Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816193 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10530 on: June 06, 2012, 02:24:07 pm »

Really though, this is a not-inaccurate simulation of what will inevitable happen to us (in terms of ceaseless expansion, at least). Assuming we never manage to figure out how to break physics and generate matter from nothing.
Though the question is if we would kill everybody we see without even saying anything to them first.
I tend to take John Scalzi's "Humans are Bastards" view (Old Man's War series). Basically, that as latecomers to the interstellar stage, we'd have to be completely ruthless assholes in order to carve out some territory, or else wind up either somebody else's protectorate or wiped out. Now if we were established first and *then* made contact, particularly with a lower-tech race.....wait, what am I saying? Look at our own history. We'd give them smallpox blankets or addict them to opium.

Multi-stage LR missiles and/or MIRV weapons work well, once you're high enough up in tech. At low tech levels, the inefficiencies just kill you. You wind up having to build a size 60 missile to do what a handful of size 5 missiles could do if you just closed to half the range. I tried doing something similar with using missiles to deliver geosensor buoys from distance (to quickly and safely scout new systems). It's ridiculously unworkable at a starting tech level.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10531 on: June 06, 2012, 02:30:44 pm »

using missiles to deliver geosensor buoys from distance (to quickly and safely scout new systems)
That's actually a really cool idea :o
Perhaps unfeasible at low tech levels, but still!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: June 06, 2012, 02:36:45 pm »

I tend to take John Scalzi's "Humans are Bastards" view (Old Man's War series). Basically, that as latecomers to the interstellar stage, we'd have to be completely ruthless assholes in order to carve out some territory, or else wind up either somebody else's protectorate or wiped out.
How do you know if we're late? We could be the first interstellar race around our section of space for all we know.

Now if we were established first and *then* made contact, particularly with a lower-tech race.....wait, what am I saying? Look at our own history. We'd give them smallpox blankets or addict them to opium.
The question is if they would be effected by either at all, and how fast they would find a cure for either if they are affected.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: June 06, 2012, 02:55:44 pm »

Or we'd invade their planet, and set up reservation to park them in.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: June 06, 2012, 02:58:12 pm »

[
Now if we were established first and *then* made contact, particularly with a lower-tech race.....wait, what am I saying? Look at our own history. We'd give them smallpox blankets or addict them to opium.
The question is if they would be effected by either at all, and how fast they would find a cure for either if they are affected.
The argument was intended to show prior agency, not a specific mechanism. Suffice it to say, if we found something of ours that made them sick or some chemical compound that they could be addicted to, I don't trust us not to use it to gain an imperialist advantage.

using missiles to deliver geosensor buoys from distance (to quickly and safely scout new systems)
That's actually a really cool idea :o
Perhaps unfeasible at low tech levels, but still!
I know, right? If only I could mount grav sensors on a buoy, I'd do the same to all the system survey points. The beauty of it is that once it's a feasible option, you could outfit one big-ass survey cruiser, pop into an unsurveyed system, fire off a volley of buoys, then jump out and head for the next system. The buoys would be designed to handle about 300-500 survey points' worth over time, and since you can determine survey points needed for a body before surveying it, you'd know when to fire off 2 or 3 for those really large planets. Probably wouldn't be as handy for the A-class stars and larger, just because of the huge orbital distances. But for M- and K-class systems (which you have in spades with a Real Stars start), it'd be handy. Parallel processing of multiple systems at the same time, over a few months.

If there's Precursors hanging around, you only lose a cheap buoy. And if you affix a tiny active sensor to each, you can hopefully pick up ships and populations just before the probe's destruction. The actual buoys are relatively tiny and cheap (and can be manufactured low-tech). It's the delivery system (missile *and* launcher) that are a pain. To be really useful, you'd need a distance of some 500-750 million km. More if you want to use them easily in G-class systems or larger.

If I read Steve's notes on the missile/engine rework correctly, this may actually become a LOT more feasible in the next version. Building a 500 million km range missile will be easy at low-tech...if you don't mind the "speed" being something like 500 km/s or so. You could build up a slew of sensor buoys on very slow, long-range boosters, and just seed these all over unexplored systems, and gets your automated survey results over the course of years or even decades, without any substantial risk to your ships.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 03:09:46 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: June 06, 2012, 03:51:01 pm »

That's what it looks like; the 'drone' and 'missile' distinction is being replaced by engine efficieny/power tradeoffs akin to ship engines, so you could have a 2-stage with a very efficient/low power drive and not a whole lot of fuel, which would cut down on size, even at fairly low tech.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: June 06, 2012, 03:52:57 pm »

Fuel is already a negligible part of a missile's weigh anyway.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: June 06, 2012, 04:06:02 pm »

Not if you're trying to make LRMs at low tech levels.

Assuming a WH4/15,000kmps/150m km size 6 missile (with no armor, sensors, etc.) at WHx6/Enginex4/Agix80/FuelEff0.5 tech (in other words, all equivalent levels of mid-range tech; the next level in each one is the 30,000RP cost tech), you're looking at 2.5MSP/6MSP just for the fuel capacity.

If we're talking about a very short ranged missile (the sort of thing you'd see on a FAC or frigate), at the same tech:

WH4/20,000kmps/40m km size 6, with no extra bits, you're still looking at 0.6667MSP going to fuel, which is the same as for the warhead.

So hardly negligible even for fairly short ranged missiles, and much more so for ones with a decent engagement range and speed.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: June 06, 2012, 04:07:19 pm »

Weird, I remember alwais putting a meagre 0.1 or 0.2 MSP of fuel. I need to play this again.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: June 06, 2012, 04:08:48 pm »

maybe you were using tiny anti missile missiles?

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: June 07, 2012, 02:07:15 am »

Wow this game is certainly a challenge to even get going. I will not give up.
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: June 07, 2012, 10:54:23 am »

The difference between this and dwarf fortress is that when you are initially climbing the learning curve cliff, your messups aren't nearly as hilarious as the dwarves.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: June 07, 2012, 11:25:15 am »

You kidding? Realizing that you've sent an entire fleet with tens of thousands of crew to their death because you forgot to add armor to your ships is absolutely hilarious.

3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: June 07, 2012, 11:49:20 am »

I'm tempted to take another shot at this, as I've never actually destroyed an enemy vessel in this game and it is about time.
I think ASoIaF will be my theme, with each house a type of (combat) ship...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: June 07, 2012, 02:14:53 pm »

You kidding? Realizing that you've sent an entire fleet with tens of thousands of crew to their death because you forgot to add armor to your ships is absolutely hilarious.
Or building a massive dreadnought that has everything but the kitchen sink. And, as you discover AFTER its five-year construction...fuel tanks. >_<

Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 1347