Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809615 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6420 on: August 28, 2011, 07:18:36 pm »

So I have a little poll here:

1) Do you add minerals via SM mode to Sol at game start?
I choose: No.

2) Do you play with the Precursors, Swarm or Invaders on?
I choose: All three.

3) If an enemy was about to land the killing blow on your empire, would you cheat and remove them to save your game?

1. No, I didn't need to since sol had 1 million + of everything (except the C one used to build mines, only ~500,000 of that) between all the planets by default. I would not have added any even if it didn't, though.

2. Precursors and swarm yes, invaders no (since I didn't and still to a degree don't know what I'm doing exactly). I might turn invaders on later, but they don't really sound like my idea of fun (I don't like arbitrarily unbeatable enemies) so maybe not.

3. Nope. I'd probably just quit the game and start over once I realized all was lost.

4. Jumpgates on all points off, though next time I play a game I might turn it on - I'm already building a jumpgate on every single JP anyway (too lazy to design/build jump ships and I've been short on P/P scientists all game for the research anyway), might as well save the time.

I don't really get the point of deleting all the enemies or giving yourself 10,000 free ships or resources or what have you. Why bother playing at all if you're going to do that?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: August 28, 2011, 07:20:26 pm »

For the skipping planet numbering thing: they get turned into asteroid belts and the numbering doesn't get redone.

1) No
2) Only Precursors, I'll end up turning Invaders on when I am prepared for them (having them before I actually build a ship isn't fun) and Star Swarm have too much possibility for errors and slowing down the game, and they use up my prescious resources.
3) No
4) Generally off, but I build the jumpgates myself.

And another question!

5) Real stars, yes or no. I have them off because I prefer my systems having unique names (Wolf XXX isn't terribly unique), it feels to me like there are more habitable planets and you have a chance of getting a nebula reasonably close (I haven't seen one in a real stars game).

<--- Getting really sick of the looping error messages that prevent you from playing; I get it, the game can't divide by zero, or calculate the travel time for 300 repeat loops of colonist transport, why not just cancel the process and let me continue playing instead of forcing me to log out and back into my computer EVERY DAMN TIME?
Why do you need to do that? Just pressing the button in the error window is enough for me.

Stop posting while I am writing my post damnit!

Real stars still randomly generates the systems, but it chooses the star from a list of real ones.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6422 on: August 28, 2011, 07:37:11 pm »

The way real star games work is all the systems are prenumbered, named, and set as far as star type and number are concerned. All it does during the game is pick which jump points link to where and generate the planets/asteroids.

I kinda like the random instead, since that way you never know what you'll get going through a system. Might find a nebula right by Sol or a trinary system with 50 planets or something. Real star games are fairly predictable.

-edit- I've only ever had one of those looping errors that you can't close, I just used task manager to end the aurora process and started my game back up and everything was fine. It was something to do with attacking robots that were on a colony, it destroyed them all then tried to process the defense part of the battle where they were attacking me and messed up since they no longer existed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:40:08 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

varsens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: August 28, 2011, 07:38:53 pm »

I have a poll!

1. How hardcore are you at video games?
I'm extremely hardcore, some people call me hardCorey.

2. Does being hardcore at video games make you a better person?
I think so. I'm clearly better than someone out to just have fun playing video games. Those guys are worthless, deserving of scorn.

3. Would you ever lie on an internet forum about how hardcore you were?
Of course not. The integrity of my claims about how badassed I am would be harmed by such a frivolous maneuver.

4. I heard that some of the options you turn on in games aren't quite so hardcore as you're making out.
Not a question, in fact none of these are actually poll questions, but if one thinks hardcore about the issue one will see that, actually, ticking those options made me even more hardcore.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:41:41 pm by varsens »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: August 28, 2011, 07:40:49 pm »

Now I think all of you are mocking me  :'(

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6425 on: August 28, 2011, 08:54:43 pm »

Now I think all of you are mocking me  :'(
Not you, just the poll.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: August 28, 2011, 10:31:35 pm »

3) If an enemy was about to land the killing blow on your empire, would you cheat and remove them to save your game?

My answers match yours. Though, to be fair, I think I've only had 3) happen once, and it involved Invaders.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: August 29, 2011, 12:33:37 am »

So, as I understand it, playing with Real Stars unchecked randomly generates the entire universe. What are the advantages and disadvantages to this? I hear there's a bug to do with deleting systems.

If you delete a system, there is a bug where every system you discover or generate after that will have the name of the system you deleted. So in one game I had 11 Proxima Centauris. But if you delete the system and switch to Real Stars, the problem is resolved.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: August 29, 2011, 12:37:52 am »

<--- Getting really sick of the looping error messages that prevent you from playing; I get it, the game can't divide by zero, or calculate the travel time for 300 repeat loops of colonist transport, why not just cancel the process and let me continue playing instead of forcing me to log out and back into my computer EVERY DAMN TIME?
Why do you need to do that? Just pressing the button in the error window is enough for me.

When you do that, it automatically brings up an identical message, regardless of how many times you click 'Ok' or close it out. It still will continue to come up if you close out Aurora using the Task Manager; I'm no programmer, but what I presume is going on is that it attempts to make a calculation it can't process (i.e. 400 repeats on a task for a ship), generates the error message, but doesn't actually end the calculation, so when you close the error report it instantly brings up the same error.

3. Run Resize Enable

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: August 29, 2011, 01:33:35 am »

I'll bite.

1) Yes, always. I start with a conventional start, and the minerals on Earth aren't really balanced for that. By the time I get into the space properly, one or more minerals has utterly crashed with no good way to get mining up. Tripling the available amounts on Earth gives me a good start. I generally don't touch the rest of the planets unless I want to amuse myself placing large deserted intact cities on Mars for archeology fun.

2) All three. Haven't run into the Swarm in any of my games, have made friends with the Precursors and Invaders. They're FUNTM

3) Nope, take a good look at what went wrong and do it better next time.

-----
To answer the Real Stars question, I believe turning off Real Stars gives the possibility of Nebulae and now Black Hole systems. With it turned on, you'll never come across one. I believe Steve has said that the Real systems are modeled as best as possible of what we know of local star systems, at least at the broad scale of things.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: August 29, 2011, 02:28:07 am »

I'm looking at a black hole system right now with real stars turned on. I haven't seen any nebulae though.

I think I read somewhere that while it's mostly real stars, some random systems exist to represent the far away systems we can't clearly see, otherwise the farther from sol you got the larger and larger stars would get (since we can see larger stars from farther away).
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: August 29, 2011, 07:22:59 am »

So, as I understand it, playing with Real Stars unchecked randomly generates the entire universe. What are the advantages and disadvantages to this? I hear there's a bug to do with deleting systems.

If you delete a system, there is a bug where every system you discover or generate after that will have the name of the system you deleted. So in one game I had 11 Proxima Centauris. But if you delete the system and switch to Real Stars, the problem is resolved.

Why would one want to delete a system?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6432 on: August 29, 2011, 08:13:07 am »

I guess they make good defensive points because they slow ships down and disable shields, as well as cutting sensor ranges. If you have a firebase on your jump point with massive sensors, armor and good weaponry you'd have an advantage.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: August 29, 2011, 08:19:32 am »

I heard somewhere they disable missiles, is this true?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: August 29, 2011, 10:25:09 am »

Why would one want to delete a system?

Because it was the umpteenth damn empty system in that chain, as well as being a dead end. That was my only chain that hadn't dead-ended yet.

I heard somewhere they disable missiles, is this true?

Yes, they do.

It could be useless to you, it may have enemies in it that you don't want to deal with, it could be nebulous, etc.

Is there any reason to want a nebula in a system? Everyone speaks of them fondly, yet all I know they do is sloooooow you doooooown.

They disable missiles, reduce ship speed so that less armor = lower speed, they have adverse effects on various electronics... Essentially, they're the space equivalent of natural defenses, as all you need to do to defend them is design a class with high armor and heavy beam weapons, then drop a few on each warp point that leads to hostile territory.

Actually, I've been wondering: Do nebulae disable plasma torpedos? I'm assuming they don't both because PTs are nominally EW, and because that would screw with balance regarding Invaders.

EDIT: DAMN IT MY ONE FUCKING POWER & PROPULSION RESEARCHER WAS KILLED IN AN "ACCIDENT" WHEN HE WAS ALMOST DONE WITH RESEARCHING THE INERTIAL CONFINEMENT ENGINE  >:(
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:40:27 am by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 1347