Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Update anticipation: Imagine your first fortress.  (Read 2959 times)

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Update anticipation: Imagine your first fortress.
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 12:43:42 am »

What i'm happy about is being able to designate Z levels because i've always hated all the empty sky! Turn the under ground features on overdrive then embark with a mere 5 Z levels of sky and hope i breach a massive underworld to build my new diamond stalagmite fortresses! Imagine 20 Z levels of underground content with multiple tunnels leading to off map areas filled with new and horrible creatures to pit my fortress against.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 04:50:26 am »

Start aboveground fortress in my favorite location (peninsula close to river embouchure with as dangerous wildlife as possible to make sure ballista battery will be put to good use.).

Maybe start fortress inside suitably sized cavern in underground. Hopes are for multilevel caverns.

The Eviscerator of Gods

• Bay Watcher
  • Britannia's finest* paladin**
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 07:10:56 am »

Phalluses (Phalli?) everywhere.

Wang shaped rooms, big dong-towers constructed from sandstone, massive pecker-shaped tombs for my dwarves, all spurting liquids if possible.
Tom Cruise never had sex w/ his wife that baby's an alien from Xenu.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 09:11:28 am »

1. Research any changes to mechanics and hydraulics.
2. Research any changes and extensions of the raws.
3. Build a generic fortress and explore all other features. Or just read the wiki because by that time most information will already be there.
4. Build some mega-project that would be impossible in the old version. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 09:12:56 am »

Start aboveground fortress in my favorite location (peninsula close to river embouchure with as dangerous wildlife as possible to make sure ballista battery will be put to good use.).

Maybe start fortress inside suitably sized cavern in underground. Hopes are for multilevel caverns.

Won't you have to gen all new maps? As far as I know none of the old ones will work right,
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 09:38:02 am »

Won't you have to gen all new maps? As far as I know none of the old ones will work right,

I meant to find new site like that, not import old world. Just takes few world gens and manually checking each river embouchure if there is also peninsula nearby. Not hard :)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 09:49:32 am »

You do realize what this new game will mean? It means we are going to have to find a New "Dwarf Heaven"

The hunt will be on to the first person who can rediscover the Dwarven Paradise!!!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 09:59:01 am »

I dont plan on planning, im just gonna let the game suprise me. And FUN suprises there shall be a plenty!

Thats what I initialy loved most about DF, the moments where I found some awesome features that I hadnt ever though a computer game would have.

Like rotten pixie corpses wallowing miasma, using the bones of your enemy to shoot more enemies, the fluid system, etc, too  many to list.

After that ill just do whatever comes to mind using the new system. I rarely had any problem with that, and with all the new systems that take out the most annoyances I have with the current version.

(retarded soldiers, problems with keeping dwarves inside the fortress. Like my last fort. Goblins ambush, half my soldiers is easting/drinking/w/e. A quarter gets killed by bow gobbos. The other quater I order to retreat into the fortress, but they retreat along a pointless detour through death. I order my civilians dwarves to stay inside, and they all storm OUTside. Proly due to the meeting area being outside. The game just lost itself.)
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 07:56:18 pm »

I think I'll start by making some Dwees, then trying to make a massive obsidian honeycomb, half above and half below the ground. Whee!
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 09:21:08 pm »

If the cliff stuff is better in the next release (ie. steeper cliffs), I may try to find myself a good sheer cliff in a desert biome and create a cliff dwelling style fort.

Since that is likely to be hard to find, even with the fact that you will likely have an underground source of water, maybe.... I could break with the mountaneous tradition and go strike it out on the plains. The 15-z level thing is going to be lifted, so a plains fort has the potential to be as rich in ores as a big mountain embark, plus the metaphor 'Sky's the limit!' will actually be true because we could build a 150 z-level tower on a flat plains area.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2009, 09:23:01 pm »

Cliffs arn't YET improved as far as the game is concerned.

The reason why Cliffs were removed/smoothed for the most part is because there arn't many ways to climb up or down them especially in Adventurer mode.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2009, 09:24:36 pm »

But mostly they screw with road generation between sites during world gen.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 09:25:31 pm »

But mostly they screw with road generation between sites during world gen.

Michael Bay says otherwise!

Though, he argues against my point as well... Hmmm I didn't think this through.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2009, 09:27:09 pm »

I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 09:28:56 pm »

I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Obviously you jump, using a wagon, from one cliff to the other (or to the ground) in epic hollywood movie style!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4