Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Hammerfight  (Read 16999 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Hammerfight
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 10:39:36 am »

How on earth do you get new stuff? It hasn't given my any opportunity to change weapons.
My favorite way of getting new stuff was to steal it from my opponents. If you knock off a weapon or kill someone, sometimes you can catch the weapon and equip it.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 12:41:19 pm »

I remember that one of the most powerful weapons in the game was a ball and chain type weapon, it was pretty overpowered. My favorite weapons were hammers and axes, axes are a good compromise between hammers and swords where hitting an enemy dead-on is more forgiving than a sword. If I remember correctly swords can do insane amounts of damage if you use them right, but it's much more difficult.

I have to give this game another shot, does anybody know what the devs are up to now?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 12:43:20 pm »

My problem is that I cannot get the mouse controls to work comfortably.  I've tried every option.  It's just so slow and sluggish that I'd pretty much have to unplug my keyboard and get a whole-desk mousepad to actually play it.

Increase your mouse sensitivity to 11? I did that, but it makes it much easier when you can just swing with one movement. I like it a little high, but my mouse must have good sensitivity already.

ALSO PTW on one of my favorite game ever's thread. The end is so sad. ;_;
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 12:48:20 pm »

I remember that one of the most powerful weapons in the game was a ball and chain type weapon, it was pretty overpowered. My favorite weapons were hammers and axes, axes are a good compromise between hammers and swords where hitting an enemy dead-on is more forgiving than a sword. If I remember correctly swords can do insane amounts of damage if you use them right, but it's much more difficult.

I have to give this game another shot, does anybody know what the devs are up to now?
I rocked this entire game using nothing more than the rock on a chain at first, and then the spiked ball on a chain later on.

Actually at one point I had two spiked balls on chains and I discovered I could get them going in opposite directions. I had fire gems in both I think, or some kind of gem anyway. It was murderous.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 02:46:53 pm »

I forgot my mouse has its own built-in sensitivity settings.  Let's give it another try, I really liked the game when I first played it.

I like the hammer mostly.  My favorite thing is when you catch an enemy in the crook of the handle, give it a spin, and fling him so hard against the wall he explodes.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 02:54:53 pm »

The game also has it's own in game sensitivity controls. Which on full sensitivity I find is enough for me.

Swords are certainly my favorite. I got a artifact sword with a life stealing gem, a fire gem, and a intangibility gem in it. Normal way to fight is to go intangible, stick my sword in someone, then to come back to reality with my sword inside the poor sucker.

Until binding of Issac took over that role this game used to be my "play it on the side as I listen to a podcast or something game" I think I'm like rank fifty in the arena now or something.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 04:46:48 am »

I tried the demo at some point and liked what I saw, it seemed to be a pretty unique game experience.

I've been waiting for it to go on sale to pick it up. Now it shall be mine.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 01:42:37 pm »

I love this game so much.  I think I was on my second or third playthrough and got stuck somewhere after telling some high-muckety-muck to go screw himself.  You got thrown into a pit with barely anything to defend yourself with and all sorts of crazy shit was trying to kill you.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 02:13:14 pm »

I love this game so much.  I think I was on my second or third playthrough and got stuck somewhere after telling some high-muckety-muck to go screw himself.  You got thrown into a pit with barely anything to defend yourself with and all sorts of crazy shit was trying to kill you.

Yeah, that part is HARD.  At least it gets a bit easier afterwords.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 05:39:49 pm »

Oh yes, I've started playing this game again and I remember one of the ways I'd challenge myself is to not kill anyone. You can disarm people, and if you take their weapon/throw it away they will surrender.

EDIT: Is it me or is there an outrageous amoiunt of blur/motion blur? I don't remember it being this hard to see what's going on last time I played.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:29:09 pm by OzyTheSage »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 07:11:25 pm »

I don't know about blur, but guns produce a lot of smoke which makes it hard (impossible) to see what's going on in its area until it clears.

Probably if you're disarming you'll get a lot of slow motion/blur, since in my experience they are synchronous: if you hit them/their weapon hard enough to disarm them, it's puts you in "overkill" mode for a few seconds where your weapon weighs more and thus hits harder (but also affects its motion physics).

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 02:29:23 am »

I always took a single HEAVY hammer--multiple weapons just threw my balance off, and with heavy hammers, you can deflect or block everything, destroy your opponent's weapons, and slam them straight into the ground.

...I had way too much fun making a point to disarm my opponent, then mash them into paste. =D
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

blazing glory

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 03:43:57 am »

I always took a single HEAVY hammer--multiple weapons just threw my balance off, and with heavy hammers, you can deflect or block everything, destroy your opponent's weapons, and slam them straight into the ground.

...I had way too much fun making a point to disarm my opponent, then mash them into paste. =D

Well I've had much fun with the Iron ball,I can hit someone with enough force to send them crashing into a wall,usually sending their weapon flying,and having a fire gem makes it look awesome.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 06:14:30 am »

Playing more of it, yeah, I can see what you mean by blur. There's one kind of weapon that comes up far too often in the arena where they shoot out three small explosives per shot, for three or four shots. Basically it covers most of the screen in explosives which usually causes some... not really a stun (with the circling stars) but I guess the hammerfight equivalent of a flashbang as sounds dull/replaced with a whine and things tend to blur a little. It is very annoying and especially unfair in the cramped space of the arena (even in the desert map it is hard to avoid).

I beat the story twice now, though I haven't unlocked tribal wars or the polo-sport mode yet. I wish it was a bit longer, or that some of the branch choices made a bigger difference in how the story plays out (or that there were longer end goals to the other game modes).

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 08:58:33 am »

Don't forget the weapon that fires about two dozen firecracker things all over the place. I also notice that when speech bubbles go away it leaves a sort of afterglow, and I imagine that effect applies to a lot of thing in the game that makes it weird. I wonder if it;'s because I changed the resolution in the config thingy...

Back when I first played I never used shields because I didn't realize you could bind them to any key, not just the number keys. I have no idea how I manage to do so well back then.

What is this 'tribal wars' mode you're talking about? I've never heard/seen it, but I have unlocked the hammerball mode. Speaking of gamemodes, you can kinda screw yourself over, I've found, if you don't choose the 'hard' path at the beginning of the game. It's the only way to unlock the 'great hunt' mode and that mode allows you get get singing gems which are really awesome. The only gem I've really used before is the ruby gem, but I got a large purple gem recently and slapped it onto the heaviest hammer I could buy. That thing is really awesome, it even makes the screen get distorted when it charges up =p
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7