Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Building a military FAST - HOW?  (Read 2074 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building a military FAST - HOW?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 11:47:06 am »

Build a pump stack to dump a single tile of magma on the world (don't try to flood it, that's just wasteful). The wild fire will be purging and leave you with goblinite ore and a bunch of free bones for crafting. Very entertaining and practical at the same time. Bonus points for doing this with a dragon pillbox.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 12:36:18 pm »

In my experience, magma doesn't light adjacent tiles on fire. It burns them when it spreads to them, sure, but if a tile doesn't have magma in it, it won't light up. You need a fire imp or a chunk of burning lignite or something to start a fire properly.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 02:12:03 pm »

Hmm, strange, I swear I've dropped magma on a tile and had it light before.

Guess you should get an imp pillbox then. Shouldn't be too hard.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 03:40:20 pm »

Build a pump stack to dump a single tile of magma on the world (don't try to flood it, that's just wasteful). The wild fire will be purging and leave you with goblinite ore and a bunch of free bones for crafting. Very entertaining and practical at the same time. Bonus points for doing this with a dragon pillbox.

Problem #1: Fort entrance on Rhyolite, not Grass.

Problem #2: Most of the grass is ash anyway.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 06:48:32 pm »

Ahh. Then patrols and watch animals. The downside, of course, is you'll go through watch animals damn fast, but such is the cost.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 12:46:09 pm »

Well, the problem's less urgent now. I have a squad of nearly-champions, a champion, a brain-damaged axedwarf, and my training squad.
I've also just gotten migrants, and recruited them to the military and fort guard, so the guards can train people in wrestling.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: 1 2 [3]