Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25

Author Topic: The Castle Mightygrips: Cancelled. [community]  (Read 48053 times)

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
  • Reproduces through Mitosis
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle Mightygrips: A medieval hell. [community]
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2010, 02:00:19 am »

he wont be the strongest once the warrior priest comes! my picture is what ill basically look like as all warrior priests do book and hammer the book is called the book of grudges which holds every known grudge in dwarven history. and theyre all described with one dwarven rune each soooo yeah ;D
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2010, 04:06:20 am »

---

20th Sandstone, 12~

It was a bloody autumn.

The day begun with my office door being kicked in. Rykue shouldered his way in and tossed the spare chair out of the way, breathing heavily. I’d asked Julius to build me a new door the had an internal lock, but he’s asked me what for and I hadn’t been able to think of an answer. If only he could see Rykue’s face now.

The woodsman’s muscular throat looked as if it was about to burst a vessel. His axe was held in both hands across his chest, gripped tightly enough to leave a light impression in the wood. I must’ve looked rather frightened, because instead of saying “Hello,” I said “aaa?”

He stood there momentarily, bathing in his consciously intimidating aura. “Mister Quinn,” he said surprisingly gently, “I’ve just had a delightful conversation with our friend Mister Bodark.”

I sat there nervously, wishing my office was longer rather than wider so that I had somewhere to retreat backwards to. As it was, I was already shrunken in my chair. “And… what did… Mister Bodark have to say?” I asked quietly.

“He was telling me about our plans for expansion. I hear we have a little imp problem.”

I was starting to see where this was going. “Well, you know, it’s not so much a problem as a temporary delay, but I appreciate your concern and—”

The axehead slammed into my desk. Deep. “Listen, you sober bastard of a dwarf. You know as well as I do that the imps need to be taken out. You know as well as I do that I’m capable enough to do it. You know as well as I do that I haven’t been able to kill a single gods damned creature in two years here. You know as well as I do that I am about to kill something whether it is a bloody imp or not.”

My eyes were fixated on the axe, quivering gently. Half the metal head was buried beneath my papers. The desk was made of solid stone. “Well, uh… Now that you mention it, I was going to ask…”

“Yes?”

“I thought maybe if you wouldn’t mind…”

“Yes?”

“…taking care of our little imp problem?”

He grinned. “That sounds like an excellent idea.” He snatched the axe out of the desk with one hand effortlessly. “I think we’re going to get along just swell.”

The logger lumbered out, leaving my office in a state of chaos. The table looked about to snap in half simply supporting its own weight. The chair hurled against the wall was missing a leg. The door had broken a hinge. After a few minutes, I let out a long, slow breath. I’d no idea how I survived that encounter, but I felt as if the gods had handed me a beer. My mood shifted from terror to a kind of calm confidence. I exited my office and entered the communal bedrooms. Sam was there, sipping a beer while on her break. She didn’t look up as I entered.

“Hey,” I said. “Let’s up head on the roof.”

She turned her head slightly, her eyes just wide enough to betray some surprise and some curiosity. I led her up the stairs to the current roof, where we’d yet to continue construction. Most of the jungle plains were visible below us. I pointed, and said nothing. She looked.

Off in the distance, a yellow blur was visible moving between the glumprong trees, the same colour as Rykue’s yellow woodsman’s jacket. Slightly farther ahead was the flicker of a small flame. As we watched, the yellow blur reached the flicker. There was a burst of red mist, and some small shapes rose in the air slightly.

We were silent, admiring such craftsdwarfship. The blur continued to the side, barely taking time to stop. There was another flame-like flicker ahead of it. The flicker briefly began to move away from the blur, but it was too late. There was a second explosion of gore, and a small flaming head was launched across the jungle landscape.

I turned to Sam, smiling. Her eyebrows were slightly raised. “Sometimes you just have to enjoy what’s around you, you know?” I said. She smiled ever-so-quickly, and then it was gone. “Break’s over,” she said, turning and heading back downstairs. I watched her go, feeling as though I had perhaps made a little progress.

After she had disappeared down the steps, I turned back to the jungle, expecting to see Rykue triumphantly returning.

The yellow blur was nowhere to be seen.

I squinted and looked around a bit more, finally seeing it through some thick foliage near the mountain’s base. Or rather, near the mountain goat pack.

Rykue must have been running on some sort of bloodlust, and worried though I was that he’d get hurt, I was pretty glad that he was taking out some of his internal rage on not-me.

He met the four zombie mountain goats just as he reached the mountains. Chunks and bones arced poetically through the sky. It was beautiful.

Rykue returned about an hour later, hoisting half a fire imp over his shoulder, axe in the other hand by his waist. “Quinn,” he said, smiling hugely, “I love this hellhole.”

I couldn’t help but smile back. His radiant happiness was infectious. He headed off towards the stables to gather the rest of the pack to help bring in the loot.

---

Five months! Five months that Quinn and Sam have spent doing absolutely nothing but talk to each other, and she barely even knows him. Argh.

In that second screenie, Dermonster’s visible with Rykue. I’d originally sent them to wipe out one imp each, but Rykue made it to both before Dermonster showed up. Both were one hit kills: Rykue connected with the imp, it flew into a tree, and then the corpse and a number of body parts went flying in various directions. Oh, and Rykue also took a detour to horrifically bisect a deer, shearing its upper and lower body in different directions.

Man, that was a fun update to write. There’s still one imp in the pipe that refuses to come out, though; I don’t want to attack it because I’d much rather catch it, but despite chaining a dog to the other side of the cage traps, it hasn’t taken the bait. Grr. I will have thee, McImp.

Got a bit more of autumn left; technically it's over but I have to cover the trading and Thob's visit first.

Hah, I enjoy your writing. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, nice updates by the way, they're a good read.

Thank you both! I'm challenging myself to not half-ass any updates (although I give this morning's a mulligan taking into account the night before), which is... well, challenging, but I think it'll help me improve in the long run.

Grath, you're heading on the dorfing list as 'military.' You know why.

-ed: Whoa, six pages? This story isn't even a week old. Jeez.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 02:54:23 pm by Retro »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2010, 04:49:01 am »

they were ferocius dwarf eating racoons though!

ah well, twas good while it lasted.

and im not dead yet! always a pleasant suprise.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2010, 04:53:25 am »

Well that was a fun read. :) Should be interesting once the goblins start showing up.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
  • Reproduces through Mitosis
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2010, 07:42:46 am »

i have found somthing of interest the year of the imperial calender ( I.C. for short) 2040 an entire mountain home was destroyed by the elves flipping the self destruct switch when trying to figure how levers work that grudge will never be forgotten! *writes it down in the book of grudges and uses a an angry face for the symbol*
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2010, 05:58:09 pm »

Forgot to give you my preferred personality traits:

(Feel no need to pay attention to these unless you want to.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Personality
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2010, 09:31:13 pm »

Well, my internet was down all day, but I wrote out updates anyhow! So there's a whole bunch of stuff coming up, though I'll break in between them since I got the material to stretch it out. Sorry, forgot to take screenies this update. Was busy with Rykue’s Roaring Rampage of Rage.

---

28th Sandstone, 12~

Kadol and Thob were back, and I was rather unimpressed.

“So,” I said. “If I recall correctly, we requested you bring iron bars.”

Kadol looked at the ground. Thob seemed to not be paying much attention.

“In fact, I believe we requested absolutely nothing but iron bars.”

Kadol scratched the back of his neck. “Well…”

“You brought four.”

It was true. Despite the previous year’s negotiations, we’d gotten pratically no iron bars. Jyrvus stood off to the side, watching the proceedings. I’d like to believe he was anxious to get back to smithing, but he didn’t seem the type to get anxious about anything, really.

Kadol shrugged a bit. “You guys gave us cat food last year, all right? It’s hardly our fault if we didn’t take you seriously.”

“It’s your job to take us seriously. You’re bloody merchants!”

Kadol glanced at Thob for a second, then returned his gaze to the ground. I turned to Thob. The legendary traveller didn’t seem very impressive now. Perhaps it was because of how small he was trying to make himself.

“Thob. You… did mention how bad we needed iron, right?”

He grunted. “Might’ve said something to that effect.”

I sighed, pressing one palm deep ito my forehead. “All right, you know what, just… forget. We’ll take the iron.”

Kadol sneered. “With what payment, more cat food?”

Irwin appeared from nowhere, hissing at the merchant. His hands were fully of the crafts I’d had him work on the past few months. Of note were the fire imp bone crafts, which were rather expensive.

“We’ll take those two steel shields as well. Might as well have something to defend ourselves with.”

Kadol eyed the imp goods greedily. “And… what of the rest?”

“Keep it,” I said. “Consider it a bonus for taking us seriously next year.”

Thob shrugged his shoulders. “Ah, sod it. This is stupid. I’m getting a beer.”

The visitors went inside. I asked Gutendorf to get the really low quality sewer brew for them. She rolled her eyes at me and walked off silently mouthing something sarcastic.

“Well?” I asked Jyrvus. “Think you’re up to forging me some chainmail.”

The dwarf’s face lit up. It was the first time I’d seen any sort of strong emotion from him in the two years I’d known him. “Well, ah… I might be a little out of practice, y’know, but… I guess…” A tiny tear welled up in one eye. “Bless ye, boss.” He ran off with the iron.

It was a good feeling, despite the disappointment with the season’s trading. I hoisted up one of the shields and swung it around, grabbing one of our obsidian swords as well. Yeah. Yeah. Maybe I could…

My daydreaming was interrupted by Bodark’s deep laugh across the yard. “Good on ye, kid. One day ye’ll be a real warrior!” He walked off, still laughing. “Oy, Rykue! Didja see what the kid was up to?”

Great. As if they needed another excuse to tease me.

---

Side news: Julius is officially a mason (formerly blacksmith), Bodark is officially an architect (formerly mechanic), and Rykue’s nearly a legendary woodcutter. I gave the traders some awesome profit, so hopefully we’ll get some migrants. Wealth production is our main goal until we have migrants for a military. And stables are seriously improved: All butchery/tanning/leatherworking is done there as well as cage/animal storage, breeding chambers, and the kennels. Could always build it higher for the hell of it, too.

I have no idea where the orcs are. Hope they show up soon; I think with some basic training some of my dorfs are strong enough to take down a single squad, and then I’ll have smeltable metals.

Forgot to give you my preferred personality traits:
<every trait, ever>

Jesus, man. I'll do what I can. I don't think I've seen a dwarf that radical about everything before, but I'll gab the gist of it.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2010, 09:38:39 pm »

Those stables look pretty friggin nice. Hopefully you can get some good stuff from the elves to fill it with good animals.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2010, 10:36:22 pm »

Quite nice. Maybe workout a bone storage and craftsdwarf level. One for shells, one for bones, one for skulls, :D

I'm silly about spliting stuff up like that, huge stockpiles for a single thing, with workshops that use it nearby.

However, one project I would suggest more seriously would be to replace the wooden foundation, before the weight of the stone crushes things... Just be careful replacing so the things getting crushed arn't dwarves.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2010, 10:39:47 pm »

Oh, I'm sure the orcs will show up soon. Quite soon.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2010, 10:41:06 pm »

Speaking of orcs, whats the forts total value so far? Usually the orcs come at about 20,000 (dig deeper orcs at least).
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2010, 10:51:13 pm »

---

11th Moonstone, 12~

Armok help us all. The day I’ve worried about these last two years is finally upon us.

When I volunteered to lead this expedition, there was one thing that slipped my mind: its purpose. Yes, we were here to build a castle, but that was more consequential. We were here to build a stronghold to fend off the orcs.

We are not a stronghold. We are Mightygrips. ‘Fending’ is well beyond our capabilities.

They came from the west, from the mountains. Irwin spotted them first, though it took a while for anyone to realize what he was talking about. The stablehand has become more and more feral. He sleeps on the dirt beside his bed, in a pile with the dogs. Nobody questions this anymore.

My first reaction was to order Rykue and Dermonster to start training their axedwarfship. Rykue was satisfied. Dermonster just giggled a bit, and then ‘accidentally’ dropped her axe. Between two of my toes.

“Whoops!” she said, wandering off to grab Jyrvus’ new chainmail. Disconcerting. No one else believes me when I wonder about the dark inside of her.

We decided to wait and see how the orcs would approach, and then draft up an emergency battle plan then. Bodark assures us everything will be fine.

---

15th Opal, 12~

It’s been a month, and the orcs have yet to move. Perhaps they don’t believe that our little outpost is the castle they heard was here. We sent Irwin up to spy on them; he’s actually quite a good little hunter.

After a few hours of charades we managed to figure out his report: Some had axes, others were weaponless. There weren’t all that many of them, but they appeared strong. And they had some sort of giant spider with them. Joy.

Rykue and Dermonster continue to train. They’re quite handy with their axes now… which pleases me only a little more than it worries me.

Our panicked fervor when we first took note of the invaders has lightened up considerably. The nasty creratures don’t seem to want to bother with us.

---

24th Obsidian, 12~

This is getting a bit absurd. It’s been nearly three months, and the orcs haven’t yet moved. What are they waiting for? I’ve no idea.

For the most part, life has returned to normal. I had the loggers stop their sparring to resume their woodcutting duties. As far as I can tell, the orcs will never come down to attack us. Unfortunately, we might miss next spring’s elf caravan, but on the plus side, we’ll miss the elves. Or rather, we won’t miss them. Ha ha ha!

Yeah. I’ll just cut out the jokes, maybe.

---

This siege is silly :|

Remember when I said “the dorfs are strong enough to take out a single squad with a bit of training”? I sent out a backup copy’s Rykue and Dermonster to see how they fared against the orcs. They killed one, and the war dogs killed two more. Guts everywhere. I’m hoping they’ll just leave.

Speaking of orcs, whats the forts total value so far? Usually the orcs come at about 20,000 (dig deeper orcs at least).

Can't give you an up-to-date shot of the z-screen since today's lack of internet has put me a ways ahead of the updates, but we're at a bit over 40k wealth.

However, one project I would suggest more seriously would be to replace the wooden foundation, before the weight of the stone crushes things... Just be careful replacing so the things getting crushed arn't dwarves.

When I get that damned imp caged and start the new perimeter, I'll probably relocate the stables entirely. I'll leave it for now, but I'll make sure to make the next stables look more consistent.

I've got one more update left in me for later tonight.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2010, 11:48:59 pm »

i am most pleased with this fort.
 even though i got one upped  by the fire imp killing, i still appear to  scare the shit out of the expidition leader.

Ahh... the life of not being dead yet.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2010, 12:34:15 am »

No mods at all, right?
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2010, 01:27:33 am »

We've got Rysith's orc mod, the cat mouth fix, and at one point I used to have fire imps breed, but I took that out a few months back. Dunno what's causing the weird behaviour. I didn't even open the orc files.

Ah, well. Big important update time! And including the one in the wee hours of this morning, this is like the 4th in 24 hours. Oh man.

---

12th Granite, 13~

We first noticed the orcs were gone after the elves appeared. We had been going about our business as usual when the lithe bastards whisked over the bridge and into the depot. Nobody knew when the orcs had left, nor why they had just dawdled around atop the mountain. Rykue says we’re too intimidating. Bodark says not to worry about things like that and to have another beer.

“Boss! Come quick, it’s some kinda war declaration or something!”

This was puzzling. I rushed over to the depot to see Julius waiting for me, his nerves shot. “Lookit!” he called again. “That one’s weaing some kinda skull! I thought elves were supposed to be peaceful!”

I looked, and had to restrain a laugh. The elf that I had given the skull ‘hat’ to the year before had returned, still wearing it. Apparently they had bought my story that it was a token of respect. Much as I hated the twigs, they were lots of fun to toy around with.

“My friends!” I laughed, holding out both arms. I’d been watching how Bodark greeted everyone he ran into, and I was extremely suspicious that the arms-out-bold-hello was the key to his charisma. It seemed to work. The elves appeared to smile, somewhat surprised to be greeted fondly.

“Quinn, we have high aspirations for this year’s trading! Our leaders awed your gift of ‘hat.’ Perhaps we may discuss obtaining more!” The one with the skull hat was talking. I’d no idea what his name was. I don’t think I had asked the year before.

“We’ll see, eh? How about some trading? Irwin, get the goods!”

My high hopes were instantly shattered. The elves had brought nothing valuable. We had hoped for some animals, but it was all berries and cloth items. We bought three bags for seed storage, then just gave them the rest. I didn’t give them any skulls, though – that ought to disappoint the bastards. Maybe next time, Irwin. Next time.

A call went out from the bridge. “Look! From the hills!”

I was amazed. Honestly, I’d expected maybe one or two people to show up, like the year before. This was nothing like that. There was a flood of dwarves pouring over the crest of the mountain. And… what else? Those weren’t pets with them…

“Rykue! Dermonster!” I shouted. “Get your axes and get up there! The damned goats are attacking the migrants!”

In the end only one migrant had been hurt, and everything but the spinal damage was permanent. He’d be okay.

As for the other 20 migrants… It was time to build some beds.

---

No lie – we had a wave of 21 migrants. This means that everyone on the to-be-dorfed list is now a member of the fort… and we still have 12 unnamed dwarves left for those who want one! However, with 15 girls and 6 guys arriving, most of you have been dorfed as girls. Full statistics, by order of arrival, gender, first name (only if dorfed), last name, and original profession:

01 M Pagedbent, mason
02 F Randette Castlesoak, lye maker
03 F Shellssalve, peasant
04 F Constructanvils, armorer (a smith named ‘constructanvils’? win!)
05 F Laborcarnal, potash maker
06 M Grath Stancekeys, soap maker
07 F Doom Sunkpulleys, peasant
08 M Angron Whiptorch, dyer
09 F Orbstown, brewer
10 F Weakenarrow, jeweler
11 F Narglard Arrowscraped, peasant
12 F Tombsstaves, cheese maker
13 F Ubik Waybust, peasant
14 M Pasakoye Goalguilds, butcher
15 F Spartan Gearcovens, peasant
16 M Sulvor Blockadedales, gem setter
17 F Boltspirals, miller
18 F Steelheal, carpenter w/ mule pet and cat pet (both female), arrrggghhh.
19 M Oarwrings, thresher: spinal damage!
20 F Stroketongs, peasant
21 F Ticklanced, mason

If any new people would like to request a dwarf, the two masons and armorer won’t be changing professions, but the others can be whatever you want.

Here’s the personality files for the new guys. I think I did a good enough job matching all your requested personalities. I had a lot of dwarves to choose from, to say the least.

As for the orcs… I have no idea. Literally, in my ‘what’s been happening’ notes, I have this:

Code: [Select]
- elves have arrived, 12th sandstone. during siege? weird
- wait wtf where is my siege
- whaaaaat what just happened

And finally, current kill counts:

ATTN: Randall, DwarfOfDefeat, Erling, and Spartan 117 – your dwarves are girls rather than guys. Let me know if you want a name change… trying to make the masculine names sound feminine on my own just gets silly results (see: ‘Randette’).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:22:46 am by Retro »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25