Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Update anticipation: Imagine your first fortress.  (Read 2950 times)

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
Re: Update anticipation: Imagine your first fortress.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 05:32:44 pm »

Embark with 7 miners with combat skills and supplies to last years, then EXPLORATORY MINING!
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 06:01:13 pm »

I'm gonna hit the new caves. Learn the new things slowly and through horrible mistakes probably costing lives of many dwarves.

A stairway leading into the entrance cavern, and from there on, more stairs for entrance to deeper into the place. Smooth it all out eventually, maybe make an artificial river at the bottom to run through the area, if I can't find a running watersource doing the same thing already.

Trade depot up above, maybe a tower from stone that you have to run up and down stairs to get to the depot or back to the fort. Same for invaders. Military areas near the tower for easy alerts and pickings. Perhaps I'll make the lowest level of the tower open with fortifications, for crossbowers or bowmen, whichever I decide to use again.

Whatever there is going to be in the caverns, I'll explore them slowly. Claim the first level for the 7 starters, then when migrants arrive, make more rooms deeper down. It's possible that I discover some horror way before it's safe, but that's only part of the fun. I have very little idea what's going to be down there, but there's only one way to find out.

Oh god it'll be just like the first weeks I played this game. I am so excited, emotion can almost be seen from my face.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 06:11:59 pm »

I imagine I'll start up a basic fort and explore the new features for a bit.

And then I'll promptly start work on Civilization Forge 2.0 and have no free time for anything else for the next few months.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 06:18:10 pm »

It'll be my second real fort (I might make minor ones in-between where my goal is killing everyone or being a cheater mccheaterpants), modeled after my first (which is still running but may die soon given that 35% of the fort is miserable, insane, or chronically tantruming). I'm gonna try to aim for some features better than a brook this time, like sand, magma, or even HFS (new or old).

I'll definitely be better at building basics like shelter, although burrows might throw me off depending on how that goes. I might actually even be able to stop using above-ground stockpiles like I've been using the whole five or six years my current fort's been running! I might try my hand at stupid projects if I get a river or magma+bauxite.

I'm really looking forward to combat reports. I like sending my dwarves in for bloody fights (thus why my current fort is filled with the screams and howls of the insane), and if anything, I'll just redouble my efforts to kill the world just so I can read about the body parts flying.

I expect the second fort to be less of a success than the first one, to to explode into a fireball in half the time it's taking this one to implode on itself. And it will be good.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 06:21:44 pm »

A fortess that lies within the deeps of hell, it even has a large curtain so that only an unlucky few get raped on the way down, or up, but that only covers from the outside, not the walkways onto it, of from inside the stair spiral.

And I'll breed Underdark Dragoons, all I need are dwarves, some sort of mountable steeds, a steady supply of sustenance, and raw material to process.

Anyways, all I need is what will they carry for close range melee...

Current roster is:
  • Maces
  • Swords
  • Axes
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:36:02 pm by Foa »

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 07:52:01 pm »

I'll probably dive right into figuring out what can be done with the new raws. There's so much new stuff going in, it'll probably be pretty overwhelming.

This. Likely starting out with special playable satyrs (with castes =D) replacing dwarves. And maybe dwarves replacing regular satyrs in the wild.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 08:33:48 pm »

I'm going to start messing around with military stuff as soon as possible. I've never really done anything with military dwarves because they take too much micro-managing, but now that the new squad stuff is in, it should be fun.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 08:51:46 pm »

I'm gonna wait for other people to figure out the new raws before I try upgrading the mods I've released.

I'm going to dive into the new features with vanilla DF.  Gonna take advantage of every new addition I know about, and use those to help in exploring those I don't.  And maybe start a succession game on top of a cave with some nasty megabeast in it, with the goal of only making modifications to the cave that mimic the game's processes for cave formation.  Until the bottom level is reached, below which the participants could go all-out with digging projects.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 09:10:03 pm »

I probably won't play much of fortress mode for a while; after I try out the new underground with adventurers for a while, I'm going to get to work on a total conversion mod I've been planning for a while.

I don't want to spoil the surprise as to what the theme of the mod is yet, but I may have inadvertantly dropped a couple hints here and there.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 09:34:28 pm »

I'll dive straight into converting all my custom creatures.  So my first fort will probably end quickly as the backwards monstrosities with a brainfro(brain on outside of skull) slowly die horrible deaths for being bastardizations of Armok's will.

Then the next fort slightly less so, but still including a slow painful mutant death, and so on and so fourth until I get it right.  Then I start all over again with the other creatures.

Then maybe once I succeed I might release my completely unoriginal cast of creatures as a mod for the first time in my forumite career.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 10:05:46 pm »

I'm gonna try and mod in the Zerg.

What with the castes and all, and the new materials, I JUST might be able to pull it off.

But since I never modded anything, ever, it's gonna go horrible.

But IF I don't fail, I'm gonna mod in Minerals, Gas, and all such stuff. :D

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 10:10:39 pm »

Build fort, see what happens. Base camps down in the depths to keep pushing my soldiers deeper and deeper.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 10:40:31 pm »

Actually, I think I'm going to start a normal fortress like every other one I've done in the current version and watch how horribly it goes wrong with the new features :D
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 12:05:13 am »

Me? I'm going to build a military machine of untold, horrific, terrifying might- and then I shall breach the HFS system and scream IT'S TIME TO RAG-NA-ROCK!
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 12:21:20 am »

I imagine I'll start up a basic fort and explore the new features for a bit.

And then I'll promptly start work on Civilization Forge 2.0 and have no free time for anything else for the next few months.

I hope so, I use your civ mod in ALL my games these days, having anywhere form 6 tyo 9 extra civs that bring gods throughout the year is amazingly awesome.

If your making a new mod I'd suggest adding "Satyrs" to your mod list of civs, there actually was a 'pure' satyr mod oyu can check out here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1276

Oh yeah, You should check out my community game over here which uses your Civ mod as well.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32525.0
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4