Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818165 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11160 on: August 09, 2012, 04:18:23 pm »

I have to believe you: I can't go back there.

As for sci-fi, some depictions of Atlantis are science fiction, so that is probably the oldest.

Although, I was more interested in the beginning of the whole "Robotic gardners for old race wiped out by invader race that is still around, in space" concept.

More simply, it is one of those security-blanket concepts akin to the Farmboy With Hidden Power being raised by someone who isn't a biological parent. Tropes are not bad, etc. etc.

Hercules?  King Arthur?  Oh, you must mean that guy in red...

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11161 on: August 09, 2012, 04:44:35 pm »

More simply, it is one of those security-blanket concepts akin to the Farmboy With Hidden Power being raised by someone who isn't a biological parent. Tropes are not bad, etc. etc.

Superman?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11162 on: August 09, 2012, 04:55:05 pm »

Jesus?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11163 on: August 09, 2012, 06:12:17 pm »

Is there a way to suspend orders on a Task Force without deleting them? One of my jump cruisers ran out of fuel in the middle of shuffling teams around between three systems (the very next step on it's order list was refuel at earth, it was just a little low. It was simple enough to send a ship to refuel it, but it took forever because the "Gertrude cancels Refuel: No Fuel" error kept pausing it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11164 on: August 09, 2012, 07:52:54 pm »

al'Thor?

Is there a way to suspend orders on a Task Force without deleting them? One of my jump cruisers ran out of fuel in the middle of shuffling teams around between three systems (the very next step on it's order list was refuel at earth, it was just a little low. It was simple enough to send a ship to refuel it, but it took forever because the "Gertrude cancels Refuel: No Fuel" error kept pausing it.

I don't believe that there is.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11165 on: August 09, 2012, 07:55:47 pm »

Yeah, the best you can do is reduce the speed to 1 km/s as soon as you get a low fuel message. Then they'll pretty much stay put and not burn fuel while you can send relief.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11166 on: August 09, 2012, 10:01:50 pm »

al'Thor?

I don't believe that there is.

Aaaaah, Wheel of Time, hells yeah!
I need to put something interesting here.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11167 on: August 09, 2012, 10:56:00 pm »

I always forget, do laser warheads do anything?

Edit: And another question that I keep forgetting: Do power plants use fuel?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:33:41 pm by Felius »
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11168 on: August 10, 2012, 12:56:30 am »

I always forget, do laser warheads do anything?

Edit: And another question that I keep forgetting: Do power plants use fuel?
As noted above, laser warheads are currently broken. And no, power plants don't use fuel.

3. Run Resize Enable

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11169 on: August 10, 2012, 06:22:57 pm »

A copy from my post in the Aurora ship design bureau:

So, I'm playing with a Meson PD PDC design to throw around, and I'd like opinions on the design:

Code: [Select]
Decius class Point Defence Base    45,000 tons     3399 Crew     7819.6 BP      TCS 900  TH 0  EM 0
Armour 20-112     Sensors 1/24     Damage Control Rating 30     PPV 435.2
Hangar Deck Capacity 1000 tons     Troop Capacity: 5 Battalions   

Quad R18/C6 Meson Cannon Turret (20x4)    Range 180,000km     TS: 25000 km/s     Power 24-24     RM 18    ROF 5        1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
PDC Fire Control S08 180-25000 H50 (1)    Max Range: 360,000 km   TS: 25000 km/s     97 94 92 89 86 83 81 78 75 72
PDC Fire Control S04 90-25000 H50 (2)    Max Range: 180,000 km   TS: 25000 km/s     94 89 83 78 72 67 61 56 50 44
Inertial Confinement Fusion Reactor Technology PB-1 (22)     Total Power Output 528    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor MR5-R1 (2)     GPS 24     Range 5.8m km    Resolution 1

ECCM-4 (3)         
This design is classed as a Planetary Defence Centre and can be pre-fabricated in 18 sections
A few explanations on the design:
The extra Reactors are in case the enemy manages to get a lucky hit with a meson and destroy one of them, to allow me to keep the same rate of fire. I'm tempted to make them less likely to explode but it's probably best to wait a bit until I have further reactor tech to reduce the chances of running low on power.
I plan to have a basically dedicated sensor pdc with much larger active sensors, but as a backup I gave it a small, size 0.5 active sensor, so it can run by itself if it needs to. It has two of them so I can have a backup if one of them is taken out. (And also because I had the spare space to complete the 45000 tons, and the sensor cost little anyway.

Opinions? Should I have more turrets? Less turrets? The biggest costs in the design are basically the fire controls, should I have less of them? Ignore the costs and get a couple more?
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11170 on: August 10, 2012, 09:36:27 pm »

I only really have one question: Are you building these for a purpose, or for RP reasons? Because that is a lot of BP, a lot of crew, and a lot of minerals to use for PD, even for your homeworld, when there are only really 2 plausible threats to your own worlds, one of which can only be damaging over the very long term (Queens and their radiation emission attack), the other of which means that even if you've got PD structures you're probably screwed (an Invader plasma torpedo bombardment)

Seriously, that's close to 1.5 times the tonnage I pull for mainline cap ships at that tech level, and everything is going into an inherently immobile defense platform.

Purely in terms of effectiveness, you've got far too many turrets for the number of FCs, considering that they're all quads. My maximum for single PD turrets is usually 4-5 per FC group. Honestly, you'll probably be better off with smaller bases without the hanger and with less redundancy. That way producing a few won't completely kill your crew pool and mineral supply.

Eh, to each their own.

3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11171 on: August 10, 2012, 09:47:28 pm »

*Ninja'd, so I'll just post the basics.*

Less effort on PDCs, because the game is mostly offensive?  :P

Reduce the batallions from 5 to 1.  A marine battalion can certainly benefit from the defense/offense bonus of being in a PDC, but you really only need one to protect the PDC, and since the AI generally doesn't do invasions, that batallion plus whatever other ground forces you got should be enough.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11172 on: August 10, 2012, 09:58:58 pm »

I have not yet found any NPRs (and have not started the game with any so the early years would go faster). I'm planning to turn on the invaders, and when that comes around it's probably best if I have a strong defense to not instantly die horribly.

The amount of towers: I kept it that high as the fire controls are horribly expensive, I might as well get their worth from it.

If I reduce the FC size by a lot and set it to final fire, will it protect only the PDC or the whole planet? And what about orbiting ships?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11173 on: August 10, 2012, 10:18:27 pm »

Mesons will never have the range and speed to act as PD at anything other than Final Defensive Fire regardless of what you do. Especially not against something moving as fast as a plasma torpedo. Aurora is at its most essential a game of offense; you're honestly not likely to have enemies in your systems unless you lead them there or get wormholed, and even then if your colonies get to the point of being bombarded, you dun goofed. It's far better to put resources into ships that can kill enemies before they get near your population centers, not least because of how much easier it is to saturate enemy PD than it is to create a perfect PD network.

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11174 on: August 10, 2012, 10:45:35 pm »

What is the deal with plasma torpedos? I've never used them, before, just how fast are they?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 1347