Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Lutefisk!  (Read 4489 times)

FrostGiantsDaughter

Re: Lutefisk!
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2009, 08:53:42 pm »

I'd like an order of catfisk please. Lye+cat= catfisk.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 12:06:56 am »

Wouldn't that be lutecat?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2009, 12:08:06 am »

A smokehouse or similar would be nice to see, at some point; but it would require some support for nonspoiling or slow-spoiling food. It might be a suitable place for other methods of curing; you can smoke something(which takes wood, and yields "X-smoked Y" where X is the wood and Y is the base food), or you can pickle it, or you can steep it in lye, and so forth.

I actually worked up some raws for salted/smoked/dried fish, over in the List thread:

Fish cleaning also implies some kind of preservative process, such as drying, smoking or salting.  It would be cool if that was a separate process that required resources like heat or salt... that could be handled by a reaction, I think, if each fish had extra materials for the various preserved states.

Like this:
Spoiler: "raw" fish, teehee (click to show/hide)

So after adding the above stuff (including adding the new body detail plan to all preservable fish), you just need to add the custom workshop.  I think.  Oh, and I guess that custom fishery would need a FISH_CLEANING reaction too, so it could replace the useful functions of the current fishery.

Also, if you wanted finer control over which fish can be preserved in various ways, you could move the reaction class specifications from the FISH_CLEANED template to a SELECT_MATERIAL block inside the individual fishies.  Assuming that a SELECT_MATERIAL tag exists, which it really should.

Just realized that it would still just say "cod" instead of "salted cod."  If that goes by the material name, it would be easy to give the preserved fish materials custom names in the individual fishies, but if it goes by the creature name, that'd be hard to work around.  Hmm.

FrostGiantsDaughter

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2009, 12:12:56 am »

Wouldn't that be lutecat?

Catfisk SOUNDS better. But Lutecat is more correct. So, yeah. Whatever.
Pages: 1 2 [3]