Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819611 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8175 on: November 08, 2011, 03:41:54 am »

And I've deleted my games for some stupid reasons too.. ships running out of fuel then whining about it IS annoying, though, so I understand his point of view.  However, I would've just abandoned ship to shut the bastards up.  Let 'em rot in space.
There's also the option of refueling the ship with Space Master, if you really are pissed about it. If you're averted to cheating, you could also just send another ship to manually transfer the fuel to it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: November 08, 2011, 03:44:36 am »

The problem with having another ship go give it fuel is that it stops at very short increments whining about no fuel.  :\
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: November 08, 2011, 03:58:12 am »

Cancel its orders and it will stop complaining.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: November 08, 2011, 04:07:57 am »

Oh.  I knew that.  And here I was making them abandon ship all this time.   :P  Poor bastards..

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: November 08, 2011, 04:25:54 am »

Oh.  I knew that.  And here I was making them abandon ship all this time.   :P  Poor bastards..
Well, maybe they shouldn't have complained about only having 10% fuel left then.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: November 08, 2011, 06:29:21 am »

I'm curious guys - Do any of you name each individual military ship, or name only larger ones, or any at all?  I figure with enough ships this wouldn't be feasable unless you had a way to quickly come up with random names.  This is excluding commercial ships, of course.  Too many freighters too name.. waaaay too many.

For this current game, I'm going to attempt to do so, using either famous viking names or other norse names.  The ship classes themselves will be named after Norse mythology or Norwegian words, though.

Since I'm going with a well structured ship class route, having only say, 5-6 of each class-size (Frigate, cruiser, etc), I want each ship to feel like it has meaning, unlike my other games where its like Ship 001 - Ship 050.  I guess this is just thinking from a roleplayer's perspective, though..
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 06:38:02 am by Crustypeanut »

Pooky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: November 08, 2011, 07:00:02 am »

Has anyone here ever found a Trinary Star System?  I got a sun orbiting a sun thats orbiting a sun.

I even found "Quadrary" system. I don't know if quadrary is a real word...

What I mean, is 4 star.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: November 08, 2011, 08:57:36 am »

Quaternary?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: November 08, 2011, 09:31:28 am »

Well I tend to have typical scount ships and so on, but the combat fleet roughly looks like this:

Destroyers of various kind

Recon-Assault (Scanners, some laser/menson weapons)   normally around ~8000 tons or less [Really just scanners, a little extra fuel to share, sometimes a bay for a fighter or more likly a laucher for scanners)

Missle Base/Destroyer ~ Loaded with todays choice of missles, mostly at least one oversized laucher for long range and some smaller ones for mid/short range, the big laucher drops a drone or other slow-but long range weapon that then explodes into a casset rocket/missle at the things detected by the scanner drones.

Then a Destroyer Leader, often with a good admiral and fancy name, up to 16 000 Tons, oversized guns, death ray lasers - but often a copy of another Destroyer Design that has proven useful, with double plating, extra engines and spare targeting systems.

For "roleplay" reasons, I have a jump engine on every ship. Maybe even self handicap.

As the game goes on I tend to run into the swarm which doesn't care much about my missles, at that point I normally make a dedicated PEW PEW PEW FAC ship that just runs in and shots everything with a stupid amount of high speed-tracking turrets and a angry crew. They often have to be towed back to earth after a long day of suicide rushing, double fire systems are standart - so no mather what blows up, they can keep shoting. Rarly over 5000 in size.

The introduction of smaller ships is then often followed by finally using that one lane i just had on "increase size" till now - A Battleship/Dreadnought, well over 10 000, often twice that. Normally cheap Material, Railguns, mensons, 80 CM Death Ray (I imagine it in the typical turrets ontop, death ray out the front) kinda design, a lumbering, useless, missle soaking monster stuffed with automatic defense systems and enough crew to fill a city with. Its a waste of resources, but damm do I love em... and those things tend to never die either.

Another often used, little liked design is the "Radar dish the size of a moon" - a huge scanner, some armor, some CIWS maybe and its done. Provides Active Sensors, while the destroyers normally have Heat/EM and smaller Active (Mostly active only for there own engagement range and size).

Then I normally feel really cool and proud that I won everything so far and the game didn't loop into errors yet and build the

"Sleek, fancy and awesome" Destroyer Design - Expensive little things under 10 000 - with stealth engines, medium armor, box lauching middle to short range missles, one or two one-shot Scanners and crazy fast engines. They sneak up to the enemy (often found by the moon sized radar dish), close into firing distance and then release as many missles as I can before I hit overflow errors. If needed, they bombard the enemy with scanner drones, followed by enough missiles to block out the sun.

If the game did not loop into errors by now, I normally let go of all restrains.

The MOTHHAARSHIP

Is it a planet? A sun?
Being well into swarm mother size (60 000) this baby shows up then releases a endless swarm of fighters, bombers, dogfighters, menson pokers, high speed middle delivery systems of various designs that will simply blow up anything smaller then 5000 and the bigger things get locked down with microwaves and menson, while it starts shoting fighters at your general direction that slam into your ship in return and force drop pots full of angry marines up your behind. Then it floats off to suck some fuel out of a gas giant and tow it's new baby home. If I feel like playing swarmy I disassemble the victim and turn it into more ships.

If the swarm would build bomber/fighters like I do (50x box lauchers can easly fit onto a single one, still with nice speed and depending on your rocket tech easly doing 50x16 damage) ...

And then it normally loops into endless errors, if it didn't before.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8184 on: November 08, 2011, 09:52:16 am »

I'm curious guys - Do any of you name each individual military ship, or name only larger ones, or any at all?  I figure with enough ships this wouldn't be feasable unless you had a way to quickly come up with random names.  This is excluding commercial ships, of course.  Too many freighters too name.. waaaay too many.

For this current game, I'm going to attempt to do so, using either famous viking names or other norse names.  The ship classes themselves will be named after Norse mythology or Norwegian words, though.

Since I'm going with a well structured ship class route, having only say, 5-6 of each class-size (Frigate, cruiser, etc), I want each ship to feel like it has meaning, unlike my other games where its like Ship 001 - Ship 050.  I guess this is just thinking from a roleplayer's perspective, though..
I'll quite often name all of my ships using ship name generator or this one pirate ship name generator to generate random names. Some of the other name generators on that site are aso useful. this one can also be useful. For more 40k'ish names this one. Also here is a link to a site that links to many lists of real and fictional names for ships.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: November 08, 2011, 10:05:22 am »

--Snip--

When it comes to my ships I've been following the standard sizes (slightly modified for this game) for EVE Online, as I've mentioned previously:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Each ship size follows certain "Rules" I put into place that again, coincides as closely as I can to EVE.  For sanity's sake, I'll spoiler it, lol.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These are all excluding commercial ships, PDCs, and OWPs.  Although I haven't gotten around to testing much of these, so far its looking good. 

Edit:

I'll quite often name all of my ships using ship name generator or this one pirate ship name generator to generate random names. Some of the other name generators on that site are aso useful. this one can also be useful. For more 40k'ish names this one. Also here is a link to a site that links to many lists of real and fictional names for ships.

Nice! I'll look into these once I run out of names.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:17:07 am by Crustypeanut »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: November 08, 2011, 11:00:07 am »

I said it could be done, I didn't say it could be done well.  :P

I don't actually start getting into ships that large till the latter third of the respective tech trees, but I could theoretically build it. To be fully functional, though,  I'd probably be getting into the range of 250,000-300,000 tons, which wouldn't make it a battleship anymore.

Actually, according to EVE Online sized ships, 300k tons is still battleship territory.. Dreadnoughts in that game are over 1 million.

According to EVE standards of nomenclature, not mine.  :P

Correction: I build giant solid gold phalluses in Terraria. On Kael's server.  :P
That technically wasn't solid, it had plumbing. Remember? :P

1-tile wide tube with backwall and filled with magma/~30 tiles thick solid gold. Good enough. That, and that magma by all rights should have cooled and solidified. Think about what that would represent for a moment.

Has anyone here ever found a Trinary Star System?  I got a sun orbiting a sun thats orbiting a sun.   :o

And there are no less than FIVE planets with a colony cost of 1.9 - 2.5.  Three are orbiting one star, two are orbiting another.  Unsurprisingly, there are aliens.  I didn't even get to see them before my ship got blasted to bits in one missile salvo.

I've found several quaternary systems. Sadly, one of them had no planets at all, as the RNG hates me.

I set up naming systems for larger classes of military ship. This changes as my fleet grows; early on, frigates and destroyers get names. Later, only cap ships get named.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: November 08, 2011, 11:41:17 am »

Bomber fighters could also be armed with shortranged powerful warheads in boxlaunchers. But that is probably not your design philosophy.

ps
Fighting an NPC thaty is higher tech than me. Just got 4 fighters vs loss of 2 of my laser frigates (+one cripple)... hmm... I'm going to need capital missile frigates to tackle those 6000 and 14000 tonne contacts.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: November 08, 2011, 12:18:22 pm »

Has anyone here ever found a Trinary Star System?  I got a sun orbiting a sun thats orbiting a sun.   :o

And there are no less than FIVE planets with a colony cost of 1.9 - 2.5.  Three are orbiting one star, two are orbiting another.  Unsurprisingly, there are aliens.  I didn't even get to see them before my ship got blasted to bits in one missile salvo.

In my (sadly obsoleted) Holy Orthodox Empire game, I had a trinary system (dubbed Trinity...I think it was 36 Ophiuchi) with at least six semi-habitable worlds: Macedon, Epirus, Thessalia, Thessalonica, Smolensk, and I can't remember the last one. Probably would have become the capital eventually, considering there were like 500 asteroids and another 10-20 planets and 40-50 moons besides. Pretty big system, think the B-star was something like 16 AUs out.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8189 on: November 08, 2011, 12:51:41 pm »

I would love a system editor. I'd make a huge quatenary system of three stars orbiting a supergiant and disable jump gates. Hyper drives would be essential, and the changing position of the secondary stars relative to each other would cause shifting political borders. The central star would mainly have asteroids and protoplanets rich in minerals, while the outer stars would have several habitable worlds each.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 1347