Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fractal Fortress Designs  (Read 10550 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Fractal Fortress Designs
« on: January 08, 2010, 01:14:42 am »

Right now I'm working on making a design for a fortress I plan on building when the new version comes out. As a fractal fortress, efficiency is not it's main point, but rather geometric aesthetics are, though efficiency is always a plus. I was wondering of anyone knew of any good fractal fortresses I might be able to look at and draw ideas from.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

zlaper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Fractal Fortress Designs
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 03:08:15 am »

Although I'm a very new DF player. I personally prefer aesthetic design to efficient design.

This is my first fortress. I'm experimenting a lot with diagonal pathways and circular rooms.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-20736-bedroomdesign

I've started a new fortress now. Will upload when it's a bit more presentable! :P

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 04:35:22 am »

Got any good fractal generating programs? Those are good for generating some ideas.

The only decent one I can recall is pretty darn old. Fractint.

You may need DOSBox to run it though.

I also have a decent design in this fort: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=47579.0

Not much, but it works. Check all the floors. (Dining and workshop/warehouse)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:40:52 am by Itnetlolor »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 05:01:50 am »

You gave link to THIS topic.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 05:50:28 am »

The thread below has got some nifty designs in it, its pretty much bedroom complexes only but it can give you ideas for full fort designs.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=16901.0

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:49:16 pm »

Thanks for the input guys. I think I have a good design for a bedroom/dining room combination(it can fit 148 citizens + 8 nobles = 156 dwarves. Now I just need to work on workshops/storage areas.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 01:29:10 pm »

Say, is this fortress going to be fractal in all 3 dimensions? Because that would be awesome.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 02:52:35 pm »

Say, is this fortress going to be fractal in all 3 dimensions? Because that would be awesome.

The mandelbulb fort!

EDIT: Do we have any macros around here that can make designations from a bitmap? That would be invaluable for a fractal fort.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 02:57:51 pm by orbcontrolled »

darkrabite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 03:24:57 pm »

Speaking of fractals and macros, i've been working on a macro for this design which was linked off of the bedroom thread.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i'm about 80% done with it, i'm still working on the waterway section.  I've been using autohotkey, i wasn't sure if there was a standard for the forums regarding macros.  I also still haven't figured out how to power the pumps :/

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 04:19:27 pm »

Although I'm a very new DF player. I personally prefer aesthetic design to efficient design.

This is my first fortress. I'm experimenting a lot with diagonal pathways and circular rooms.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-20736-bedroomdesign

I've started a new fortress now. Will upload when it's a bit more presentable! :P

DEAR GOD MAN! thats like everything i've ever brainstormed but never had the patience to do.

I'd totally have your babys if you gave me a designator with these designs because circles are way to much goddamn effort lets not even speak of fractals.

GameHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 08:21:52 pm »

I am a huge fan of the Mandelbrodt bedroom design fractal on the DF wiki. 

No, I didn't designate that by hand.  In one of the older threads theres a nice macro to dig it out.

Here's how it looked in one of my less impressive fortresses:  WindSalve.  Click the "fractal bedroom design" point of interest to see it.  At this point I kinda got burnt out on the fortress - the bedroom complex is mined out but a large chunk of it is unfurnished and unsmoothed.  Sadly, I didn't continue this fortress - I got a bit burnt out on DF and took a break from it.  The save was deleted in one of several HD wipes.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:23:56 pm by GameHat »

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 11:29:15 pm »

I could never get any of those macros to work which one did you use?

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 11:41:17 pm »

Speaking of fractals and macros, i've been working on a macro for this design which was linked off of the bedroom thread.

i'm about 80% done with it, i'm still working on the waterway section.  I've been using autohotkey, i wasn't sure if there was a standard for the forums regarding macros.  I also still haven't figured out how to power the pumps :/

Holy shit! Is that supposed to make it so that there's a waterfall in every room?
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 11:47:48 pm »

Holy shit! Is that supposed to make it so that there's a waterfall in every room?
I noticed there's a missing Z-level (Z-3). I assume that's an open ground where parts of the fort can be split apart for specialized tasks.

Not bad, not bad at all.
Pages: [1] 2