Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818897 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11850 on: October 16, 2012, 10:45:06 am »

It's in the System View window, I believe.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11851 on: October 16, 2012, 11:11:31 am »

How do I create multination starts?
1. Start new game.
2. Open SM mode.
3. Make multiple empires on same planet.
4. Set the other empires as NPR if you don't want to control them.
5. Then you can (if you want) set them to remain neutral to each other, though this is tedious. You have to switch to the first empire(set default race), create a ship with an active sensor so it detects the other populations, then go to diplomacy and click the force communicate button to allow them to communicate, then click the checkmark at the bottom which keeps them at neutral standing. Doing this will (hopefully) make them not nuke each other right away.

Note: When you add the empires, they may not immediately show up under the races/empires window. I had to exit game and relaunch it for them to show up.

That was a little rushed but hopefully will help.
How do I make a new empire? I really don't have much expierence in SM mode.
System view (F9), click on the planet, click "Create Empire"

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11852 on: October 16, 2012, 03:05:43 pm »

I was reading the new mechanics for Geosurvey Teams, and it seems that team skill only affects rate of completion, not the likelihood of finding minerals.  On the other hand, "generates minerals at 33% chance of original" is rather vague, as I don't know whether or not having someone skilled at surveying at the helm of the survey vessel increases the chance of discovering minerals or not.

So, the question is: What if anything does survey skill contribute to mineral generation, besides speed?

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11853 on: October 16, 2012, 03:11:33 pm »

Quanity, I suppouse? I mean, logically, there isn't much else to do with the skill, apart from - as noted - speeding up the progress and being able to (rp wise) find clusters of minerals hidden under plain rock.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11854 on: October 16, 2012, 03:31:16 pm »

No, just speed. Steve didn't want the gamey effect of people training team on smaller rocks before surveying planets.

Altough now it's beneficial to wait until your minerals are mostly exhausted to survey.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11855 on: October 16, 2012, 03:49:40 pm »

Altough now it's beneficial to wait until your minerals are mostly exhausted to survey.
How come? I haven't seen the technical explanation of this. I know it feels like they're finding a hell of a lot less minerals overall than they were before. But the skill increases seem a bit better.

Also, is it just my game, or are scientists capable of getting a much better admin rating than they used to? I'm barely 10 years into a game, and I have a Sensor scientist with a whopping 10 Admin rating (50 labs). I don't even have the Mercassium to build 50 labs.  :'(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11856 on: October 16, 2012, 04:06:28 pm »

Nowadays, when Survey Team make a survey, they keep surveying until a "Survey Check" is made (The most skilled the faster). When this check happen, the game re-run the mineral generation routine, but with one third of the normal chance to find minerals. For each mineral generated, the game set the amount of minerals and the accessibility to the highest of your current amount and accessibility or the newly generated one.

If you have a planet full of mineral, it is unlikely the new check will produce value higher than what's already there. But if you wait until you're running out, any new mineral generated is likely to be present in higher amount than what you have.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11857 on: October 16, 2012, 04:10:18 pm »

Also, is it just my game, or are scientists capable of getting a much better admin rating than they used to? I'm barely 10 years into a game, and I have a Sensor scientist with a whopping 10 Admin rating (50 labs). I don't even have the Mercassium to build 50 labs.  :'(

I have a similar situation in my game. Their bonuses are actually increasing, which isn't something I usually noticed happening.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11858 on: October 17, 2012, 01:14:50 am »

I like the new teams, because i wasted alot of effort micromanageing the gamey survey teams.
So i've discovered another bug, if you try to make missiles with you'll get errors unless you first research sensor and power plant technology. The default missile setting puts 1 MSP into reactor which you can't remove unless you have researched light water reactor, Also the active sensor resolution is  set at 1 by default which seems to generate overflows also, but at least it doesn't affect your missile design like the reactor does.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11859 on: October 17, 2012, 11:37:16 pm »

Another missile-related bug is that setting sensor resolution to 0 (even if you don't have a sensor on the design) will automatically drop one MSP into missile ECM.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11860 on: October 18, 2012, 05:46:16 am »

i've got a few questions about orbital habitats, ordnance factories and shipyards.

1) can a ship be equipped with lost of OBs but still maintain a decent speed?
2) can the labour required for shipyards and ordnance factories come from OBs?

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11861 on: October 18, 2012, 06:00:14 am »

1) Technically yes, but it would take too much time and resources to build such a thing
2) yes (thats what they are for?)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11862 on: October 18, 2012, 06:10:04 am »

excellent. i wish to be able to create a fleet that will not need a homeworld. do orbital habitats count for shoreleave?

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11863 on: October 18, 2012, 06:31:09 am »

You always need a colony. Orbital habitats can be placed over planets or asteroids without supporting atmosphere giving 50k max population each. For now every population with (i think) 10k+ pop is counted for shoreleave, so 1 oh is enough for it. But the problem is population transport i dont think you can transport pops inside oh unless you have additional modules for pop transport. Think of them as of packaged housing, that gets unpacked on planet, but ppl can't live in them when they are packaged in space.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11864 on: October 18, 2012, 06:58:15 am »

i've designing colony ships to do that. i just want to be able to pack up and leave whenever materials run out or there's an alien threat.
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 1347