Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818151 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11130 on: August 08, 2012, 09:11:33 pm »

What about jump gates? I've come across one of those leading to a black hole.

lol, Precursor practical joke!

They must have a strange sense of humor then...

It's why communicating with them is and will always be impossible.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11131 on: August 08, 2012, 09:41:52 pm »

The "precursors" you encounter are actually just robots that the real ancient aliens left behind when their galactic civilization collapsed or whatever.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11132 on: August 08, 2012, 10:34:00 pm »

That pretty much sums up why I gave up playing with Real Stars: Nothing to fight, no habitable worlds, long stretches of boredom.
Oddly enough, I'm having the opposite problem. My Real Stars campaign (on hiatus) had a fair number of habitable worlds (2 completely habitable ones right off the bat, a few more under x2 colony cost, and a TON of x2 colony cost worlds), and 3 NPRs (not counting a robust Precursor presence and the Swarm).

My current nebula-start game has found a ton of nitrogen-oxygen worlds, but every single one of them is uninhabited. I finally got a hyper-scout built to go check out two binary systems where the companion is thousands of AUs out with no L-points. Even those were uninhabited. And minerals seem to be much scarcer than in a Real Stars game (could be the prominent lack of old M-class stars?). I've run into a couple of Precursor packs and there's at least two Swarm queens out there. But no NPRs.

I think you are right about the cause being the lack of old M-class stars.  I imagine the real reason that you're not finding much minerals is because you are in a nebula.  Nebulas generally only have small planets, tiny moons, and the occasional asteroid belt.  Remember that nebulas are infant systems: the whole reason the nebula exists is because many of the particles (and thus minerals) are part of the nebula cloud itself, and thus unavailable to be harvested.

Also luck.   ;D

For NPRs, I've suggest "create system", then "create NPR empire" on a nice planet.  You'll always know about the system, but never know how the NPR is doing or when your main empire will find the system you created.

For fun, I created a "real stars" game where I deleted my starting Earth population, created an NPR empire on Earth, then created a new human empire in another system I created.  I'm still waiting to "reunite" with my Earth relatives.  I also gave my new empire lots of genetic low temperature techs, and I learned a fundamental lesson about genetics: it sucks.  After spending most of my starting points on genetics, I still can only create a race humans with a minimum temperature of -40 degrees Celcius.  Only another 200 degrees until they can live on an absolute zero world...  ::)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11133 on: August 08, 2012, 10:46:54 pm »

Ummmm, living on a zero kelvin world is impossible in sooooooooo many ways.

-40 degrees Celsius is impressive.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11134 on: August 08, 2012, 10:54:14 pm »

Not really, -40 celsius is only a difference of  1-2 colony cost.  Useful, but hardly impressive.

...And I gave up all engine tech and most jump tech for this benefit.  I'm not even sure what puny weapons I have.  And I'm starting to run out of people to "remake".  Still, it's nice to have "frost humans".

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11135 on: August 08, 2012, 11:45:52 pm »

I meant from a biological point of view it's impressive. -40 degrees on a human....Either they have a seriously powerful metabolism, or they great fur all over the place.

Maybe it should have a bigger effect on colony cost.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11136 on: August 08, 2012, 11:48:38 pm »

I meant from a biological point of view it's impressive. -40 degrees on a human....Either they have a seriously powerful metabolism, or they great fur all over the place.

Maybe it should have a bigger effect on colony cost.
Remember that's surface temperature, which is an average of all surface. On the lower end of the range the population will all focus on the equator line of the planet.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11137 on: August 09, 2012, 01:23:32 am »

The "precursors" you encounter are actually just robots that the real ancient aliens left behind when their galactic civilization collapsed or whatever.
You mean when they ran facefirst into a few hundred thousand plasma torpedos:P

Though it has always mystified me how Steve apparently expects us to believe that a bunch of lazy bums with low-medium level tech in everything but electronic warfare would manage to spread across the whole damned galaxy without either kicking the bucket or progressing to the point where they transcended. I mean, I know that a lot (talk about understatements) of lazy science fiction (and historical fiction--I'm looking at you, Turtledove!) writers like to pull out the old "Humanity = Race of Innovators" bit and have every other group of sophonts be a back-asswards mess of stagnation, but still!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11138 on: August 09, 2012, 01:28:51 am »

Though it has always mystified me how Steve apparently expects us to believe that a bunch of lazy bums with low-medium level tech in everything but electronic warfare would manage to spread across the whole damned galaxy without either kicking the bucket or progressing to the point where they transcended. I mean, I know that a lot (talk about understatements) of lazy science fiction (and historical fiction--I'm looking at you, Turtledove!) writers like to pull out the old "Humanity = Race of Innovators" bit and have every other group of sophonts be a back-asswards mess of stagnation, but still!

Star swarm or Galactic invaders killed em? I dunno.

I've witnessed the star swarm and precursors duke it out before and the swarm kicks their ass every time.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11139 on: August 09, 2012, 01:31:52 am »

I knew that was the supposed reason, but I really don't understand why the galaxy is still being invaded if there was already a successful conquest millennia ago.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11140 on: August 09, 2012, 01:34:15 am »

Because now there are a bunch of new targets to conquer.

EDIT: "conquest" was the wrong tense  :-[
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:22:14 am by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11141 on: August 09, 2012, 03:18:20 am »

Because now there are a bunch of new targets to conquest.

We are hunting reserve

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11142 on: August 09, 2012, 03:36:20 am »

At least until we've outteched and outgunned them. Then we're their leading suicide method.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11143 on: August 09, 2012, 04:14:17 am »

The whole Precursor-Invader thing always seemed to me like a Master of Orion 2 backstory knockoff.

Precursor = Orions (left behind a guardian robots to protect their stuff)

Invaders = Antarians (Complete with warping into the system!)

I also never worried too much about the tech level of the Precursors: It's safe to assume that the really good stuff was destroyed in their battle with the Invaders.  The Precursor machines we encounter are the equivalent of those Gunboats that everybody uses to keep their systems from complaining about a lack of protection.  Antiquated machines that are no longer fit for the front line.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11144 on: August 09, 2012, 05:34:47 am »

The whole Precursor-Invader thing always seemed to me like a Master of Orion 2 backstory knockoff.

Precursor = Orions (left behind a guardian robots to protect their stuff)

Invaders = Antarians (Complete with warping into the system!)
The concept is much older than MOO2...
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 1347