Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818664 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8820 on: November 30, 2011, 09:48:27 am »

Said NPR, however, will run off and start discovering more NPRs, which can be aggrivating if they find too many and start to slow down your game.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8821 on: November 30, 2011, 10:39:11 am »

Steve has made an alteration for the next version to ensure that if you defeat an NPR and it surrenders all of it's grav survey ships will also surrender which will limit them from continuing on exploring finding more and more NPR's with their infinite fuel.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8822 on: November 30, 2011, 12:46:15 pm »

Don't we already have that? When I knock off NPRs, I tend to get all of their random ships, including gravsurvey vessels.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8823 on: November 30, 2011, 12:54:11 pm »

The code at the moment allows for gravsurvey to surrender but doesn't force all of them to do so, so you can end up with grav survey ships with infinite fuel continuing to explore new systems, triggering new NPR's far from any system you have explored, which can eventually bog down the game to a crawl.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

andreus015

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8824 on: November 30, 2011, 01:51:24 pm »

I have been playing recently but whenever I pick the research or economy tabs I get error in display population's, Help please.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8825 on: November 30, 2011, 02:47:29 pm »

Gonna need more info than that.  "An Error" is rather difficult to fix.  Screenshots and context unless you want us to spout blind nonsense.  Which I can do, if that's what you really want...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: November 30, 2011, 02:55:30 pm »

Or you could just do what I do and click until the error gives up and goes away.

3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8827 on: November 30, 2011, 03:21:12 pm »

Or you could just do what I do and click until the error gives up and goes away.
Fun times, usually the error comes back next turn.  Considering it, #1 reason I havn't been able to play Aurora for long.
1. Get hankering to play Aurora.
2. Play Aurora.
3. Get error that comes back every turn.
4. Hope it goes away.
5. If errors continue, restart game.
6. Repeat 2-5, till I give up.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8828 on: November 30, 2011, 03:23:17 pm »

I actually tend to not run into many errors, except when I do something wrong and have to figure out what is causing the divide by zero (or occasionally other) error and change it.

3. Run Resize Enable

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: November 30, 2011, 03:25:27 pm »

This game has alot of problems and bugs.I am not even thinking of playing it anymore until the creator FINALLY fixes the interface and allows for a screen resize

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8830 on: November 30, 2011, 03:41:29 pm »

This game has alot of problems and bugs.I am not even thinking of playing it anymore until the creator FINALLY fixes the interface and allows for a screen resize

Then you're never going to be playing it, as he has already outright stated that he doesn't care if people can't or won't play it for one reason or another. The interface itself is fine, if a bit clunky. You can solve issues with resolution with a combination with fixes which I am sick of reposting repeatedly.
 Set taskbar to the right of screen. Go into game menu bar, click Game Parameters, click Reduced Windows. Google ReSize Enable, download it.

We already know that no further adjustments are going to be added by Steve, so frankly people either need to stop bitching about someone not wanting to change a game which has been explicitly described as a project intended for personal entertainment and leave, or put in the five minutes of effort it takes to make it playable. I'm probably coming off a bit harsh, but I'm really damn tired of people whining about Steve not making it playable for them. Yeah, he isn't, tough shit. Life sucks. But it isn't exactly rocket science to fix it yourself, and complaining about something that very plainly is not going to change does nothing, especially when there are solutions readily available, listed out repeatedly both here and on the Aurora forums.

And hey, seeing as how I'm such a cheery fellow, I lied. Here is the link (AGAIN) to download ReSize Enable.

3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8831 on: November 30, 2011, 03:57:07 pm »

I've been wanting to play a game set entirely within a large, highly populous star system. Particularly, one with several jovian planets with moons, a couple asteroid belts, and several earthlike or teraformable worlds. Ideally, this would be a four-star system.

Unfortunately, simply generating new systems until something appropriate pops up would take a very long time indeed- I've tried hundreds of random systems only to find three or four quaternary stars, and generally these systems only have a debris field and an uninhabitable planet.

Is there a way to edit the probability of various star/planet types in the database? Failing that, is there an easy way to simply dictate the contents of a system, including the generation of a few hundred asteroids?

After looking through the database, I've been able to force a large set of nearby stars to be quaternary, and I can even give them sunlike stars. There are some settings there for different types of orbits and distances. Does anyone know what units those are in?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8832 on: November 30, 2011, 04:13:17 pm »

Units vary according to context.  Most ship units are in 10k km increments, while some orbital units are in 1 AU increments, or otherwise based off Earth in some way.  Can't say I've looked at the database, but pretty much all data for orbital distance, gravity, luminosity, etc is based on Sol or Earth, so it stands to reason this would continue.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8833 on: November 30, 2011, 04:34:56 pm »

Spoilers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8834 on: November 30, 2011, 04:44:27 pm »