Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Did this degenerate into alcohol thread?  (Read 13125 times)

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smart Drugs advice
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2009, 04:16:22 am »

'Cause they're not the rawest form of the drug, opium and coca-leaf.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2009, 04:19:44 am »

If processed materials count as natural then everything is natural. I mean, even oil is residue from what once was living matter, minerals are arguably a natural resource, so everything we synthesize from those materials must be natural as well...

So yes, natural means "unprocessed" (simple processes such as drying, picking, smoking and making tea not included).

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2009, 04:24:26 am »

Ah but there is something else: Natural products (shrooms, marihuana) can be inspected with the naked eye. If you get a powder or a pill from someone who couldn't care less if you died or not (eg: a drugdealer), you'll just going to have to trust him that it will not kill you. Trusting drugdealers to be beneficial to you can be fatal.

You can't trust a drug dealer who gives you anything. You can cut heroin and cocaine with foreign substances, and you can taint marijuana leaves with foreign substances that you also can't detect with the naked eye. So no, your naked eye cannot tell whether or not a supposedly-natural drug has other junk in it.

Nicotin is not deadly. I've been using it the last 16 years every day of my life and I'm still not dead. Unlike the promise on the package. I think I'll sue them.  8)
Besides, it's the tar and smoke particles that kill you, not the nicotin.

Anecdotal evidence consisting of one person's experience means absolutely nothing. There's a reason people speak in terms of risk and not certainty.

And as far as nicotine goes, it hasn't really been shown to be carcinogenic or anything like that, and I certainly wouldn't call it "deadly", but it still has long-term side effects on the central nervous system and is highly, highly, highly physiologically addictive in a way that's extremely difficult to get over.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2009, 04:27:39 am »

Oh yes, very addictive, but not very deadly.

And yes, you can put something in my marihuana, but I can still tell whether it is marihuana or not, with the naked eye, so the benefit of the effort to f me up is not there. The pills you sell me could be either placebo's or his grandma's heartmedicine that would kill me, and I won't be able to tell the difference. Yet you can sell them at a big profit, and there is a benefit to your efforts.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2009, 05:53:39 am »

Nicotin is not deadly. I've been using it the last 16 years every day of my life and I'm still not dead. Unlike the promise on the package. I think I'll sue them.  8)
Besides, it's the tar and smoke particles that kill you, not the nicotin.

Actually nicotine is deadly, 60mg I think is the toxic level for humans, and is used as the basis for a large number of pesticides.

The levels you get in cigarettes would only kill you if your body actually absorbed it all. As it is only a small amount of the total in a cigarette is absorbed and so it is, as you say, the other things that lead to the medical issues.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2009, 06:01:56 am »

Concentrations are toxic, not substances. This was established a long time ago and still everyone calls certain substances toxic and others not. Fact is that any substance is deadly and toxic, in large enough amounts.

The drugs we're talking about are usually toxic in small concentrations, and the dose you need to take to get some effect is bordering on their toxic concentration, which is what makes them so dangerous.

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2009, 06:04:04 am »

Nicotine has an LD50 of about 0.5–1.0mg/kg. Compared to other commonly ingested drugs (alcohol, cocaine, THC, LSD, caffeine) which all have LD50s at least an order of magnitude higher this is extremly deadly.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2009, 06:27:05 am »

... so what is your point?

Let me rephrase: Nicotine ingested in the normal manner of smoking tobacco is not deadly.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2009, 06:38:53 am »

... so what is your point?

Let me rephrase: Nicotine ingested in the normal manner of smoking tobacco is not deadly.

No-one is denying that, however florain's orginal post was

For example, nicotin is completely natural but still incredibly deadly and addictive. LSD is not natural but one of the least harmful drugs.

Which is completely true but one which you refuted. It is an example, one of many, where natural chemicals are far more harmful than synthetic ones. LSD being the case in point here because it metabolises practically instantly.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2009, 07:14:00 am »

But you don't smoke nicotine, you smoke tobacco.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2009, 07:41:33 am »

But you don't smoke nicotine, you smoke tobacco.

You do both. Along with ammonia, arsenic, benzene, lead, cadmium and about 4000 other chemicals. Some of these are harmless binding agents, some for flavour enhancement (honey, chocolate, vanilla), others I have no idea :)

But you smoke more than just tobacco, and LSD is still less harmful :)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2009, 07:45:32 am »

LSD is still less harmful :)
That depends on your definition of "harmful".
LSD can trigger psychoses, can induce flashbacks much later on, and noone has ever jumped off of a building thinking he could fly while under the influence of nicotine.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2009, 07:57:06 am »

LSD is still less harmful :)
That depends on your definition of "harmful".
LSD can trigger psychoses, can induce flashbacks much later on,
That's true, tripping is rolling the dice. You can't tell if it's going to fuck with your  brain until afterwards when it's too late. Still, these negative side effects are pretty rare - but psychedelics stil aren't toys, it's true.

Also, I've never heard of anybody going off the deep end from using psychedelics once or a couple of times, it's usually people who do it all the damn time that become space cadets. I can see why; those things seriously fuck with reality and if you did them all the time you could easily start to lose touch with the real world. 'Course, after I did shrooms, my reaction was "OK, I'm not doing that again for at the very least another year." It's been 3 years and I still haven't touched them again. I think you'd have to be a little off to start using them habitually in the first place.

[/quote] and noone has ever jumped off of a building thinking he could fly while under the influence of nicotine.
[/quote]
That's incredibly rare in general, and nonexistent if people did their homework before tripping
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2009, 08:10:51 am »

if people did their homework before tripping
And that, my friends, is the best advice.

It still happens though. Shrooms are now illegal here (didnt used to be) since a year or so ago some stupid tourist jumped out of her hotel window while under influence... *sigh*

(Stupid? Yes, she had also mixed it with alcohol and other drugs)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2009, 08:35:25 am »

Have you guys heard of erowid? If you wish to talk drugs of ANY sort, it is by far the best place to go for information on effects, chemistry, history, legality, etc., and should really be mandatory reading before a discussion on the subject.

Also, seratonin antagonists such as LSD also have another advantage; they have a 'cooldown' period. The effect of acid taken a short time (say a day or so) after taking a greater than threshhold dose of LSD or similar compound is hugely reduced, to the point where you cannot trip on LSD twice in quick succesion unless you happen to have a bottle of saturated liquid LSD handy.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11