Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Update anticipation: Imagine your first fortress.  (Read 2954 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Update anticipation: Imagine your first fortress.
« on: December 14, 2009, 01:05:34 pm »

Not much can be said about the major DF update's release date other than that it will be soon or perhaps even very soon. To me this waiting is reminiscent of the anticipation I felt as a kid in wait for a present. I imagine my first new embark with all the awesome changes and wonder what it will look like and what I'll be trying to achieve with it.

I will probably embark on a small area without much features(maybe a steam and hill) to go easy on my old processor. I will try to play one fortress for as long as possible to get the full spectrum of in-game events and maybe challenge myself not to use traps in order to get as much as I can out of the new combat system. My priority will be explore the hell out of the new underground. Hopefully the new Burrows system will allow me to make small splinter-colonies in the depths. For example if I discover a magma vent I can build housing and food supplies for a small detachment of furnace operators and smiths. These little mini forts will grow along with my main base. I was never fond of megaconstructions, I instead play this game for its amazing depth and hilarity when unexpected things happen. I will probably keep my fingers cross for discovering some peculiar bugs or HFS. Anyway I'll probably stay the hell away from these forums in order not to spoil myself like I did with the current version.

Anyway. To ease the anticipation, post what you think your first fortress will be like.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: Update anticipation: Imagine your first fortress.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 01:18:39 pm »

I'll start with the old classic: a mountain by a neutral forest.  Standards operations: stone, glass if I can find the sand for it, metal if I bump into magma or gather enough ore to make it worth my time.  Predicted cause of final fun: either tantrum spiral or (hopefully) megabeast rampage.  If I'm lucky, it'll either be above-ground titans, or subterranean abominations.
I hadn't thought of it, but avoiding the forums for a bit does seem wise.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 01:21:35 pm »

I'll probably dive right into figuring out what can be done with the new raws. There's so much new stuff going in, it'll probably be pretty overwhelming. Then I'll try to make my usual ant-colony fortress, with every dwarf doing everything as jobs pop up. It might be fun actually to make dwarves into ant-people, thinking about it. And tenacious hogger farms - they'd have metallic skin and teeth, and be piglike, except not. Small but ferocious. I'd feed my invaders to them, and harvest their tusks to make spears, if that's possible.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 01:43:01 pm »

I will likely attempt to create some sort of megaproject, inevitably leading to this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 01:43:48 pm »

I'm going to see whether the subterranean features work the same way if you embark on a beach. When I'm done with the fort, draining the ocean into the depths would probably be the best way to close up shop. :S

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 01:53:44 pm »

I'll probably dive right into figuring out what can be done with the new raws. There's so much new stuff going in, it'll probably be pretty overwhelming. Then I'll try to make my usual ant-colony fortress, with every dwarf doing everything as jobs pop up. It might be fun actually to make dwarves into ant-people, thinking about it. And tenacious hogger farms - they'd have metallic skin and teeth, and be piglike, except not. Small but ferocious. I'd feed my invaders to them, and harvest their tusks to make spears, if that's possible.

[ENTITY:COLONY]
       [CREATURE:ANTMAN]
       [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 02:58:06 pm »

A tiny surface-level encampment with just enough booze and food to power a team of seven miners to dig straight down into the bowels of Hell (i.e. the new underground system). After watching intently to see in what horrific fashion they all die, I'll send explorer after explorer in Adventure mode until I've mapped out the underground, or lose interest.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 03:18:59 pm »

I'm going to find a nice forest with a brook running through it, and set up an above ground fortress, with buildings scattered about the forest. Taking advantage of burrows and barracks assignment to allow more far-flung portions of the fortress to be self-sufficient.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 03:26:48 pm »

above ground fortress

Boo!

I'm planning on establishing a small, yet fully functional fortress.  The outsides will be channeled out and filled with magma, eventually covering the whole surface.  95% of my dwarves shall become military equipped with the best weapons I can manufacture.  The other 5% (miners) will dig into the depths, unleashing anything and everything I can find.  The ENTIRE underground shall be mined out and the moment my last champion falls, the magma shall fill the very bowels of the earth.

It will be biblical.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 03:30:51 pm »

Burrows is the main thing I'm excited about. I might use them to have two completely unassociated forts on opposite sides of the map, set them up in completely different styles (perhaps one housing the monarchy and the other housing the mayor/manager/broker/record keepers) and then try and get them to have an idealogical war. Royalty vs. The People's Army. Hehehe.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 04:26:02 pm »

Similar to what Retro said, what I'll do is have many forts, completely independent and inaccessible. No one goes in or out of each fort. However, each fort will have a kind of above-the-forts hallway, that by using a dump zone and lever, any one of the forts can dump in materials or items to another fort.

So one fort would have one farmer, (for food), and maybe seven glassmakers.
Another farm might have a farmer, and seven brewers.
A third might just have a farmer, and one woodchopper/carpenter. (The third would have access to the outside).

So each fort could live by themselves, in a case that any of the others gets attacked, but they would also utilize each other for extra benefits.

Or just a standard fort, who knows.

- Kayla

Tel_Janin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 04:58:39 pm »

I'm going to recreate my humanesque above ground town. The mines will be a bigger part of this one, and maybe the catacombs and sewers of the city will have connections to the underdark.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 04:59:43 pm »

Nuclear Catsplosion 2 : Cat-astrophe
If all works, it will be GLORIOUS!

After that, I'd reckon my first fortress will end up on the wrong end of whatever the new king of creatures will be. Or some kind of new horror that disembowels dwarves with its acid breath.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:01:40 pm by Lightning4 »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 05:25:30 pm »

I'm going to do what I always do and build a fortress anywhere to see if it lives, using my time-honoured formula of making it up as I go along. Expect my starting seven to be dead in under 30 seconds.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 05:28:24 pm »

Probably a series of throw-away forts as I figure out how the new features work, probably starting with burrows.  When I feel confident enough, I'll probably set about delving into the new underground features and see if I can find me an underground mushroom forest!  XD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4