Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Did this degenerate into alcohol thread?  (Read 13130 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Smart Drugs advice
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2009, 05:11:01 pm »

Actually there is a drug, I can't remember what it's called though.  It allows you to go like 72 hours without sleep, gives you really good clarity of thought and math ability, and doesn't have any major side effects.  It's not like you can't sleep when you have it, you can sleep all you want.  You just don't have to.

It's legal, but I imagine it's super-expensive.
Shoes...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2009, 05:15:11 pm »

No side effects? I call shenanigans. Sleep is important to memory formulation and probably a whole lot of other things.

Something like that might work if you take it, I don't know, once, but there is no medical alternative to sleep, and sleeping eight hours after every 72 is simply not going to be viable in the long-term no matter what wacky miracle drug you're taking.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2009, 05:38:38 pm »

What Cthulhu's describing is almost certainly a stimulant, probably an amphetamine of some kind, like what the Air Force gave to pilots on long flights, and yeah, there are always side effects.  The claim of 72 hours with no mental deterioration was probably just bull from whoever told you, though.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:40:34 pm by Footkerchief »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2009, 05:39:26 pm »

That's what I was thinking, and yeah, long-term effects of amphetamine use are not very fun. Well, they might be Fun, but not fun.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2009, 05:42:41 pm »

Nutmeg is the only thing I'll take even if I'll decide to. Never something illegal or outright deadly  ;)
But Siquo do you know something I do not know perchance?
Nutmeg is a terrible idea, there's a reason nobody uses it as a recreational drug. I know a couple people who've tried it, one said it just made their body feel shuddery and gave them bad dreams, the other one said it had no effect other than when he woke up the next day, he saw a naked man sitting on his bed. Then he blinked and the man was gone. That's it.

But if you're into mind-altering, why would write off a substance just because it's illegal? Alcohol was illegal for 10 years for similar stupid reasons to why weed is illegal now, and they wasted similar amounts of money locking people up for it. Also, salvia is legal in many states although there's been a campaign to paint it as the next crystal meth, which is hilariously uninformed.

I can't really recommend any psychedelics though. I just did shrooms once and it was pretty insane so I don't think they're for me.

And of course, if you're using drugs recreationally, do it moderately. A couple beers (unless it's a party and you like to get blasted, in which case do it infrequently), a couple hits, a cig now and then or a hookah night every once in a while. Dont' abuse your health

Also, never use prescription drugs for fun, there's a reason they don't sell those OTC, because they're damn addictive, I'm looking at you, Ambien
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2009, 07:44:25 pm »

No illegal drugs are going to make you smarter, only wiser :P. Having high intelligence is agreeing proactively with the social consensus to what is 'right'. And the social consensus - unless the consensus is that the government exerts power over the people - is that illegal drugs are bad and dumb. Illegality does nothing to prevent it's forbidden actions, other than to send the message that such and such an action is wrong. Free thinkers decide what is right irrespective of the social consensus, and therefore you'll find few academics amoung them. Academics deem it clean to be in their proper place. Probably everyone is a mixture of each.

Probably that could be written better as just, intelligence is in the realm of conservatism, cons. in the literal sense. Drugs won't help you in your school grades, particularly the illegal ones.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2009, 08:09:09 pm »

Way to soapbox, but he was referring specifically to the ability to focus and concentrate, and on actual mental ability. You can complain about the man keeping you down for disagreeing with him all you want, but I think it's pretty well-established what we're talking about here.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2009, 08:41:40 pm »

Alright. *Looks around*, Well where's the 'wikipedia is l33t' thread?

Ibetter edit this for substance, I think taking any drug, properly, is smarter than never taking any at all.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:52:26 pm by codezero »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2009, 08:57:08 pm »

Smart? drugs?

No no no, your doing it wrong.

start here-

Why do you need to be smarter?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 09:11:46 pm »

Ibetter edit this for substance, I think taking any drug, properly, is smarter than never taking any at all.

That's pretty tautological, though, because "properly" is almost certainly being defined as "when it's beneficial and those benefits outweigh the risk" or something. So yeah, of course it's better to do something when doing something is better than not doing it.

Of course, you have some people who avoid medication and such for really bizarre reasons that don't make any sense to begin with, so... yeah.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2009, 11:07:36 pm »

I guess both experimenting and refraining can both be a rewarding experience, I can't say I don't do both, I smoke MJ but I refuse synthetics legal or otherwise.  I'd rather be 'natural'. I've tried heroin, coke, ice and eccy's out of curiosity but none I found were worth the risk/side effects for the high.

It's hard to say anything other than it all comes down to the person you want to reflect. Also to the OP if you do drugs for the purpose of becoming smarter, I think you will, just like if you studied for that purpose.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2009, 12:12:10 am »

I can't say I don't do both, I smoke MJ but I refuse synthetics legal or otherwise.  I'd rather be 'natural'.

I think I'm repeating myself here, but maybe it bears repeating that there's no inherent bonus for something being "natural". A lot of toxic crap that'll kill you outright is completely natural and a lot of completely inert/harmless stuff is completely synthetic. Whether or not something's natural shouldn't really matter to the decision-making process, as it doesn't tell you anything. It's more important to actually research what it is.

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2009, 12:51:15 am »

For example, nicotin is completely natural but still incredibly deadly and addictive. LSD is not natural but one of the least harmful drugs.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2009, 03:54:50 am »

Ah but there is something else: Natural products (shrooms, marihuana) can be inspected with the naked eye. If you get a powder or a pill from someone who couldn't care less if you died or not (eg: a drugdealer), you'll just going to have to trust him that it will not kill you. Trusting drugdealers to be beneficial to you can be fatal.

"Natural" drugs are drugs that are already known as drugs, nobody said nature won't kill you. The concentration of effective substance in them are also lower, making it quite hard to overdose on "natural" drugs.

Nicotin is not deadly. I've been using it the last 16 years every day of my life and I'm still not dead. Unlike the promise on the package. I think I'll sue them.  8)
Besides, it's the tar and smoke particles that kill you, not the nicotin.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2009, 04:08:52 am »

Ah but there is something else: Natural products (shrooms, marihuana) can be inspected with the naked eye. If you get a powder or a pill from someone who couldn't care less if you died or not (eg: a drugdealer), you'll just going to have to trust him that it will not kill you. Trusting drugdealers to be beneficial to you can be fatal.

Wait, in what sense are heroin and cocaine not "natural"?  I guess you mean they aren't processed or something.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11