Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816222 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10545 on: June 07, 2012, 04:23:27 pm »

Or you put the wrong firecontrol and the whole ship sits there useless. Or you forgot to manually turn on actives, or shields

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10546 on: June 07, 2012, 04:43:43 pm »

Ya but in the same gist its rather forgiving and allows you to fix those problems quickly if you're smart about it. In anycase realizing that your ships have NO targetting systems right before your first battle is hilarious.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10547 on: June 07, 2012, 04:45:02 pm »

Or building a massive dreadnought that has everything but the kitchen sink. And, as you discover AFTER its five-year construction...fuel tanks. >_<
Or you put the wrong firecontrol and the whole ship sits there useless. Or you forgot to manually turn on actives, or shields
Can't you just redesign the ship and do a quick refit to add the missing parts though?

In anycase realizing that your ships have NO targetting systems right before your first battle is hilarious.
Yes.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: June 07, 2012, 09:35:45 pm »

Ya but in the same gist its rather forgiving and allows you to fix those problems quickly if you're smart about it. In anycase realizing that your ships have NO targetting systems right before your first battle is hilarious.

Just did this "Yes! precursors at 60million kilometers, i'll just sneak my FAC /AMM cruisers in to the 10 million km AMM range, meanwhile my destroyers can crawl upto their 30million click missile range."
3 mins later "Ok he's targeting my fac's, i'll launch em at full speed nd start the AMM's going once they're a bit closer"
2 mins later "AMM time..... where the frack are the fire controls for these things..... *facepalm*
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10549 on: June 08, 2012, 12:43:36 am »

Man, it's been a while since I played this. Does a missile ship need to paint its target with active sensors or can it use another ship's sensors to lock on with its missile fire control?

Also, found a system with 940 asteroids between 3 belts. Awesome stuff.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:50:03 am by Jacob/Lee »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: June 08, 2012, 01:45:50 am »

Man, it's been a while since I played this. Does a missile ship need to paint its target with active sensors or can it use another ship's sensors to lock on with its missile fire control?

It can use other sensors.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10551 on: June 08, 2012, 01:54:41 am »

It can use other sensors.
Thanks. Doesn't matter much now, though. My allies went to check out the planet... And one of their ships (I think it was a geosurvey ship) was blown up, which alerted me to the battle. Then they shoveled 200 anti-missiles onto those bases and blew both of them to hell. I think they recovered the life pod from the ship they lost, I was about to capture and torture interrogate them...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10552 on: June 08, 2012, 09:28:35 am »

Or building a massive dreadnought that has everything but the kitchen sink. And, as you discover AFTER its five-year construction...fuel tanks. >_<
Can't you just redesign the ship and do a quick refit to add the missing parts though?
Yes and no. Yes, you can, but in the case of the fuel tanks, those will add appreciable mass to the design, which often will require you to enlarge the shipyard as well, and it'll drop the top speed which may force you to add an engine or two, it adds crew which may require more crew cabins, more engineering modules....if you tend to have pretty tight tolerances in your designs, as I usually do, it's not so simple. Upgrading and refitting electronics or even weapons is relatively simple by comparison. Chassis refits are a big deal.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10553 on: June 08, 2012, 10:27:18 am »

I think its been said that you can have generalized ships that do a lot, or specialized ships that do specific things.

I prefer the specialized ships, or at least a balance between specialization and generalization. I mean, I personally cannot find any excuse to have a fleet of ships all rocking the same active sensor system, you only need one per fleet. Maybe if my ships had to fly solo a lot, but that kinda stuff really irks me.

And about fuel tanks, fuel efficiency, fuel efficiency, fuel efficiency. Or tanker ships, there's always tanker ships, if you want to micromanage your fleet enough in order to make the ships smaller.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10554 on: June 08, 2012, 10:44:32 am »

I tend to work with module-based fleets at lower levels of tech (i.e. setting up preestablished ship ratios, so that I can just scale my forces to their respective tasks. So a module would be something like 1x sensor frigate, 3x frigate, 1x jump tender or something), but once I have good enough tech to make self-sufficient ships, I almost always do so. Making an interreliant fleet does allow you to cut down on size and costs, but it also means that you are a lot more vulnerable to combat damage, which drives up costs in the long run. A specialized fleet that loses its jump tender or sensor ship is completely fucked; a fleet of JOAT ships can lose any of their number without seriously affecting the performance of the others. The only time where I really use that sort of thing is with carrier ops; a stealthed sensor ship to find targets, an AS ship to paint them, PD ships to cover the carriers, and so on.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10555 on: June 08, 2012, 11:55:41 am »

I think I am going to try an experiment by playing with a theme of space-"Age of sail" all of my ships will be rated (6th-1st etc.) and will be armed with massive arrays of plasma-carronades and some anti-missile stuff.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10556 on: June 08, 2012, 12:32:55 pm »

I use specialized ships. A tanker, a sensor ship, a collier, two anti missle ship and four anti ship ship.

I don't make bigger fleets, I make more task groups. The only concession is a jump device on each because it sucks to have an entire group stranded and a small active on anti missle ship to cover retreats.

I try to use super small ship because retooling and expanding slips sucks

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10557 on: June 08, 2012, 12:36:47 pm »

Not after you get into combat wothout fire controls. Pretty hard to refit a steaming pile of metal.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10558 on: June 08, 2012, 12:39:24 pm »

What I'd do to see this game jump off the spreadsheets D:

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: June 08, 2012, 12:43:29 pm »

What I'd do to see this game jump off the spreadsheets D:
Your imagination doesn't do that for you already?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 1347