Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 861 862 [863] 864 865 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816871 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12930 on: January 08, 2013, 10:41:23 am »

The "just" give bonus, but since a good governor can give around 20% bonus in mining, industry and everything, you should use them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #12931 on: January 08, 2013, 10:43:39 am »

Build more research labs from the industry tab of the colony managment window. Click on Research Lab in the list then click create.

This is where I thought it would be, but it's not on the list :(
It should be, along with all the other installations under the label of construction options.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12932 on: January 08, 2013, 10:51:50 am »

Build more research labs from the industry tab of the colony managment window. Click on Research Lab in the list then click create.

Are you doing a conventional start? If so most of the build options won't show up until you research the trans newtonian tech. Thats about the only reason I could see for it not showing up.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12933 on: January 08, 2013, 10:52:11 am »

Ceres is 950 km in diameter, so it's not actually that impressive. You can RP it as an asteroid that formed from a planetary core after a collision with another planetoid (kinda like the Moon).
This particular motherlode is a 2000km diameter asteroid (one of the biggest I've ever seen), probably just under the threshold for a dwarf planet.
Given the system layout (7 asteroids in a very tight clump near the primary), I'm prone to wonder if this one is either a remnant of a planetary disc ripped apart by tidal forces, or a failed proto-plantary disc. The asteroid actually has a gravity of 0.22, one of the highest I've ever seen for an asteroid. And a magnetic field of 0.09. With some good old bioengineering, we might be able to settle that rock! :D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12934 on: January 08, 2013, 10:55:48 am »

2000km is significantly larger than most of the dwarf planets in the Sol system. Sounds like the generation routine is hiccuping and not changing their type from asteroid to dwarf planet.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #12935 on: January 08, 2013, 11:05:57 am »

A 2000km object should already be able to reach hydrostatic equilibrium and become a sphere. And yes, maybe the generation routine bypassed a check or something.

Are you doing a conventional start? If so most of the build options won't show up until you research the trans newtonian tech. Thats about the only reason I could see for it not showing up.
I don't think it's a very good idea to go for a conventional start in the first serious game, if that's the case.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12936 on: January 08, 2013, 11:56:42 am »

Yeah, it was a conventional start. I figured "conventional" would equate to "less complicated". Apparently not. :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12937 on: January 08, 2013, 11:58:33 am »

conventional means you begin with almost present-day tech and infrastructure, just after discovery of trans newtonian materials.
In aurora terms, a backward underdeveloped planet.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12938 on: January 08, 2013, 01:58:18 pm »

conventional means you begin with almost present-day tech and infrastructure, just after discovery of trans newtonian materials.
In aurora terms, a backward underdeveloped planet.

Huh, fair enough. Also, I just tried to open the galaxy map and it exploded with errors. What do?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12939 on: January 08, 2013, 02:38:09 pm »

If the errors are complaining about not being able to find image files then you didn't install properly (although the possibility of this happening might have changed recently, I haven't installed since I think it changed so I can't remember). Other than that, you didn't provide enough information really. What did the errors say (including error code)? How many of them were there? Was it the same error, or a number of different errors (and if the latter, how often did each one repeat)?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12940 on: January 08, 2013, 03:00:29 pm »

The newest version has the hotfix with the missing images.

This game is one of the buggiest games I've ever seen on Earth, you can't even play on a laptop because the windows are bigger than the screen.

On the latter, look to my sig. I played Aurora for months on a laptop with a 1024x768 monitor. On the former, not at all. I rarely/never get error reports, and most of them can be clicked through and ignored without affecting the game. I can only think of a few errors that cause unavoidable crashes, and they're all due to improper installs. Incidentally, I take it you've never played a Bethesda game?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12941 on: January 08, 2013, 03:31:23 pm »

If the errors are complaining about not being able to find image files then you didn't install properly (although the possibility of this happening might have changed recently, I haven't installed since I think it changed so I can't remember). Other than that, you didn't provide enough information really. What did the errors say (including error code)? How many of them were there? Was it the same error, or a number of different errors (and if the latter, how often did each one repeat)?

It's missing images, error 76 (I think?) and 53. Does this need a complete reinstall?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12942 on: January 08, 2013, 03:45:40 pm »

Did you move the images from the latest patch into the correct directories? The error message should tell you exactly which files it isn't finding, post that here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12943 on: January 08, 2013, 05:15:07 pm »

More specifically, look in your Aurora folder. There will be several image files. Put them into the appropriate subfolders, like so:

a11.jpg, b20.jpg and M24.jpg go into Planetjpeg

flag0390.jpg and flag0391.jpg go into Flags

If those files aren't there, you aren't using the most current version, in which case you should either download it or copy one of the existing images in each folder and rename the copies to match the missing images.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12944 on: January 08, 2013, 07:28:31 pm »

More specifically, look in your Aurora folder. There will be several image files. Put them into the appropriate subfolders, like so:

a11.jpg, b20.jpg and M24.jpg go into Planetjpeg

flag0390.jpg and flag0391.jpg go into Flags

If those files aren't there, you aren't using the most current version, in which case you should either download it or copy one of the existing images in each folder and rename the copies to match the missing images.

So I'm a complete moron. Turns out I'd just installed the patch, and Aurora hadn't been installed at all. Which is weird, since I've had it on my computer for ages and don't remember uninstalling...
Pages: 1 ... 861 862 [863] 864 865 ... 1347