Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809597 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6405 on: August 28, 2011, 03:55:15 pm »

Yeah I usually SM to ensure one/two other decent source(s) of minerals in Sol as well as making Jupiter or Saturn a good sorium source.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6406 on: August 28, 2011, 04:30:44 pm »

I just take what I get. It isn't hard to ship in minerals from other systems. When I find a system with good resources I always set up a base, preferably on a world that I can terraform to 0 col cost but if none exist I put it on a rock near the JP. Then I put 1 mass driver there and mines if it has resources, and then load the rest of the system's mineral deposits down with automated mines and mass drivers and have them all sent back to the main base. Then every so often I send a cargo fleet to haul the minerals back to Earth.

If it's a habitable world I'll add a few fuel refineries and construction factories and enough maintenance facilities to maintain my cruisers. That way it's a stop off for my exploration ships to refuel and resupply and retrofit and I can station cruisers there to protect it without their maintenance clocks going up. Eventually I put in ordnance factories and fighter factories so it can fully resupply my military ships.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: August 28, 2011, 04:38:09 pm »

If you really want to give yourself some time to build up, set the number of starting NPRs to 0 and spend a few years just building up Sol. Once you feel comfortable, have decent-sized colonies and terraforming operations along with a good-sized navy you can start expanding rapidly to find habitable worlds.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: August 28, 2011, 04:39:22 pm »

So I have a little poll here:

1) Do you add minerals via SM mode to Sol at game start?
I choose: No.

2) Do you play with the Precursors, Swarm or Invaders on?
I choose: All three.

3) If an enemy was about to land the killing blow on your empire, would you cheat and remove them to save your game?
I choose: No.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6409 on: August 28, 2011, 04:49:35 pm »

Pointless poll is pointless but I will fill it in anyway.

Depends. 95% of the time, no.

Swarm and Precursors only unless/until I feel up to the challenge of Invaders.

3) If an enemy was about to land the killing blow on your empire, would you cheat and remove them to save your game?
Depends on how long I spent on them and how much I care about them.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: August 28, 2011, 04:50:29 pm »

Well, duh, almost every poll in history is pointless :P

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6411 on: August 28, 2011, 04:53:34 pm »

1. No

2. Not invaders lately. Almost every time I've played with them they pop up in Sol after a few years and wipe me out before I'd even have a fighting chance. Maybe I'm unlucky. I think I'll enable them soon though, since my tech is getting up to the point where I can probably defend myself.

3. No. The only time this has happened to me has been invaders though.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: August 28, 2011, 04:54:43 pm »

1. Depends on what kind of game I'm playing. If I'm going for max combat, I'll set all Earth resources to Acc. 1 and several hundred million tons, if I'm playing a normal buildup game I just make sure that the initial gen included every mineral; if it didn't, I know to get offworld fast and start expanding.

2. All of them, all the time. In games where I don't SM the minerals I might leave the Invaders off for a couple years if I get a really shitty start.

3. Nope. Them's the breaks.

How about a 4th question?

4. Do you play with Jump Gates on All Points on or off? Why?

I typically play with it on, because it increases the pace of the strategic game. You can't really afford to sit around with your thumb up your butt building up your economy when a Hive or a bunch of Invaders could follow one of your ships home like lost, omnicidal little puppies.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:06:38 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: August 28, 2011, 05:08:34 pm »

I do, simply because I don't like wasting my time with these jump tenders and adding these jump engines the size of buildings and shit, I prefer to be able to move anything anywhere at any time under its own power.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6414 on: August 28, 2011, 05:10:44 pm »

That also.

Huh, just found a system with a total of one body, a 1.90 cost terrestrial world. Well, that'll keep things simple.

3. Run Resize Enable

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: August 28, 2011, 05:20:09 pm »

Only two JPs out of Sol in my new game... One contains one star and nothing else, and the other is tri-star empty system...

Thankfully both have 3-4 JPs. I've got 3 geo-survey fleets and 2 grav-surv teams exploring one system at a time, and already found a 0-cost planet in the 3rd system I explored. 4th has some cost 2's, and I'll hit the next system as soon as I'm done surveying.

I'm going to take this one nice and slow, since my weapons tech is seriously lagging behind...
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: August 28, 2011, 05:26:08 pm »

Pointless polls are the best kind!

Nope. The only time I mess with minerals in SM mode is when I'm trying to start a game in a randomly generated system.

Usually not the Invaders, but honestly I rarely play Aurora long enough to run into either of the others.

Nah. I don't even have the database password, so I would not be able to do anything if I wanted to.

4. Do you play with Jump Gates on All Points on or off? Why?
Depends. Most of the time I play with them off, unless I'm roleplaying a universe with perfectly stable wormholes. Needing jump tenders for military expeditions forces you to send ships in waves rather than one large mass, making wormhole defense (for both sides) much more effective. It seems more epic that way.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: August 28, 2011, 05:30:45 pm »

Well, this time my military will hopefully be up to par. I've got two close-attack destroyer squadrons of four ships each, armed with 6 quad 10cm X-ray lazer turrets + 2 20cm hull-mounted of the same; two missile destroyer squadrons, also of 4 ships each, with decent speed and magazine capacity; one group of 4 PD-saturation cruisers armed with 60 33% reduced size-1 launchers; one group of the same, except with 10 size-16 launchers fitted for my two-stage saturation missiles; four unarmed but very fast for this tech scouts (10,389 kps via 70 magneto-plasma drives. Yes, they were specifically designed to be able to run from Swarm FACs) and good sensors (passives are size-50); and finally one group of supply ships with deep magazines and fuel tanks. Hopefully this will be able to take care of most threats until I can field a true fleet that is designed to work together.

Watch, ten minutes from now I'll get wiped by Invaders or some such because I don't have high-strength warheads or mesons.

Okay, is it sad that I've been researchingusing wikipedia on the class names for my theme to find the names of other ships of that class in real life, and then using that to name other ships of the class ingame?

On the topic of wormhole defense: Nothing is more effective than fifty 300,000 ton warp point defense fortresses sitting on top of the point with dozens of mesons each.

<--- Getting really sick of the looping error messages that prevent you from playing; I get it, the game can't divide by zero, or calculate the travel time for 300 repeat loops of colonist transport, why not just cancel the process and let me continue playing instead of forcing me to log out and back into my computer EVERY DAMN TIME?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:03:10 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: August 28, 2011, 07:11:30 pm »

So, as I understand it, playing with Real Stars unchecked randomly generates the entire universe. What are the advantages and disadvantages to this? I hear there's a bug to do with deleting systems.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6419 on: August 28, 2011, 07:16:42 pm »

From what I can understand, the entire universe is generated randomly no matter what you check. Having Real Stars merely names stars after real life stars.
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 1347