Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Hammerfight  (Read 17013 times)

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hammerfight
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:36:14 pm »

I'm sure this name looks oddly familiar, that's because many of you have seen this game before, with a slightly different name.

Hammerfight is a physics based, steampunk-esque, flying, fighting ship game. It was originally under the name Hammerfall. Hammerfall was buggy, but fun. Hammerfight is what it became after a year of refinement and bug fixing. It looks way better than it did, and it's still a hell of a lot of fun to play. It also comes in English and Russian. For those of you who remember Hammerfall, the translations are better now.

This game also has dynamic terrain, gibs, and awesome effects. Getting one of the banners flying from your ship caught on fire can catch you on fire, which is bad. You can dodge an enemy creature hurtling at you, and watch as they slam into the ceiling and have the stones of it smash down on them.

Some screenies of it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Website is http://www.koshutin.com/

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Hammerfight
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:17:01 pm »

The new commercial version is only slightly more polished than the demo version, it's still buggy and it's still hard as hell to switch between and collect new weapons. The shopping mechanic is weird as hell too.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 02:52:04 pm »

Reminds me of HammerFall...
That was awesome. (This is okay, but a bit messy on the physics side of things...)
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 03:55:10 pm »

...That's because it's the same game, it's just been worked on and had a slight name change.

Also

The new commercial version is only slightly more polished than the demo version, it's still buggy and it's still hard as hell to switch between and collect new weapons. The shopping mechanic is weird as hell too.

The new commercial version is only slightly more polished than the demo version

Only if you call vastly updated graphics, a less linear storyline, less bugs, more weapons, and updated game modes "slight".

it's still buggy
Name a few, I haven't really encountered any. It doesn't randomly dump you back to the menu, and you aren't stuck in limbo after completing the main story line.

it's still hard as hell to switch between and collect new weapons.
It's hard to left click and fly into the weapons with the collectors? It's hard to buy them in the shop?

The shopping mechanic is weird as hell too.
What? There are only two shops, there's one that sells armor and throwing weapons, and one that sells weapons...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:01:19 pm by Captain Hat »

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 04:11:25 pm »

The demo is tiny. I liked the old demo, where at least you got more than 20 minutes of playtime out of the game.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 04:26:14 pm »

Ohsnap.
awesome.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

blazing glory

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 10:10:08 pm »

How on earth do you get new stuff? It hasn't given my any opportunity to change weapons.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 10:17:09 pm »

Oh wow this game.

It's been ages since I've played the game (and beat it at least 3 times) so my memory will be a bit sketchy. if I remember correctly you don't get access to the shop until after the level where you protect the airships from the big worm thingy. The 'shop' appears as a gamemode of sorts in the main menu. I would give you more specific information if I could but I cannot be bothered to reinstall the game right now.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 10:24:04 pm »

Oh wow this game.

It's been ages since I've played the game (and beat it at least 3 times) so my memory will be a bit sketchy. if I remember correctly you don't get access to the shop until after the level where you protect the airships from the big worm thingy. The 'shop' appears as a gamemode of sorts in the main menu. I would give you more specific information if I could but I cannot be bothered to reinstall the game right now.
It's called the "Hall" in game. Interesting that this topic pops up now as I got the urge to play Hammerfight today. Game is as excellent as it was last time I played.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 10:52:40 pm »

this game is way cool. A novelty control mechanic, executed flawlessly with heaps of atmosphere and style.

loved it.
I got nothing

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 11:05:14 pm »

I'm glad others got it working. The game reliably stuck on me after the third mission or so, refusing to complete, or fail. I never did get it to work right.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 12:11:31 am »

My problem is that I cannot get the mouse controls to work comfortably.  I've tried every option.  It's just so slow and sluggish that I'd pretty much have to unplug my keyboard and get a whole-desk mousepad to actually play it.
Shoes...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 08:48:41 am »

I think the solution to that was to have insane mouse sensitivity, to the point where it's hard to do anything in the menu, but in-game it works fine.

This is indeed one heck of a game. I think I've played it through twice, which is something I really cannot say about most games. Too bad they didn't go much further with the concept, and that some bugs remain. There was also talk of a later patch that never made it to Steam which was supposed to add some really cool gameplay concepts... can't quite recall what it contained at the moment though.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 10:06:05 am »

I've played this. A lot. Steam says I've played it for 175 hours.

I haven't seen any other game where you can hit someone so hard that they loop around the level and fly into you at ludicrous speed, killing you instantly. Mostly it hits my enemies though. There's nothing quite like seeing an enemy pull back a bit to do a good swing, only to be swept away by one of its allies crashing into it.

I mostly prefer axes and maces. I can't pierce armour with swords(and they detonate all the goddamn self-destructing guys and those firecracker bombs) and hammers deal very little damage. My usual weapon is an axe with a big red gem, but I have taken a liking to the mace with the blade edge. Have gotten to arena level 61 with those two, no health pots.

Oh, and those having problems with weapons. You can pick up weapons by holding down the left mouse button. If you end a level with a new weapon in your hand, it will be permanently added to your hall. You can carry two weapons so you can pick up a weapon at the end of levels without dropping your actual stuff(not that you would lose anything by dropping them). You can also pick up armour that has dropped off dead enemies.

The game is buggy though. Occasionally everything just dissapears, or the physics go haywire and hitting someone causes them to rocket off at 9 million km/h in the opposite direction of where you hit them. But they are pretty rare, and bugs in physics stuff are mostly hilarious. Sad to hear that some people are having more serious problems with the game.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

blazing glory

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 10:30:34 am »

I've played this. A lot. Steam says I've played it for 175 hours.

I haven't seen any other game where you can hit someone so hard that they loop around the level and fly into you at ludicrous speed, killing you instantly. Mostly it hits my enemies though. There's nothing quite like seeing an enemy pull back a bit to do a good swing, only to be swept away by one of its allies crashing into it.

I mostly prefer axes and maces. I can't pierce armour with swords(and they detonate all the goddamn self-destructing guys and those firecracker bombs) and hammers deal very little damage. My usual weapon is an axe with a big red gem, but I have taken a liking to the mace with the blade edge. Have gotten to arena level 61 with those two, no health pots.

Oh, and those having problems with weapons. You can pick up weapons by holding down the left mouse button. If you end a level with a new weapon in your hand, it will be permanently added to your hall. You can carry two weapons so you can pick up a weapon at the end of levels without dropping your actual stuff(not that you would lose anything by dropping them). You can also pick up armour that has dropped off dead enemies.

The game is buggy though. Occasionally everything just dissapears, or the physics go haywire and hitting someone causes them to rocket off at 9 million km/h in the opposite direction of where you hit them. But they are pretty rare, and bugs in physics stuff are mostly hilarious. Sad to hear that some people are having more serious problems with the game.

I myself prefer a ball on chain with a fire gem,the amount of armor I can crush with a good strike is pretty nice,and I can keep at range,I know about the dropping weapons thing,I managed to get the emperor's sword by disarming him,taking it before he could and I clumsily killed him,pretty nice sword,wish I could extract the gems and put them into my ball on chain though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7