Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Obsidian Farming for Profit  (Read 8724 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Obsidian Farming for Profit
« on: January 02, 2010, 12:32:15 pm »

This is an idea I had today, and would like some community assistance to make it a reality. When you are pumping magma up for obsidian farming, you are drawing molten rock from deep in the earth and then cooling it. Why can't there be trace amounts of material in this rock?

If I create some reactions to 'process obsidian' into different types of obsidian chunks which can then be refined into bars of metal, it would let us mine magma for profit and give all those lazy peasants something to do.

Say I had a "Process Obsidian" reaction which turned 10 obsidian stones into obsidian 'chunks' which will be classified as gems (mostly so you can't build with them) and will have a very low value. I might have 5 types of chunks, which you get in various amounts from the processing.

Type 1 - Zinc/Tin/Nickel
Type 2 - Lead/Copper/Bismuth
Type 3 - Silver/Iron/Gold
Type 4 - Platinum/Aluminum
Type 5 - Adamantine

Just crushing 10 obsidian would give you 1 low value chunk, type 1. Running the processing twice would give you two type 1 and one type 2 chunk. Etc

This could be accomplished by giving them % completions in the reaction.

The Type 4 and 5 chunks would be rare, so you'd only get one after 8-10 runs of processing obsidian stones.

These 'chunks' would then feed another reaction, which would turn a certain number of them into bars of metal. Say 3 type 1 chunks would net you 2 tin bars, 1 nickel bar, and 1 zinc bar.

Obviously amounts could be adjusted up or down as needed for balance.

This would make obsidian farming profitable, as you are pumping magma out from the earth, cooling it, mining it out, then processing it for trace amounts of material.

Can someone help me with the reaction formatting? I am working on it now.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Obsidian Farming for Profit
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 12:36:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does that look right? Assuming I made the OBSIDIAN1-OBSIDIAN5 gem types.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 01:35:44 pm by forsaken1111 »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:39:39 pm »

The reaction is correct, yes.

Diarrhea Ferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 12:46:10 pm »

This sounds like a great idea although I would remove adamantine as one of the chunk types...I just think it would be to overpowered...also I think you would need someway to distinguish  between obsidian from magma and from regular obsidian (as a layer) or someone who started on an obsidian layer map would have to much of an economy jumpstart...
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.
YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 12:49:25 pm »

Perhaps you should also create a chance to have it yield nothing.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 12:50:53 pm »

This sounds like a great idea although I would remove adamantine as one of the chunk types...I just think it would be to overpowered...also I think you would need someway to distinguish  between obsidian from magma and from regular obsidian (as a layer) or someone who started on an obsidian layer map would have to much of an economy jumpstart...

Well there is no way to distinguish that in the current version of DF, as far as I know.

For the Adamantine, remember that is per 10 stones so you'd get 1 adamantine wafer per 1000 obsidian stones processed by my current model. That means one suit of adamantine platemail would take you 9000 obsidian stones to make. Not exactly overpowered in my opinion. I will consider it though.

Right now I'm thinking of doing separate gem "chunks" for each metal type, and they would be for example "Copper-laced obsidian chunk" and 3 of them would get you a copper bar. I can alter the frequency you get them based on the metal value and usefulness.

Perhaps you should also create a chance to have it yield nothing.

Do you know a way of doing this? As far as I know all reactions are a countdown. If you put in a 1 then it is certain that in 100 runs you will get one item. If you put in 50 you will get one in 2 runs of the reaction.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 12:55:50 pm »

What do you think of this? The % are semi-random weighted by the value of the metal. This also makes it so that it takes 2000 stones to get a single wafer of adamantium.

Making them gem types has the benefit of letting them be stored in bins and be cut and used for cheap decoration if you don't want to smelt them (say for bismuth, for example).

Names would be like "Zinc-laced Obsidian Chunk" unless someone can come up with better format for that.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 01:36:02 pm by forsaken1111 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 12:59:48 pm »

First draft of the reaction:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 01:36:16 pm by forsaken1111 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 01:01:27 pm »

It occured to me that I could add in a chance to find chunks of raw glass as well. Is there a way to make 'green glass' into 'black glass' or 'obsidian glass'? If I added in a base 10% chance to find a usable chunk of obsidian glass, that would allow sand-poor forts a way to get glass for building. Obviously it wouldn't let you make the glass into items, that would require separate reactions.

Just a thought.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 01:08:44 pm »

I could do it the other way too. have every run drop a few "Metal-laced obsidian chunk" generic gems and have those become random metals when smelted. Would save you from having "Copper-laced, Zinc-laced, etc"
and I'd only need 1 new gem type...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 01:21:53 pm »

So I'm thinking that would be better. Have a value 2 gem called "Metal-laced Obsidian". You get 2 of them per 10 obsidian stones. Then have a reaction which smelts the gems for metals. To preserve its rarity, I will keep adamantine as a separate gem type and require 5 laced chunks to make a single wafer. This means a single wafer would take 5000 obsidian stones.

Does all that look right?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 01:40:43 pm by forsaken1111 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 01:33:05 pm »

I could introduce SOME randomness by giving the initial reaction a chance at dropping more than one laced chunk.

Would that work?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 01:36:51 pm by forsaken1111 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 01:37:12 pm »

Cleaned up the thread and popped long reactions into spoiler tabs for easier reading.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 02:28:40 pm »

I could introduce SOME randomness by giving the initial reaction a chance at dropping more than one laced chunk.

Would that work?
Reactions don't work that way. The way you have it set in that spoiler, you'd get 154% of a laced obsidian chunk every time you run the reaction. So, run it once, you get 1, twice 3 total (154+154=308), and every 50 you do you'd have gained 77 (154x50=7700) laced obsidian chunks.

That is, the first number in the product lines is not a chance to get the item, as you appear to think, but rather the percentage of an item that is produced. Every time you have 100% of a given item in a smelter, it actually produces one; this is stored per smelter, not universally.

Now, what you could do is make obsidian an ore of various metals; ores actually are a %chance of getting the material, so tetrahedrite for example, which is a 20% silver ore, doesn't give you 20% of a silver per reaction, but actually gives you one silver 20% of the time, so you have a chance of getting a silver the first time you smelt tetrahedrite. Now, this would mean that you'd have at least a 1% chance of getting any metal you made obsidian an ore of, so I'd suggest limiting the metals present to relatively common ones (especially not adamantine); for instance, add the following to obsidian's matgloss_stone_layer entry:

This would make it so that every obsidian stone you smelted would have a chance of giving a tin, a bismuth, a copper, a zinc, a lead, a nickel, a silver, an iron, and a gold, all at once (though very improbable).

Hmm... Actually, you might try a similar method, but with some modifications. First, make a number of "Metal-rich Obsidian" metals, make normal obsidian an ore of these metals, and then make smelter reactions to turn a number of them into a new stone that is an ore of the common (and uncommon) metals. What I mean is:

Change obsidian's entry in matgloss_stone_layer to:

Add the following to matgloss_metal:

Add the following to matgloss_stone_mineral:

And the following to reaction_standard:
[/spoiler]

Now, to explain what is going on in this whole thing. First, you have normal obsidian that is an ore of metals that otherwise appear nowhere. These metals are not in it very often, but they're in all obsidian. Once you have one of these metals, which are otherwise useless, you can process them at a smelter to a new stone that is an ore of other, more standard metals.

What this means is that you essentially have a .25% (not 25, but .25; 1/4 of 1%) chance of getting a zinc bar for every obsidian stone, the same for tin and nickel, a .16% chance for lead, copper, and bismuth, .09% for silver, gold, and iron, .04% for aluminum and platinum, and a .01% chance for an adamantine wafer. So, for every 10,000 obsidian processed in this way (which, unfortunately, does take 3 smelter reactions for each stone), you're likely to get 25 zinc, tin, and nickel, 16 lead, copper, and bismuth, 9 silver, gold and iron, 4 aluminum and platinum, and 1 adamantine.

The advantage of this method is that, unlike the methods you had outlined before I started typing (which, admittedly, was a while ago), it is truly random. You can of course play with the chances by altering the numbers; were I to make this mod, I'd probably make multiply the 5 ORE_OBSIDIAN stones' ore chances by 10 so it would "only" be a 1/1000 chance of getting an adamantine wafer per obsidian stone instead of 1/10000, but your mileage may vary  ::)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 02:37:50 pm by NecroRebel »
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 02:34:49 pm »

You might want to change the names for smelting regular and Adamantine chunks,  right now they'll both display the same.

Raw glass is a gem, and can only be cut.  You can't build anything with it, although creating raw green glass counts for mandates about green glass items.

AFAIK, the first number in the reaction is a %, depending on the whims of the RNG you might get Adamantine chunks more or less often.  I had a fort where smelting tetrahedrite produced silver about twice as often as it was suppossed to for a full season.  So I don't know as much as I thought I did :-\  Also, ninja'd.

Otherwise, it all looks like it will work.  Good job.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4