Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818971 times)

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11835 on: October 15, 2012, 12:21:15 pm »

Did you by chance mean EU instead of UK? Because both France and Germany are at least twice as active at space exploration by budget contributions and by actual astronauts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11836 on: October 15, 2012, 01:03:57 pm »

Did you by chance mean EU instead of UK? Because both France and Germany are at least twice as active at space exploration by budget contributions and by actual astronauts.
Hm, you're right. I misread a bit of info, looks like the UK doesn't have a space program capable of manned flight, at least according to Wiki. The ESA has launch capabilities for things like satellites but no program for manned flight. Downgrading the UK to a lesser power then. In fact I might just pretend the entire ESA is allied and put them in as a single entry because I don't want to make that many more empires.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11837 on: October 15, 2012, 07:32:29 pm »

That's the usual practice for any sort of fictional 'verse with a Next Sunday AD setting and 4X themes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11838 on: October 15, 2012, 07:42:39 pm »

I've seen players set these up before.  It's usually US, Russia/USSR, European Union, and Eurasian Union, with an optional spattering of African Union and Australian Tunnel Bores (because their rockets are upside-down).

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11839 on: October 15, 2012, 09:53:22 pm »

Start up game, can't do anything without picking my race. Go to the race chooser, none available. Can't find anything. Screw around with an options, get a never ending series of popup error windows. Try to follow the wiki's quickstart instructions, and of course it's outdated and the screens are completely different.

*Sigh*

Someday I'll understand this game.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11840 on: October 15, 2012, 09:57:27 pm »

If you just started with the default game, that's Steve's personal game that he left in place as an example.  You'll want to start a new game and generate a new universe.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11841 on: October 15, 2012, 11:41:53 pm »

I did, I think.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11842 on: October 16, 2012, 12:13:22 am »

How do I create multination starts?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11843 on: October 16, 2012, 05:15:37 am »

1. Start new game.
2. Open SM mode.
3. Make multiple empires on same planet.
4. Set the other empires as NPR if you don't want to control them.
5. Then you can (if you want) set them to remain neutral to each other, though this is tedious. You have to switch to the first empire(set default race), create a ship with an active sensor so it detects the other populations, then go to diplomacy and click the force communicate button to allow them to communicate, then click the checkmark at the bottom which keeps them at neutral standing. Doing this will (hopefully) make them not nuke each other right away.

Note: When you add the empires, they may not immediately show up under the races/empires window. I had to exit game and relaunch it for them to show up.

That was a little rushed but hopefully will help.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11844 on: October 16, 2012, 07:57:31 am »

From my experience, if you make a new NPR it will always start with around a dozen ships, even if you don't give them a shipyard. They'll also slow your game down a lot with sensor checks and fleet interception checks. There's also no way to control an NPR, even in Spacemaster mode.

Just a few things to be aware of.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11845 on: October 16, 2012, 08:09:21 am »

I think you there is a checkbox whether or not to make them start with a fleet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11846 on: October 16, 2012, 08:12:41 am »

From my experience, if you make a new NPR it will always start with around a dozen ships, even if you don't give them a shipyard. They'll also slow your game down a lot with sensor checks and fleet interception checks. There's also no way to control an NPR, even in Spacemaster mode.

Just a few things to be aware of.
As I said, if you want to control them DON'T make them an NPR. And the empires I created as NPR didn't generate with any ships at all.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11847 on: October 16, 2012, 08:58:15 am »

There also should be an option to disable sensor checks in the Spacemaster System View.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

vz_tnl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11848 on: October 16, 2012, 09:03:41 am »

You can control every NPR in designer mode.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11849 on: October 16, 2012, 10:42:16 am »

1. Start new game.
2. Open SM mode.
3. Make multiple empires on same planet.
4. Set the other empires as NPR if you don't want to control them.
5. Then you can (if you want) set them to remain neutral to each other, though this is tedious. You have to switch to the first empire(set default race), create a ship with an active sensor so it detects the other populations, then go to diplomacy and click the force communicate button to allow them to communicate, then click the checkmark at the bottom which keeps them at neutral standing. Doing this will (hopefully) make them not nuke each other right away.

Note: When you add the empires, they may not immediately show up under the races/empires window. I had to exit game and relaunch it for them to show up.

That was a little rushed but hopefully will help.
How do I make a new empire? I really don't have much expierence in SM mode.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 1347