Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Quest: Above-water Mega-Fortress  (Read 9290 times)

Dwarf titan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: CHALLENGE: Above-water Fortress
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 11:24:31 am »

This is a really great idea. Good luck!

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 11:58:29 am »

Thanks, everyone for your interest in this endeavor.

Update time! Unfortunately, there are so many blocks in my fortress (over 9000!!!!) I can't open up the map in Visual Fortress. I'm right now building the civilian district, which will be finished (the first floor, anyways) when winter rolls around. I'll be using mica blocks for the Noble Tower walls; the floors will still be made of marble. The civilian towers have microcline blocks for their walls. I don't know what the King's castle will be made of, but I'm either going to use the bottom most rock layer type, or I might go with clear glass, or maybe even a mixture of the two.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 12:36:08 pm »

You lucky :/

Lakes never freeze in my games, even in temperate areas even with turned on temperature. What am i doing wrong?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:39:32 pm by Lordinquisitor »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 01:04:40 pm »

You're not embarking in cold enough areas.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 01:26:45 pm »

You lucky :/

Lakes never freeze in my games, even in temperate areas even with turned on temperature. What am i doing wrong?

I didn't plan on the lake freezing. It only happened by chance, but it greatly helps in the development of the fortress. At the same time, I have to be careful that no one is on the water when it thaws in the late winter. The other downside to this region is the lack of animals. There are literally no animals here, aside from a few Carp that existed at the beginning. Of course, at the beginning of the first winter, the lake froze over and they all died. Go figure.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 02:49:24 pm »

So any ideas how i can see how cold a place exactly is?

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 03:24:14 pm »

So any ideas how i can see how cold a place exactly is?

Rule of thumb: To get guaranteed freezing, embark in cold areas.
Freezing areas result in freezing for sometimes all the year.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 04:20:49 pm »

Or embark in an area close to a freezing biome? I don't know. Again, I didn't expect the water to freeze.

The 3rd winter is about to pass. I've continued work on the first basement, erecting walls of ice to hold as temporary boundaries. Of course, I forgot the floors, so I'll still need to mine it out next year. At least I know where the floors are this time.

My residential zone is on pause because I ran out of microcline blocks halfway through the winter. I'll spend the next year making more of them so I can continue next winter.

The errors I made in pathways have been fixed, and now in the last week of The Freezing, all my dwarves are taking refuge in the outpost, drinking beer, building more blocks, and waiting for the ice to melt before it's safe to go out. granted, this is just to keep them off the ice so they don't fall through along with half my livestock. One dorf even found the balls to sleep ON THE ICE last year. Visual Fortress still doesn't want to work for me. This year, I'll be working on the completion of the walkway to the Northern Continent, and the beginning of the Noble Tower. I have a few ideas for what to make it out of *Magma is not an option!*. What do you all propose?

Here is what I have currently readily available. The floors will always be made of Marble, and it's the most abundant stone in the region.

Marble
Mica
Green Glass
Clear Glass
Wood
Ice
Ash
Potash
Pearlash
Charcoal
Soap

Ice will only be able to be harvested in the winter, and I'd need to stop all mining for rocks in order for the masons to work on making ice blocks *if that's even possible. If not, I'll have to be content with a rough Noble Tower, which would break my challenge of only using blocks.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:43:46 pm by Lost Requiem »
Quest Complete! 41/31

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 04:34:24 pm »

To keep them off the ice, put restricted traffic areas on the water tiles far enough back that they'll path around it at all times.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 07:54:55 pm »

You know what would be awesome, an underwater tunnel made of glass and steel that goes from your fort into the mainland, and then to the surface.

Bonus points if it's the only access your fort has to the surface.

Extra bonus points if they are floodable death chambers.

I can't decide if it is more awesome for the tunnel to be made of clear glass, or Ice.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 08:00:01 pm »

You know what would be awesome, an underwater tunnel made of glass and steel that goes from your fort into the mainland, and then to the surface.

Bonus points if it's the only access your fort has to the surface.

Extra bonus points if they are floodable death chambers.

I can't decide if it is more awesome for the tunnel to be made of clear glass, or Ice.

Definitely ice. sure, it'll blend in during the winter, but in the summer? Tell me walking through a pleasantly-warm lake in a chilled tunnel of translucent ice wouldn't be fantabulous.

Plus you can flood it with magma if you like!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 08:28:39 pm »

And *that* is why the lake needs to be replaced with magma at the end. Ice tunnel to the fortress through a lake of magma.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 08:42:10 pm »

But hay, guess what? Ice isn't Magma-safe, and I don't feel like modifying the file to make it so. Not to mention I still don't know if I have Magma in my fortress or not, and I need to work on the Noble Tower. It will be made of Pearlash.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:45:44 pm by Lost Requiem »
Quest Complete! 41/31

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 08:45:17 pm »

Ice constructions are magma safe. Just create ice blocks and build the tunnel as opposed to digging out the tunnel.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 08:48:28 pm »

Oh wait. I just looked it up.

Constructions are indestructable, even ice, even against magma.

That still doesn't resolve the 0 magma issue.

EDIT: Ok, the Nobles aren't being reasonable with their mandates and in my last fortress, the Hammerer made Draconian law look like Mr. Roger's timeout. so I'm going to (for the first time) stage an unfortunate accident to befall them. This one will take a while to do. I'm going to assign them a room made entirely out of ice.... except it's not a construction. Or maybe I can issue them a room with a thin walkway. Yes... that sounds nice...

The Noble Tower will still be built, but there will be no nobles for a while. a LONG while.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:36:48 pm by Lost Requiem »
Quest Complete! 41/31
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6