Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Real Wagon  (Read 22144 times)

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Wagon
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 08:31:21 am »

One of the variants I have in mind is taking six dwarves and cramming them into a one space hole in the ground surrounded by walls. The seventh dwarf (the leader) will be responsible for continually growing plump helmets, brewing some and then dumping them on the dwarves. This can be run indefinitely until something upsets the system. Maybe every once and a while they will get a few bucketfuls of water dumped on them to freak them out.

Why not have that 1 dwarf play a hermit challenge, this is just a neat new way to dispose of immigrants. When spring comes around, the social club gets new members as well as plump helmets dropped on their heads.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 09:21:54 am »

The liaison does not need to report on your fortress wealth for you to get migrants. I've gotten migrants in the first summer, which would obviously preclude that. It might be a factor, but it's not a requirement.

No, but I believe it is the liaison that reports the change in your fortress wealth each year. If you embark in a location with a cave or other sources of wealth just lying on the ground the mountainhome might already think your location has enough wealth to warrant sending out a few migrants before you even see the liaison.

I haven't paid too much attention to what happens after the liaison dies. I still receive migrants, but they might just be replacing dead dwarves. I'm not sure because I'm usually at my pop cap when the liason finally is ambushed and killed.

Does that aply to Recruits aswell? I drafted a ranger yesterday and 2 seconds (litteraly) later he got a mood...

To be more exact, military dwarves with a combat skill don't go into moods. So no, it does not apply to recruits.

Why not have that 1 dwarf play a hermit challenge, this is just a neat new way to dispose of immigrants. When spring comes around, the social club gets new members as well as plump helmets dropped on their heads.

Oh, that one dwarf will almost certainly be locked into a fortress by themselves. Can't have any outside dwarves influencing the experiment now, can we? Any migrants will be left to fend for themselves as feral dwarves outside in the wilderness. With enough vermin and a fresh water supply feral dwarves can survive for years if they don't kill each other or go insane and drown themselves.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 10:11:59 am »

In the autumn the caravan came. One of the guards had his arm torn off by an undead groundhog and died on the side of the mountain. The liason, unable to get inside, decided to hang around. In fact, he hung around for THREE YEARS, occasionally being chased around the map by skeletal animals.

awww, poor liason.
shoulda let the liason inside the wagon, or atleast give him his own little wagon.

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 11:41:57 am »

The liaison does not need to report on your fortress wealth for you to get migrants. I've gotten migrants in the first summer, which would obviously preclude that. It might be a factor, but it's not a requirement.

No, but I believe it is the liaison that reports the change in your fortress wealth each year. If you embark in a location with a cave or other sources of wealth just lying on the ground the mountainhome might already think your location has enough wealth to warrant sending out a few migrants before you even see the liaison.

I haven't paid too much attention to what happens after the liaison dies. I still receive migrants, but they might just be replacing dead dwarves. I'm not sure because I'm usually at my pop cap when the liason finally is ambushed and killed.
I've had liaisons die very early (generally to showing up in the middle of an orc siege). I still get migrants just fine, and given the low levels of death in my forts, they certainly aren't just replacing lost dwarves.

Also, I've had migrants show up in the summer in forts that had no obvious wealth. We're talking small embark on a scorching volcano with no other map features or sedementary rock here. That fort had to scramble to get the local pools underground before they evaporated...
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 01:37:44 pm »

Well, I still think we don't know the whole formula. At least *I* don't know the whole formula. Most of the time the timing and quantity of immigrants is completely unexpected. I've had forts where the more dwarves that died, the more immigrants showed up.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 01:48:34 pm »

I think you could create quite the strange-science fiction society of effete, legendary socializers and filthy feral dwarves.  Once Toady gets the procedural culture going, that would create one heck of a mixed society.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 02:22:07 pm »

What I'd find interesting is trying to run an actually functional fort in as small a space as possible. Plop down a farm plot, plant some mushrooms, harvest them, tear up the plot, put down a distillery, brew the mushrooms, tear up the distillery, put down a kitchen, cook the booze...

One of the variants I have in mind is taking six dwarves and cramming them into a one space hole in the ground surrounded by walls. The seventh dwarf (the leader) will be responsible for continually growing plump helmets, brewing some and then dumping them on the dwarves. This can be run indefinitely until something upsets the system. Maybe every once and a while they will get a few bucketfuls of water dumped on them to freak them out.

Neat idea, but sooner or later, one of them will go moody.  As I recall, moods are supposed to be affected by the number of underground spaces revealed.  Not a problem in the original experiment because you never actually struck the Earth.  If you go with your new experiment, you at least need underground space for the plump helmets.  If you can find a good way of dealing with that, however, it'd be a great experiment provided the grower continues to live.  You might even be able to go indefinitely if you can throw food/booze down to the others and either wall off the outside world or turn off invasions.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 02:35:47 pm »

Neat idea, but sooner or later, one of them will go moody. As I recall, moods are supposed to be affected by the number of underground spaces revealed.
I'm pretty sure you only get moods once you hit the 20-dwarf mark. But you should be careful with wealth and immigrants. If you produce too much wealth, you'll get a 15-dwarf wave and from that point on, your dwarves will get moody, even if you kill everyone but the 7 founders.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 02:48:15 pm »

So long as the provider dwarf doesn't dig out too many tiles (IIRC an entire 48x48 section's worth), you won't get a mood.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 10:20:54 am »

I started another experiment, but I think I'm going to abandon it. I walled six dwarves into a 1x1 space with a hole above them so that food can be dropped in and a pit to one side where they can drop empty barrels to be collected. The seventh dwarf does nothing but grow plump helmets, brew them and cook some of the wine into biscuits. Essentially the dwarves would be surviving on mushroom wine and mushroom wine boiled down into biscuits. Yum.

I noticed that in the 1x1 square my dwarves were getting drowsy and just collapsing rather than in the 3x3 wagon where they actually

The problem is that this experiment requires constant supervision. While farming the 'shrooms is easily automated, the brewing job needs to be periodically restarted and the cooking job needs to be monitored so all the wine isn't cooked away. Initially I was just going to drop the plump helmets into the pit but I quickly realized that they left a lot of seeds around which might skew their happiness. Besides, brewing then cooking stretches a plump helmet further and I don't care about the cheesiness for this experiment. Then I need to mark the full barrels to be dumped into the experiment pit, and unforbid them once they are in the pit. The empty barrels need to be marked for dumping and unforbidden so that the seventh dwarf can refill them.

I think I'm better off modding the game to start with a bazillion points or something and just bring 20 years of food and drink. I could then set it to save every year and study each year's save point and chart the data.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 05:05:44 pm »

I think I'm better off modding the game to start with a bazillion points or something and just bring 20 years of food and drink. I could then set it to save every year and study each year's save point and chart the data.

Sounds like to better of the 2, besides I love charts.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 08:20:22 am »

I started another experiment, but I think I'm going to abandon it. I walled six dwarves into a 1x1 space with a hole above them so that food can be dropped in and a pit to one side where they can drop empty barrels to be collected. The seventh dwarf does nothing but grow plump helmets, brew them and cook some of the wine into biscuits. Essentially the dwarves would be surviving on mushroom wine and mushroom wine boiled down into biscuits. Yum.

I noticed that in the 1x1 square my dwarves were getting drowsy and just collapsing rather than in the 3x3 wagon where they actually

The problem is that this experiment requires constant supervision. While farming the 'shrooms is easily automated, the brewing job needs to be periodically restarted and the cooking job needs to be monitored so all the wine isn't cooked away. Initially I was just going to drop the plump helmets into the pit but I quickly realized that they left a lot of seeds around which might skew their happiness. Besides, brewing then cooking stretches a plump helmet further and I don't care about the cheesiness for this experiment. Then I need to mark the full barrels to be dumped into the experiment pit, and unforbid them once they are in the pit. The empty barrels need to be marked for dumping and unforbidden so that the seventh dwarf can refill them.

If you use wells, you won't have to worry about brewing drink for the dwarves, which decreases necessary micro-management. Sure, the prisoners will become sober and depressed, but it's not as if they're doing critical work. The provider dwarf can continue to drink some of the alcohol he's booze-cooking.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 02:31:42 pm »

If you use wells, you won't have to worry about brewing drink for the dwarves, which decreases necessary micro-management. Sure, the prisoners will become sober and depressed, but it's not as if they're doing critical work. The provider dwarf can continue to drink some of the alcohol he's booze-cooking.

I don't know why but the thought of not giving my dwarves alcohol never even crossed my mind.

Shadetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 05:02:35 pm »

I embarked in a 2x2 with a pick, 6 wood,  1 platinum block, 1 plat nugget, GCS silk rope, 7 barrels, 7 plump helmets, 6 GCS silk bags and a cat.

dug into the hillside
built a mechanism from the plat nugget
built a bucket from wood
built a meeting hall/well near a bauxite bubble(lucky that)
deconstructed the mechanic shop
deconstructed the wagon
built 7 beds
deconstructed the carpenters
walled myself in with for an small open air refuse pit

plopped down a 2x4 farm and enough storage for food and containers.

smoothed and engraved the bauxite meeting hall.

I should have brought one more piece of wood for a table to keep track of inventory but oh well.

No to let it run.  I'm getting around 800 fps so shouldn't take long ;D

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 05:40:19 pm »

Just giving them a well will give them a negative thought from lack of alcohol.

brewing then cooking stretches a plump helmet further and I don't care about the cheesiness for this experiment.
I think I'm better off modding the game to start with a bazillion points or something and just bring 20 years of food and drink.

If you don't mind about modding why not give dwarves [NO_EAT] [NO_DRINK] and remove [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]? No mess and nothing to skew the results.   
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:22:04 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4