Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819622 times)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8160 on: November 07, 2011, 09:44:19 pm »

wooo well i havent played this game since before the genetic modification abilities, but my god sexy, i can colonize so many planets and have a very nice concise empire in the systems i explore. Before id have huge spread out few worlds here and there kind of shit.

Beautiful.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8161 on: November 07, 2011, 10:03:41 pm »

I do not think that there are goals in this game so much as challenges or restrictions. The closest you can get to a single Megaproject is technically just a special ship, or maybe a world with x amount of x, or such. Since Aurora is generally very 'spread-out', there isn't much mega to concentrate it into, y'know?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8162 on: November 07, 2011, 10:07:00 pm »

I do not think that there are goals in this game so much as challenges or restrictions. The closest you can get to a single Megaproject is technically just a special ship, or maybe a world with x amount of x, or such. Since Aurora is generally very 'spread-out', there isn't much mega to concentrate it into, y'know?

I disagree. Eliminating all sentient and semi-intelligent life within the entire available galaxy is an excellent project.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: November 07, 2011, 10:10:16 pm »

The issue is, any "megaproject" in Aurora is purposeful.  You build a giant solid gold phallus in DF, you've done something useless and awesome.  You've got 500 construction factories on an outlying moon in Aurora, you're just progressing your empire.  There's very little that is truly pointless and a sinkhole of resources, y'know?  Setting up a big colony on a non-LP Binary system is a pretty big feat though.  Destroying precursor ships or a swarm queen with gauss cannons might be suitably impressive.  But everything you can achieve, really, is either productive or unimpressive.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: November 07, 2011, 10:14:54 pm »

I disagree. Eliminating all sentient and semi-intelligent life within the entire available galaxy is an excellent project.
Is that even possible? I don't think you can wipe out invaders, for example. And the game will just run slower and slower the more you find.

I thought of a few ideas, however:
Design the biggest, most batshit missile you can come up with. See how many it takes to render Earth uninhabitable.
Convert your entire population to an exclusively low-grav/temp species. Never genetically alter them again.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: November 07, 2011, 10:37:39 pm »

Yes, that would make sense.

The most mega-projecty thing you can do is design a crazy missile or ship, and possibly a crazy beam weapon (although beam weapons don't give as much space for craziness as missiles do).

Everything else is like what Girlinhat said, more purposeful than crazy.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: November 07, 2011, 10:40:43 pm »

The issue is, any "megaproject" in Aurora is purposeful.  You build a giant solid gold phallus in DF, you've done something useless and awesome.  You've got 500 construction factories on an outlying moon in Aurora, you're just progressing your empire.  There's very little that is truly pointless and a sinkhole of resources, y'know?  Setting up a big colony on a non-LP Binary system is a pretty big feat though.  Destroying precursor ships or a swarm queen with gauss cannons might be suitably impressive.  But everything you can achieve, really, is either productive or unimpressive.

Correction: I build giant solid gold phalluses in Terraria. On Kael's server.  :P

Building a massive ship filled with tens of millions of colonistcicles, coating it with the maximum possible armor, filling it with hundreds of millions of units of fuel and sending it on a journey to see how far it can get before it dies is both impressive and useless.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: November 07, 2011, 11:22:56 pm »

Anyone have any success with the latest version and wine?

I tried installing, but all I get is a "the system could not locate the file st6unst.exe" error.  I tried browsing manually, found it, then it said it couldn't open it.  Running Ubuntu 11.10 with wine-1.3.28.  I'd love to get into this, I love spreadsheets for some reason.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: November 07, 2011, 11:40:41 pm »

I said it could be done, I didn't say it could be done well.  :P

I don't actually start getting into ships that large till the latter third of the respective tech trees, but I could theoretically build it. To be fully functional, though,  I'd probably be getting into the range of 250,000-300,000 tons, which wouldn't make it a battleship anymore.

Actually, according to EVE Online sized ships, 300k tons is still battleship territory.. Dreadnoughts in that game are over 1 million.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: November 08, 2011, 12:11:24 am »

Correction: I build giant solid gold phalluses in Terraria. On Kael's server.  :P
That technically wasn't solid, it had plumbing. Remember? :P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: November 08, 2011, 12:48:59 am »

In Terraria, it's counted solid if it has a back wall of the same material.  That means no gold walls and stone backwalls on your phallus!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: November 08, 2011, 02:45:46 am »

Has anyone here ever found a Trinary Star System?  I got a sun orbiting a sun thats orbiting a sun.   :o

And there are no less than FIVE planets with a colony cost of 1.9 - 2.5.  Three are orbiting one star, two are orbiting another.  Unsurprisingly, there are aliens.  I didn't even get to see them before my ship got blasted to bits in one missile salvo.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8172 on: November 08, 2011, 02:49:07 am »

I think I got one of those. Then the survey ships ran out of fuel or broke or something and couldn't get back home and I didn't (and still don't) know how, so I deleted that game.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: November 08, 2011, 02:58:09 am »

Has anyone here ever found a Trinary Star System?  I got a sun orbiting a sun thats orbiting a sun.   :o
Considering EZ Aquarii, one of the nearest stars to Sol, is a trinary, I'd imagine that quite a few of the people who play this game have seen a trinary system. Also a trinary and close to sol is GJ 1245.

I think I got one of those. Then the survey ships ran out of fuel or broke or something and couldn't get back home and I didn't (and still don't) know how, so I deleted that game.
You deleted a game just for that? ???
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: November 08, 2011, 03:21:43 am »

Considering EZ Aquarii, one of the nearest stars to Sol, is a trinary, I'd imagine that quite a few of the people who play this game have seen a trinary system. Also a trinary and close to sol is GJ 1245.

You deleted a game just for that? ???

I did not know about Trinary systems XD Its neat, though.

And I've deleted my games for some stupid reasons too.. ships running out of fuel then whining about it IS annoying, though, so I understand his point of view.  However, I would've just abandoned ship to shut the bastards up.  Let 'em rot in space.
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 1347