).

Ignoring the nearly 300 they put into SOL, which i am sure i could tear into pieces, i am aware of at least 93x of the 32.5k ton ships. 117x 19.9k sized ships,  526x of the 1000 size ships that have passed through my deep space trackers. (I built some upon a roid within what i believe is their core system).

Though they have been fighting either another NPR, Swarm, or other, because i did find a few wrecks off so i have a good idea of their tech levels and at least my armor and engine techs are far superior as far as i know.

Considering the crippling uridium shortage Ive been fighting for most of my game, i don't think i have the ammo.

I really have not had much luck finding any good supplies of it, or at least any that was accessible, nor have my geologist teams been very successful.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13796 on: August 19, 2013, 10:46:03 am »

Maybe buy supplies from civilian colonies or the NPR themselves? Maybe those 32.5kt ships are commercial freighters? Maybe you can bomb them into order with mass drivers?
I'm really curious what could the parameters of those ships be, as well as yours. Why don't you post what you have and try to get the rest?

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #13797 on: August 19, 2013, 11:57:02 am »

I play on a 1280x800 resolution with just the "Reduced Height Windows" option, and have almost no problems. Nothing that hasn't been fixable by temporarily moving the task bar to the side to occasionally get to a rarely used button.

And I never had any problem just using the windows feature on laptops that lets you have a resolution larger than the display area that then scrolls the window when you hit an edge.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13798 on: August 19, 2013, 12:53:18 pm »

Well, time for my designs to be judged i suppose.

My Crossbow class Corvette. 67 in active service, currently the oldest military vessel in service without a retrofit. Is used grouped with other craft for quick hits, relies on other ships for PD.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Scimitar Light Cruiser, 21 in service, holds stronger missiles. Relies on other ships for PD.

Clairvaux class Scout Cruiser, 13 in active service. Wide area detection, and PD, ship. 

Celtic Rain Battlecruiser. 4 in Service. Spearhead command ship for operation. Extra backup systems in case of system failures.

Kora fast attack craft. 14 in service. Newly developed and designed for quick response and interception from support fleet.

Temple Planetary Defense Center. 3 Located on Earth.

So my count is 119 combat ships ships (excluding survey ships, tankers, etc) so oops on my early estimate. I know PD is light on my main ships, otherwise i think they are decent. I do have Gauss tech up, just never got around redesigning the crossbow and scimitar with a CIWS as most of my fights have gone well with PD support from the Clairvaux or Celtic Rain ships.

I know that those 1000 size ships have 4x Size 4 Launchers (25% reduction) as i have salvage that many from a single one before. I know next to nothing about the 32.5k ships, though they keep moving in and out of my sensor range which does make me suspect that they could be freighters.  Never salvaged either the 32.5k or the 19.9k ton ships.

Did two 5 day bursts and the 1000 ton ships that were on earth moved away. Not sure where they all went, total count of them in active sensors is now 179 on Mars.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13799 on: August 19, 2013, 01:03:12 pm »

It's sort of sad, but that really is the only way to deal with NPRs. Just bomb them into submission and oppress oppress oppress until they've completely integrated into your social order.

Could you elaborate? I'm building a mental feature list and i was unaware of this.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned newbs crowdsourcing designs to learn the ropes. I'd like to take you up on that.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 1347