Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Quest: Above-water Mega-Fortress  (Read 9293 times)

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CHALLENGE: Above-water Fortress
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 10:01:54 pm »

Couldn't you change the boiling point of water, evaporate the lake (While your CPU weeps), and build your pylon/shafts, then change water back to normal (and make it unfreezable)?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 10:13:17 pm »

Why not change the melting point of water, dig out the whole fortress, and then set it back and skip the CPU weeping/refilling business?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 10:15:40 pm »

Sadly, you can't change the boiling point of water ;_;
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 10:20:44 pm »

Turn off temperature once the lake freezes? To my knowledge, it won't change back when you reboot the game up. Then it's just a matter of digging it out. And if you wanted, you could build the fort OUT of ice, and THEN either let it refill with water / fill it with magma.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 11:14:49 pm »

Why change the raws at all? This is a challenge, after all.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 12:30:42 pm »

That. REAL DORFS don't mess with the raws, unless the desired effect is completely unattainable otherwise. And perhaps not even then.

After all, the point of a challenge is to try something ludicrously impractical.

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 02:40:06 pm »

That. REAL DORFS don't mess with the raws, unless the desired effect is completely unattainable otherwise. And perhaps not even then.

After all, the point of a challenge is to try something ludicrously impractical.
Unless that ludicrously impractical thing is harvesting mermaid spawn for bone crafts. Then it's required to mod the raws.
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2010, 01:47:05 pm »

Unless that ludicrously impractical thing is harvesting mermaid spawn for bone crafts. Then it's required to mod the raws.

I was actually thinking of Morul when i put that second part in, but mermaid bone harvesting works too  ;D

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 02:27:55 pm »

Well, admittedly I also modified raws to make orcs tougher so that he would skill faster. I don't really see this as a gross violation, however. But other than that, I think it was only to get around the moghopper problem.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 03:24:49 pm »

what moghopper problem?

also, what about strand extraction?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 03:44:48 pm »

Oh, right, strand extraction as well.

The moghopper problem is that fish dissection skill only comes from making mog juice from moghoppers. Moghoppers only live in I think sinister areas, and there's virtually way you can get enough of them on a map (at least one that has all the other things needed to do this) to hit legendary doing that (milking doesn't suffer this problem because you don't need many maggots since you can milk them once a season). There were enough fire snakes and spiders to get animal dissection but I had to mod creatures like olms, and I think even spiders for a while, to produce mog juice.

Morul still did the full number of tasks to earn legendary, he just needed more natural resources to pull it off, and in the case of the fish dissection, all the vermin trapping that went along with it. In hindsight I probably should have made it so that obsidian produced adamantium and only gotten those stones via obsidian factory, or something that was additionally laborious, but I didn't think of it at the time.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 08:32:29 pm »

Morul still did the full number of tasks to earn legendary, he just needed more natural resources to pull it off,

Right, right. In a perfect map, there'd be enough resources to do all of these, but creating more to make the challenge feasible is hardly a grievous problem.

Sorry, didn't mean for that comment to balloon out of proportion like that.

Back to topic, howz the fortress goin?

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 02:39:29 pm »

I took a break from it for a while to refresh my brain, and now I'm back working on it. The first floor dimension is completed, now next winter, I'm going to start punching out holes where the walls will be. Floor 2 of the residential district has begun, and I'm still trying to think of a shape for the Noble Tower. Because I have massive abundances of blocks of many kinds, I'm going to start making miscellaneous towers around the lake once I'm done with the initial ones.

I am also thinking of a side project where I keep one dwarf in a room underwater for a year with enough food stores to last him that duration, then dig him out next winter.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2010, 03:47:53 pm »

I like that idea, but give the poor bugger something to do. Even just install a useless pump for him to bulk up on.

Or if you want to be entertained, give him no food but dump a pile of vermin in there.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2010, 06:43:29 pm »

I could make him a marksdorf and have him train on an archery target. Too bad they can't spar on a training dummy.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6