Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Quest: Above-water Mega-Fortress  (Read 9283 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: CHALLENGE: Above-water Fortress
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 10:39:55 pm »

Its an Isolation Chamber. Seal the Philosopher in because it gives him a chance to meditate, or seal the Hammerer in because nobody likes the Hammerer.  :D

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 11:04:27 pm »

You could give him a small farm plot and let him feed himself, but that might defeat the purpose.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2010, 03:26:53 am »

Put a chair in the room with that dwarf, designate it as an office, and make him the Manager and Bookkeeper.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2010, 03:40:15 am »

Put a chair in the room with that dwarf, designate it as an office, and make him the Manager and Bookkeeper.

the ultimate internship, eh?
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2010, 11:17:04 am »

You should make a tower for any gabbos you cage. But make the tower so you can drop the whole thing in to the water. Lots of work for a drowning chamber...but thats the dwarf way! Bonus points if on the top floor of the tower is your nobles rooms!

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2010, 12:03:23 pm »

Have you read the rest of the thread? I have special accommodations for the nobles in a tower made out of 100% pearlash. I've already thought of an appropriate death for them, too.

This project has turned into something bigger than I foresaw, which is a rarity (the foresight part). I'm into my fortress's 6th year now. This last winter was a bust because of a siege. The dwarves spent half of the winter gathering goods from the gobs' corpses. No dwarves were lost in the debacle, but my axeman did sustain an arm injury and walked himself back to his wife's bed to rest. At the same time, an elven diplomat came to my fortress (5 dwarfbucks if you can guess what I answered), and ironically, my axeman is a woodcutter.

I reshaped the Noble Tower and opted to use 100% pearlash for both the walls and floors. Make it extra expensive for the nobles. I'm also using Diorite for the 2nd floors of the residential district, and in between them will be a path up to the east that will be the Barracks. As I make the 2nd floor, the first residents into the megastructure are slowly being moved in. First will come the beds, then cabinets and finally chests. Once I expand the basement to fill the entire bottom of the first floor of the main fortress, I will start punching out holes to put in walls and other things. I will also maybe make a few special pictures. Here's an example of one I made last night.

Quest Complete! 41/31

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2010, 12:11:19 pm »

Well done sir *bows*
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2010, 03:09:47 pm »

Ok thats just awesome. You win.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2010, 05:07:59 pm »

Heh. Coolface picture. Win.
They started to collide~

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2010, 09:57:48 pm »

Ok thats just awesome. You win.

Why yes, it is :awesome:. :smug:

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Re: Quest: Above-water Mega-Fortress
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2010, 03:29:12 pm »

Alright, next update.

7th year is about to start. My axedwarf is almost fully healed now and was able to survive the one month freeze (since water can't be brought to him since it's all frozen and I lack a reservoir); thank Armok for Superdwarvenly Toughness. This freeze was spent fixing some issue in the basement. From what I witnessed, an ice floor that is covered in water by even 1/7 will disappear if the water freezes. *That explains that collapse during the defrost last year* Now I'm setting up floodgates and doors to help stop flows into rooms that are completed from rooms that are incomplete.

In preparations for future sieges against goblins and possibly elves, I am remaking the entrances to my base. Going off of <name>'s idea, I made a ramp going up to a second floor that goes down a long pathway with retracting bridges in a 7x40 dimension. A siege comes in, I pull the lever, the enemy forces fall into the pit of doom underneath. The pit is lined with glass spike traps. I'll see if I can make enough spikes to put 10 on each trap. That's an assload of spikes. 7x50x10 = 3500 spikes.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2010, 12:25:47 pm »

Another update. The 7th winter was another big bust because of another siege of 80 gobs. 22 of them survived due to my two dwarves mucking about and my own personal error of not making the lever for the pit of doom.

One cool thing, however, did occur. During the siege, my axedwarf (who I nicknamed Butcher Pete for obvious reasons) entered a martial trance and ran right into a fresh squad of gob pikemen and axemen. All you could see is him run into the midst of them, then dance around them and suddenly the entire wall and floor is sprayed with fresh coats of blood and limbs flying around all over the place. It... it was beautiful.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I finished establishing my first real basement which is now being used to store more equipment. the 2nd floor of the south residential zone has been finished and can accomodate 120 dwarves. all I have to do now is move furniture in and make the roof out of granite and my dwarves will now have their own rooms. In case you weren't keeping track, I am now into my 8th year.

In the spring during an Elf merchant and Diplomat visit, I had yet another siege. Now with another
marksdwarf to help the fight, I was able to kill all but two of the 60 gobs that besieged me. All because of a cat, two gobs escaped. Now with the Elves and gobs out of the way, I can continue the fortress.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:13:19 pm by Lost Requiem »
Quest Complete! 41/31

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2010, 06:31:08 pm »

Update! Finally, Visual Fortress is working for me again. Here's a longview of the whole fortress above water.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quest Complete! 41/31

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2010, 10:17:25 pm »

Beautiful. Sexy, even.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2010, 08:36:54 am »

Just out of curiosity, can you farm on the lake-top fort?

Because I tried a similar idea on the ocean, and "there are no seeds available for this location" starved my fort to death. Which was absolute BS, because the elves had actually brought useful stuff (sun berries, two bags of sun berry seeds, two bags of whip vine seeds, fisher berries (and seeds), and rope reed seeds, in addition to their usual junk, plus two no-quality wooden short swords and a no-quality spear)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6