Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: The world as an equivalent of DF running in God's brain (atheists welcome)  (Read 9058 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The world as an equivalent of DF running in God's brain (atheists welcome)
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2009, 08:42:53 pm »

What do you think the dwarves think? Don't you think they believe that their world was generated by a god(s)?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Hakazaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2009, 08:44:53 pm »

It was ;) but they still don't worship the right one.

He doesn't even want to be worshiped.

We could just be in a game two you know.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:47:32 pm by Hakazaba »

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2009, 08:56:08 pm »

I think, therefore I am.
Ha, yay for recycling old quotes. I admit that I suck at this whole philosophy thing.

As for the Dorfs, I don't know what they believe about the starting of their world. Even if they believe that their respective gods created the world, they have it all wrong.

In any case, the program created the dwarves' world, which exists within the planes of the Finite Hard Disk. And Toady created the program. Which probably means that they should have a bastard religion that deifies both Toady's parents and Macintosh. Because no one would ever want to worship Windows.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Hakazaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2009, 09:01:49 pm »

I think, therefore I am.
Ha, yay for recycling old quotes. I admit that I suck at this whole philosophy thing.

As for the Dorfs, I don't know what they believe about the starting of their world. Even if they believe that their respective gods created the world, they have it all wrong.

In any case, the program created the dwarves' world, which exists within the planes of the Finite Hard Disk. And Toady created the program. Which probably means that they should have a bastard religion that deifies both Toady's parents and Macintosh. Because no one would ever want to worship Windows.

Now do you see how this relates to us :)

Yes, you may think but you can't Prove that you think, or am, at all anything.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2009, 10:31:30 pm »

I think, therefore I am.

In any case, the program created the dwarves' world, which exists within the planes of the Finite Hard Disk. And Toady created the program. Which probably means that they should have a bastard religion that deifies both Toady's parents and Windows/Linux. Because no one would ever want to worship Macintosh.
much better.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2009, 07:45:44 am »

Well congrats, Mike, you've succeeded in scaring the shit out of me. I need to stop considering oblivion, it really terrifies me. It's why I'm a Catholic, I suppose (although I really do believe in God).

That said, it's an extremely interesting and well reasoned read.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2009, 07:19:01 pm »

I think, therefore I am.

Now do you see how this relates to us :)

Yes, you may think but you can't Prove that you think, or am, at all anything.

The thinking is proof that you are to yourself. Cogito ergo sum is more of the platform on which the Descartes philosophy, and all non-absurdist/sophist/nihilist philosophies, rest.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2009, 01:22:01 pm »

I think, therefore I am.

In any case, the program created the dwarves' world, which exists within the planes of the Finite Hard Disk. And Toady created the program. Which probably means that they should have a bastard religion that deifies both Toady's parents and Windows/Linux. Because no one would ever want to worship Macintosh.
much better.

Why would you worship Windows? I understand Linux, but Windows? I hate windows...hope I'm not part of a windows program.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2009, 02:57:32 pm »

It's not so much a love of windows (though that is the operating system I use, and it makes me confirm EVERYTHING! repeatedly!) as a massive, irrational hatred of apple and anything made by apple. Strange, as I am usually a very logical person...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2009, 11:26:23 pm »

I would like an Apple, I have a linux and a windows...(I get the confirmation stuff too, it's evil!), and I only have the windows because you practicly need it for compatibility reasons.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2009, 09:46:08 pm »

I was considering getting a MacBook because I need something reliable for college, and from my experience with Vista, it's been anything but reliable. Plus, my laptop is a beast, is a power-hungry bastard, is way too heavy, and the fan rattles like a chainsaw.

If Windows 7 turns out to be better than the chronic headache of Vista, maybe I'll consider that.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2009, 04:36:05 am »

windows ME:Windows XP == Windows Vista:Windows7

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2009, 11:22:36 am »

windows ME:Windows XP == Windows Vista:Windows7
I would have gone with Windows ME:Windows 9x == Windows Vista:Windows XP.  i.e. rushed the long-heralded "answer to everything" direct successor out with far too many tweaks, bells and whistles and not enough care and forethought, even while a different department was busy prepping something else (2K[1] for ME; maybe W7, or perhaps Server200whatever, for Vista)

But that's only because my own personal jury isn't out yet, on W7, and there's that dislocation between the 9x/ME arc and the NT/2K/XP/onwards one.  Arguably almost as much as W9x was dislocated from the Win3.x ending series.

Anyway... What was the point again? :)

[1] Albeit that 2K (still a nice stable platform) was coming up on the inside track of ME, prepping the course for taking over the batton in the form of XP, whereas W7 was still a bit of a pipedream and the Server-<foo> set aren't even another team of the same relay race, but in a different race and possibly in a different stadium, albeit possibly started by runners who are old school followers of the original NT athletes.  To horribly spin out the metaphor!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2009, 11:28:54 am »

Just as a quick note to the OP: I don't think the universe is an equivalent of DF running in God's brain.  I think the universe is a version of DF and God is an overstretched programmer desperately trying to tame it.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2009, 01:12:10 pm »

Just as a quick note to the OP: I don't think the universe is an equivalent of DF running in God's brain.  I think the universe is a version of DF and God is an overstretched programmer desperately trying to tame it.
So you claim the universe is still in beta?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9