Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819919 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7935 on: October 30, 2011, 12:56:29 pm »

Aurora is multiplayer in the same way that DF is multiplayer.

And while I can respect a good boarding party, that's gonna be TOUGH to use as your main weapon.  I encountered about 30 ships in one enemy battle, which my missiles wiped the floor with rather easily, but you'd need some massive speed and just as many dropships.  I think you're going to find yourself rapidly overwhelmed though, and will be needed conventional firepower just to mop up.

I'll come up with an alternative for mopping up.  Something brutal, preferably.  And close range.  Screw this long range missile crap where you don't even get to see your enemy.. we want to be able to see their agony with our own faces!

Also, as for multiplayer, perhaps we could, instead of doing a hotseat where each of us have our own empire, do a community empire game.  We each take one year (maybe more, since its a big game) and play it through thick and thin, then pass it onto the next chap. 

What say ye?!
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7936 on: October 30, 2011, 01:02:23 pm »

That could work and be fun.  Although at first a year doesn't have much going one, the game would switch between people quite fast.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7937 on: October 30, 2011, 01:04:42 pm »

How about 50 Years per person at first ?

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7938 on: October 30, 2011, 01:07:04 pm »

That's a bit much. Maybe 5 or 10.

Modify: Going by my current game, with a TNE start (no tech) in 2025, its been 25 years and I've encountered precursors, created an extra-solar colony, built a fleet and destroyed the precursors, and found alien ruins. My suggestion would be 10 years for the first player, 5 years thereafter.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:11:23 pm by Bremen »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7939 on: October 30, 2011, 01:07:04 pm »

I think 50 years is too long. Maybe 5-10?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7940 on: October 30, 2011, 01:11:45 pm »

So then 5-10 years it is

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7941 on: October 30, 2011, 01:16:46 pm »

5 Years sounds like its good.  Its a good term length for one leader, I would say.  Especially since Aurora is a very long game, unlike Dwarf Fortress.

I mean generally, the first year or two of DF is often devoid of major combat related events.  For Aurora, it'll be more like the first decade or two, depending on how fast we get out of the system.

The question now is - Conventional or Trans-Newtonian start?

I personally like the former, as it feels so much more realistic, even if it is slower. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:18:30 pm by Crustypeanut »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7942 on: October 30, 2011, 01:18:18 pm »

Aurora is that game where you either get Earth-threatening combat in the first years (like me bumping into the Swarm one jump away from Earth) or don't see another soul for decades.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7943 on: October 30, 2011, 01:19:25 pm »

Aurora is that game where you either get Earth-threatening combat in the first years (like me bumping into the Swarm one jump away from Earth) or don't see another soul for decades.

We'd have to prepare for the former, then.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7944 on: October 30, 2011, 01:22:36 pm »

For an LP I'd suggest conventional. It makes things more interesting.

If it's going to be a succession game anyways we could have one player whose job it is to set up an enemy using designer mode for the next player. It was always my intent that if I did another LP I would do some behind the scenes work to keep things interesting.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:24:24 pm by Bremen »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7945 on: October 30, 2011, 01:29:34 pm »

Nah I'd rather us randomly find enemies when we explore, not have another player make 'em.  The only interactions the players should have is to play their 5 years then pass it onto the next guy, then maybe have another round of it once it gets to 'em.

Your idea could be used in an alternative succession game though.

-

So, conventional era start, 5 years a piece, any other rules we need to get this community empire started? Besides of course things like no nuking our homeworld just for shits and stuff.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7946 on: October 30, 2011, 01:32:48 pm »

When (if) you do the LP, I won't play, but it would be nice if you could name a captain of a warship after me. :)

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7947 on: October 30, 2011, 01:38:08 pm »

Nah I'd rather us randomly find enemies when we explore, not have another player make 'em.  The only interactions the players should have is to play their 5 years then pass it onto the next guy, then maybe have another round of it once it gets to 'em.

-

So, conventional era start, 5 years a piece, any other rules we need to get this community empire started? Besides of course things like no nuking our homeworld just for shits and stuff.

Well, I was just suggesting it because I often have games where I expand to dozens of systems without encountering any enemies.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7948 on: October 30, 2011, 01:40:42 pm »

-

Well, I was just suggesting it because I often have games where I expand to dozens of systems without encountering any enemies.

We could always up the npr generation chance.  I think its at 30% normally, we could up it to 50% or higher.

When (if) you do the LP, I won't play, but it would be nice if you could name a captain of a warship after me. :)

Aye we can do that, when we get it started.

Edit: I'll test to see how many aliens I can find with an increased alien generation chance.. I'll simply start with research points, give myself a jump drive and lots of sensors, and go about my merry way.  This way so we can find a suitable generation % so we won't feel like we're alone, but also not so we're too crowded.  I don't want it to be quite like Spore in the sense you have 50 neighbors all pissed at you for not giving them money on a regular basis, so that they want to either shove their missiles up yer arse, preach to you about the will of Spode, or want to kill you because you're not nice enough to animals. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:42:53 pm by Crustypeanut »

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7949 on: October 30, 2011, 01:43:01 pm »

I will let everyone else choose the setup for the game but I would be willing to take part, it seems like a lot of fun.
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 1347