Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818334 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9180 on: December 14, 2011, 02:02:10 pm »

Okay...well, I guess my point is that there's lots of places where it's not feasible to set up OH's. In fact, probably more places where it's not than where it is. Most places are going to be better served in the long run by automine facilities, even if there's more initial investment up front. (At least that's my take...one of the nice things about Aurora is that multiple play styles are valid)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9181 on: December 15, 2011, 06:59:10 pm »

I never have enough corundium to build that many automines. Perhaps I'm not mining aggressively enough, but I need the corundium to mine aggressively.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9182 on: December 15, 2011, 08:05:13 pm »

Isn't a 40m considered a full colony that can make trade goods?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9183 on: December 15, 2011, 09:37:43 pm »

25 million is the point at which you can change a colony away from being an automatic destination for civilian population transports. You normally start seeing small quantities of trade goods being manufactured around the 5 million mark but it doesn't reach a practical quantity until you hit the 25 million point. 40-50 million is the size of a serious manned mining colony.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9184 on: December 15, 2011, 09:41:38 pm »

Is there any actual point to the trade goods, or are they just abstract representations of wealth?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9185 on: December 15, 2011, 09:52:20 pm »

Different trade good will be produced and in demand at different colonies, so your civilians will only ship those for which you have both a source and a demand, and demand can be glutted if sufficient goods are shipped. It essentially serves to make your civilian freighters move between different colonies instead of the same route all the time. I haven't checked for a while but I seem to recall different goods having the same income per cargo hold for each good.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9186 on: December 15, 2011, 11:01:02 pm »

^this, which means nothing more than civilian ships flying around and making a bit of cash when the civvies drop off stuff. I'm not sure if picking stuff up also gives you wealth.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9187 on: December 15, 2011, 11:24:49 pm »

I vaguely recall a breakdown of it like this:

Empires recieve income for the following related to trade:
-Civilian vessels belonging to that empire carrying trade goods.
-Trade goods being imported to colonies belonging to that empire.
-Trade goods being exported to colonies belonging to that empire.

So basically you're getting wealth for the simple fact that the civvies are trading, when they pick up a load of cargo, and when they drop off a load of cargo. If they're trading with a NPR, you'll only get wealth for the sections that apply to you. In other words, if they pick up a cargo on Earth, and transport it to an alien colony, you get paid for the transport and the export, but not the import. If an alien civvie picks up a cargo at Earth and transports it to one of their colonies, you only get paid for the export.

That is as best as I recall; there might be some errors somewhere.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9188 on: December 16, 2011, 11:13:36 am »

So, I made 2 mass drivers, as long as it's on the planet, is it automatically assumed to be on and working, so that I know before I drop off the other one and all these mines?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9189 on: December 16, 2011, 11:17:35 am »

Yes, but be very careful if any freighters are shipping any drivers from the destination planet; they have a bad habit of taking all mass drivers instead of just one.

Can anyone else connect to the aurora forums?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9190 on: December 16, 2011, 11:26:50 am »

Yes, aurora forum seems fine here, although it has been quieter than normal for the past few days.

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9191 on: December 16, 2011, 12:42:38 pm »

Bah! I'm losing patience with the game. Too many errors. Too many things I would fix in the UI. I'm dealing with the multiple windows not being able to be resized since I'm using dual 23 inch wide panels (and really love the multiple windows anyways). There just needs to be better automation commands. Like making the use of a tractor beam not move tractor'd ships to different task groups. Like conditional commands sending the ship back to what it was doing instead of wiping out the orders. Like ordering 100 automines to IO instead of using the 'repeat 99' to duplicate the orders. Like updating all the open windows when stuff changes. Like being able to handle empty task groups without getting an error.

I really love the game other wise. Except that it needs *MORE* depth to it. =D

I know there is a suggestions forum. I'm mostly just frustrated that it might be years before the low hanging fruit ever gets picked (kind of like with DF).  =(

Ah well... I'm sure I'll keep playing anyway (like with DF too).

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9192 on: December 16, 2011, 01:26:20 pm »

Too many errors.
You could tell us some of the errors so we can search for the answers.

Like ordering 100 automines to IO instead of using the 'repeat 99' to duplicate the orders.
IO?

I really love the game other wise. Except that it needs *MORE* depth to it. =D
All I can do right now is glare at this line and think "R u serious?".
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9193 on: December 16, 2011, 01:32:04 pm »

Pretty sure kirrian is referring to Io, moon of Jupiter.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9194 on: December 16, 2011, 01:50:53 pm »

Oh.

Well, ordering 100 automines to Io is easy, what's your problem with it exactly, Kirrian?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 1347