Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Real Wagon  (Read 22140 times)

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Wagon
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 01:21:54 am »

How long did it take them to max out their attributes? This could be even better than a Pump Gym! Build a little enclosure right outside the main wall and make all immigrants go through the Ellis Island Charm School before they're let into the fortress proper.

"Oh look, another group of Urist McSlobberchins. Throw some ale over the wall and don't let anyone in unless he's stronger than a muskox and could small-talk your ears off!"
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 01:47:13 am »

How long did it take them to max out their attributes? This could be even better than a Pump Gym! Build a little enclosure right outside the main wall and make all immigrants go through the Ellis Island Charm School before they're let into the fortress proper.

"Oh look, another group of Urist McSlobberchins. Throw some ale over the wall and don't let anyone in unless he's stronger than a muskox and could small-talk your ears off!"

That's the best part, attributes don't max out!  They're only displayed up to level 4, but they'll keep increasing practically forever.  That's how you get a dwarf like Morul (The Most Interesting Dwarf In The World) who literally runs around crossbow bolts, knocks orcs across embark tiles, and regenerates any regeneratable wound in a step or two.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 01:52:19 am »

That's the best part, attributes don't max out!  They're only displayed up to level 4, but they'll keep increasing practically forever. 

OK let me revise that, then. How long did it take for them to notch at least Mighty/Unbelievably in each attribute? How does that compare to a pump gym/siege-operator school setup?

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2010, 02:28:12 pm »

"They're so... uncivilized."  Wait until Toady brings in tradition, then you'll have old Grampy McSolbberchins constantly having bad thoughts as a result of all the glib, strong dwarves.

"Ach, back in my day, if you dinnae accidentally spit half-chewed plump helmet on the lass you was courtin' while reciting ver' bad poetry, tha' meant ya dinnae love her."
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 07:04:10 pm »

I once embarked on an utterly worthless map - it was just one big glacier with some stone at the bottom, the first 2 years I had dwarves living in the snow/ice and doing nothing but partying half the time or farming/making some rock craft. I bought hardly anything from the caravan and requested nothing but wood from the liason. The fortress was dirt poor with no beds for anyone (except one bed assigned to a dwarf if he gets hurt) , complete crap for industry and just crap all over, yet I got migrants in the 30's like every year.

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 12:20:24 am »

Just giving them a well will give them a negative thought from lack of alcohol.

brewing then cooking stretches a plump helmet further and I don't care about the cheesiness for this experiment.
I think I'm better off modding the game to start with a bazillion points or something and just bring 20 years of food and drink.

If you don't mind about modding why not give dwarves [NO_EAT] [NO_DRINK] and remove [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]? No mess and nothing to skew the results.   

Eating and drinking, in all their various ways (eating always the same thing or drinking just water or wine) affects the moods of the dwarves and unless I missed the point of this experiment entirely I thought happyness mechanics had a big role to play.

If you want a completely automated system, assuming you have an hermit provider, I suggest including well in there and make that 1x1 tile they stand on a grate with a drain under it. The food delivery system (wine roasts) can be a stockpile (prepared meals only) in a corridor which periodically (using a repeater) will flood from one end (in a  diagnoal so it isn't pressurized) and the other end of the corridor falls on the dwarves, delivering the food. I'm not that familiar with fluid mechanics when it comes to pushing around objects so you'd probably have to do some experimenting to see what it takes to push around prepared meals. Not to sure as to what repeater you should for this sort of design as you have to account for your hermit who is coming in and out of there to not be caught in the flood. I reckon just having a door to access should be plenty to ensure his safety and keep the water in. 

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 09:24:49 pm »

I see a lot of concern about moods mucking up these experiments.  You can fix that, you know.  IIRC the [trANCES] tag (or whatever it's called) enables moods in addition to martial trances.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 10:01:28 pm »

I see a lot of concern about moods mucking up these experiments.  You can fix that, you know.  IIRC the [trANCES] tag (or whatever it's called) enables moods in addition to martial trances.
Nope. Moods affect any race you play, regardless of trances.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 10:25:53 pm »

...Unless you turn artifacts off in the init.txt.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 11:24:48 pm »

I stand corrected, then.  Must've been some misinformation here or on the wiki once upon a time, though, since I'm pretty sure I didn't make that up.  :P

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2010, 11:46:32 am »

In the autumn the caravan came. One of the guards had his arm torn off by an undead groundhog and died on the side of the mountain. The liason, unable to get inside, decided to hang around. In fact, he hung around for THREE YEARS, occasionally being chased around the map by skeletal animals.

God I love this game.

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2010, 08:56:41 pm »

In the autumn the caravan came. One of the guards had his arm torn off by an undead groundhog and died on the side of the mountain. The liason, unable to get inside, decided to hang around. In fact, he hung around for THREE YEARS, occasionally being chased around the map by skeletal animals.

When I ran my own experiment, the liason negotiated with me through the wall. I was quite surprised, as I was looking forward to seeing how well he dealt with the local wildlife.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2010, 04:19:57 am »

When I ran my own experiment, the liason negotiated with me through the wall. I was quite surprised, as I was looking forward to seeing how well he dealt with the local wildlife.

When I heard about this I tried to force dwarves to socialize through walls.  Seems like it's just liason meetings though ):
Setup was like
Code: [Select]
#+#+#
#D#D#
#####
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2010, 05:02:29 am »

I am thinking:

Code: [Select]

#####
#~~~#
#~~~#
#o.=#
#####

# - wall
~ - farm tile, sun berries being planted (each tile being its own plot, possibly diversifying.)
o - well (must build above river/pool)
= - seed stockpile
. - ground, maybe a grate to allow fishing?

This should be fairly self suficient once you set up farms.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2010, 02:33:53 am »

Tried to set it up. Suprisingly, this is very prone to tantrum spiral:

Typically, it goes something like this:

Embark with 20 blocks, 20 logs, 2 barrels, 5 bags, 2ropes, 4 stones.

Build well, seed stockpile, walls, gather plants so that dwarves eat them and produce seeds, once enough seeds are accumulated, draft everyone but one to military and station inside, have one wall em up inside.

1st attempt:

Everything goes fine, except one carp-caused death them building well, but one dwarf was fairly unhappy and got even more unhappy though from drafting and from subsequent release, he started tantruming and killed dwarf, a lover of expedition leader.

Expedition leader got unhappy because of it, of course, having to endure decay of two dwarves as beng yelled at and recent draft. He started tantruming and startef fistfight. Cue in dwarf of other dwarves to make sure he behaves, his hammering and death.

Suprisingly, one of his friends got extatic because of this as he was ellected Expedition Leader, which did not last long because he fell to carp that came through fishing grate.

With only three left, all miserable, i gave up on this attempt when it started raining.

2nd attempt went similary:

In the end, only two dwarves were left: Extatic expedition leader (curiously, only expedition leaders died in this attempt, so each dwarf got his turn of being extatic, then yelled at a lot and killed by carp.). Luckily, inital cat couple bred like rabbits and subsequent carp attacks killed of kittens.

In the end, 6 farm tiles ended up being more than enough to feed dwarves, two types of food kept them stable ("ate decent meal recently"), well kept giving them happy thoughts, and generally with expection of 5 friends slowly rotting downstream, everything was just fine. Male kept getting flatterer skill, even. Same that female, expedition leader, kept mouring her lover/fishfood.

3rd attempt:

Planning building on top of cliff so that carp related deaths become thing of the past, wondering whether fishing will work across z-levels, the same way that well works.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4