Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: The world as an equivalent of DF running in God's brain (atheists welcome)  (Read 9063 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: The world as an equivalent of DF running in God's brain (atheists welcome)
« Reply #120 on: December 14, 2009, 01:20:11 pm »

Closed alpha testing that will become beta once the deity fufills his goals (for example, core65, simplify quantum interactions; core97, add clearer accredation of the programme).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 14, 2009, 01:27:12 pm »

I don't see why everyone cries about Vista.  My laptop uses Vista, and I like it even more than XP.  The only problem I've noticed is that it sometimes doesn't shut down, but I'm pretty sure that has to do with my settings, not Vista itself.
Shoes...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2009, 04:29:11 pm »

Two of the computers in the house have Vista and I don't mind it. The only annoying problem I've come across so far is there's too many unnecessary warning screens like 'this game may not be working, would you like to reinstall it?' which only came up after I'd been playing the game for three hours without a problem.

Another big one would be 'install <let's say a game>'
"Would you like to install this game yes/no?"
"An installation has been authorized. Would you like to authorize it yes/no?"
"An installation has started, we need your confirmation yes/no?"

At which point, I'm pulling my hair out. But it's only once in a little while it happens, I don't play many games nowadays that I can't play online or on my laptop.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2009, 04:31:40 pm »

Vista is pointless now that Windows 7 is out (AKA "Windows Vista bigass stand alone service pack". Incidentally that's 7 words.) and XP is still around.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2009, 05:08:07 pm »

Vista is pointless now that Windows 7 is out (AKA "Windows Vista bigass stand alone service pack". Incidentally that's 7 words.) and XP is still around.
Eh, Windows 7 is probably a bigger update than Vista was, in my opinion.  Certainly a better one...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2009, 06:15:36 am »

So you claim the universe is still in beta?
Some people would argue that this would explain a lot. :)

(Now, what was that old short story I heard reproduced on the radio the other day, the one where a guy works out that the moon (for a short time) is in the wrong position in its orbit, and finds evidence that it's due to an 'error' beam propogating through the universe, thus changing the balance between science and esoteric beliefs..?  Of course, it was still a distinctly anthopocentric concept, behind that story, that the people of that fictional Earth just happen to be the near-focus of a such a 'memory-glitch event' in the fabric of the universe, but other than that it was interestingly philosophical work.)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2009, 08:29:03 am »

So you claim the universe is still in beta?
Some people would argue that this would explain a lot. :)

It would, actually. Not the least of which being it would explain why the universe is so boring.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2009, 09:08:52 am »

Only because you're not currently setting things on fire.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2009, 09:10:29 am »

Even fire eventually loses it's charm.

Admittedly it hasn't done so yet, but i imagine it will at some point in the future.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2009, 01:10:01 pm »

Even fire eventually loses it's charm.
Sacrilege!

And in the world's defense, the people in Simcity probably think their world is pretty boring too.(At least until I get bored and rain Godzillas/UFOs/meteors upon them.)

Edit: typo
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2009, 02:04:53 pm »

Well, so much of the universe is just lazily programmed, empty space.  Perhaps God will have the "interesting space" update soon.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2009, 10:06:14 pm »

I don't see why everyone cries about Vista.  My laptop uses Vista, and I like it even more than XP.  The only problem I've noticed is that it sometimes doesn't shut down, but I'm pretty sure that has to do with my settings, not Vista itself.

EDIT: spoilered to avoid potential derail
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2009, 04:55:44 am »

Spoilered for similar reasons as Lord D.

Yeah, Vista is hell on my laptop as well. But then, I can't blame Vista for it exploding.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2009, 09:14:51 am »

Oh dear, the third person forms the queue, the third spoiler-to-not-derail person probably sets the derail in stone.

However:
Yeah, Vista is hell on my laptop as well. But then, I can't blame Vista for it exploding.
The last computer that exploded on me was my Win98 one.  Two or three years ago, that was, so I can't rule out age.

I regularly deal with two computers (both laptops) that have Vista.  If they'd come with XP licence keys, I'd have long ago pursuaded the owners to upgrade to the predecessor OS.  I really don't get on with Vista.  Or the Intuitive Ribbon Interface of Office 2007.

But, hang on.  This thread is about the thoughts of gods, so the above spoilered derailing is less derailing than the Vista bit.  I'm confused.  And I need to post some parcels, which is a good a reason as any to stop typing and STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2009, 10:52:34 am »

I will post a final spoilered derail that is only tangentially related to Starver's.

Anyway, anyone else have thoughts about the thoughts of gods?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]