Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818626 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11415 on: September 08, 2012, 09:30:56 am »

Does continual capacity expansion add tons per slipway?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11416 on: September 08, 2012, 09:32:12 am »

Thanks!
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11417 on: September 08, 2012, 09:35:46 am »

At this point of interest we need an IRC to discuss these things, I think. Or mumble. Or make a separate channel in Kael's TS3 server.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11418 on: September 08, 2012, 09:40:26 am »

I  found that bay12 IRC channel always seems to have someone in there who plays Aurora
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11419 on: September 08, 2012, 09:49:40 am »

still need to know about how to make the starter system, though :-\

Start a game by choosing SM race over earth.  Once in hit ctrl+s then ctrl+r then select SM race.  Now hit F9 and on the bottom right in the SM panel choose create new system (or if you wan't to be a nebula race and you are playing non-real systems choose create new nebula).  This part takes awhile because not all systems will be generated with planets capable of supporting any life, but if there is a planet that is close but not perfect to what you want add a colony and hit F2 to change it's atmo to what you wan't your races home to be.

Once you've found a world you want check the systems minerals and regen them if you want, hit HW minerals on your home, and then hit create new empire.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11420 on: September 08, 2012, 10:06:12 am »

Does the traders just not like unhabitatable worlds even with orbital habitats on it? I noticed they would trade with Mars, Earth, Venus and Mercury but not Luna, until I engineers people that can survive the gravity there. Colony ships also don't seem to like shipping to planets with orbital habitats around it.

Is it really impossible to manually assign command to units when there're over a thousand of them listed? ( I was playing in SM mode to figure out how things works and a thousand engineer unit keep getting out of range error when I just roll over to lowest rank ground commander, automatic assignment worked fine, though )

I doubt anyone'd run that many units, but I was curious what would happen :D

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11421 on: September 08, 2012, 10:41:14 am »

How would I set up a colony on Mars? I've attempted to move colonists and equipment there, but colonists just generate unrest and the equipment seems to disappear. Do I have to manually set up items I ship to colonies?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11422 on: September 08, 2012, 10:49:32 am »

Are you moving enough infrastructure for the colonists of mars?  With out enough they kind of start dying off.

I don't know if orbitable habs cause any problems with civ trade but I do know they will try and choose the most profitable they can.  Small populations don't produce or need much civ goods so they get ignored, also orbitable habs don't need infrastructure so that won't get moved to them.  Since infrastructure is probably the earliest good you will see be moved for starting colonies it's what civ freighters make most of their money off of out of the gate.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11423 on: September 08, 2012, 10:57:48 am »

Are you moving enough infrastructure for the colonists of mars?  With out enough they kind of start dying off.

I don't know if orbitable habs cause any problems with civ trade but I do know they will try and choose the most profitable they can.  Small populations don't produce or need much civ goods so they get ignored, also orbitable habs don't need infrastructure so that won't get moved to them.  Since infrastructure is probably the earliest good you will see be moved for starting colonies it's what civ freighters make most of their money off of out of the gate.

I probably should add that those are 25 million people habitats, made because I got conflicting report from other forum over trading and ship line's colonist issues and wanted to check it out. And well, none of the other colonies were as packed as Luna. Other planets had habitats too, and traders was running to them happily, even being further off and having less people. That is, until I added people that could survive Luna's gravity.

Still not seeing the colonist moving anyone, anywhere, though.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11424 on: September 08, 2012, 11:18:01 am »

Or just drop colonist on mars and let em die so that covilians can make a profit out of selling them infrastructure

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11425 on: September 08, 2012, 11:42:44 am »

Do I have to build infrastrucutre that is not connected to the planet, or will it automatically take it? My freighters are giving errors when they attempt to pick up infrastrucutre from earth.

Heres my freighter:
Code: [Select]
Spruance class Freighter    34,950 tons     243 Crew     385.4 BP      TCS 699  TH 700  EM 0
1001 km/s     Armour 1-95     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 7    Max Repair 25 MSP
Cargo 25000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 10   

Nuclear Pulse Engine E0.8 (7)    Power 100    Fuel Use 8%    Signature 100    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 32.2 billion km   (372 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11426 on: September 08, 2012, 12:07:13 pm »

The infrastructure listed in the civilian contracts and trade tab can only be picked up by civilian freighters who will drop it off on colonies that need it, where it becomes normal infrastructure and can be later moved by your freighters. Your own freighters can only move infrastructure that you have produced yourself or that has been dropped off by civilians previously.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11427 on: September 08, 2012, 12:07:52 pm »

Infrastructure takes 1/2 of a cargo hold, thus a ship with 25,000 tons occupied by cargo holds can carry 50 infrastructure at once.

Make sure you have enough infrastructure on Earth.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11428 on: September 08, 2012, 12:20:23 pm »

Alright here's what I have.
100 produced infrastructure
2 Spruance Class Freighter (above post)
No civilian contracts
Earth
Mars
Orders to Load infrastructure at earth, move to mars, and unload all installations
An error that says Cargo Task Group failed to load infrastructure. Please reschedule fleet orders (which I have done multiple times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11429 on: September 08, 2012, 12:30:22 pm »

Check your freighters' cargo holds manually; they might already have something loaded.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 1347