Poll

Do you savescum?

Whenever I feel like it
- 65 (33.7%)
Only to correct bugs and other alpha-related occurances
- 27 (14%)
Almost never
- 57 (29.5%)
Losing is fun and savescuming is cheating!
- 44 (22.8%)

Total Members Voted: 193

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Do you savescum?  (Read 6132 times)

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you savescum?
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2009, 04:15:56 am »

Losing is fun, but rebuilding from a loss is not.

I like to watch disasters happen, and then save scum to just before the glitch or mistake.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2009, 06:17:18 am »

Depends on the game. In Dwarf Fortress, never.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2009, 07:15:35 am »

I generally savescum when dealing with water and walls, because nearly every time somehow someone gets stuck behind. And drowns. If I can leave it for whatever reason (say, they can swim because they're natural swimmers and they can still get out) I won't bother. But it sucks to lose dudes because of bad pathfinding and a lack of common sense.

Being taken out by a two hundred strong elf raiding party? Nah. That was just crazy. I didn't think they'd get that pissed after one year.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 12:08:12 am »

I make a backup save (copy the game folder I'm playing into another folder) every half hour or so. Why? Mostly because I find the first year or so of the game (before the first immigrant wave) rather boring, so I don't want to have to do it more than neccesary, and I'd rather not lose my entire fortress due to doing something stupid or making an honest mistake.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 05:02:04 am »

Ha ha! Look at the silent majority.

Hopefully some day the game won't let me savescum, for while it does, I will, even if I wish I wouldn't.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 05:25:02 am »

One day in Nethack I copied a save file of a particularly good wizard I had going.  As soon as I loaded that save, confident that I was safe from perma-death, I stopped caring about the game.   I exited and deleted both save files.

Savescumming is the refuge of those cowards who want to use an interactive medium as a book they know the ending to.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 07:17:16 am »

I typically only savescum in situations I view to be unfair, mostly related to shortcomings of the game - such as loosing a battle because a squad leader walked off, legendary miner/mason walling himself in and starving to death, loosing a liaison, etc.

I rarely savescum if I lose a dwarf, battle or even fortress fair and square. I usually put tantrum spirals in this category as well, unless they were exceptionally stupid.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 08:48:07 am »

Savescumming is the refuge of those cowards who want to use an interactive medium as a book they know the ending to

What about using it as the middle for those who don't want to deal with the introduction? Or a stupid death sequence that kills regardless of skill. (DANG SECRET WALLS!)

Though you becoming uninterested in Nethack doesn't surprise me. Other then crippling difficulty and tons and tons of secrets that you would have long since spoiled to the point of pointlessness there really isn't too much more is there? The game suppliments gameplay with difficulty and even that difficulty is suplimented by the 5-10 pages you need to read to beat the game.

Save Scum the puzzle in Nethack? Totally justified! The game is just brimmed with "You should have known it was comming and prepared 5 floors ago" deaths.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:51:27 am by Neonivek »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 09:58:49 am »

One day in Nethack I copied a save file of a particularly good wizard I had going.  As soon as I loaded that save, confident that I was safe from perma-death, I stopped caring about the game.   I exited and deleted both save files.

Savescumming is the refuge of those cowards who want to use an interactive medium as a book they know the ending to.

DF is at heart nothing less than a fantasy story generator/telling aid.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2009, 10:12:42 am »

All the time. Whenever I feel it is necessary. I give ALL my dwarves names and imagine little stories and things.

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2009, 11:40:11 am »

I only savescum in adventurer mode, and only when I get killed by something that came out of nowhere, leaving me no chance to react. This mostly means an arrow from somewhere I couldn't even see (or, in one case, a blowdart). Damn cheating radar vision guards. :<

I do not normally savescum in fortress mode, but there has been one notable exception. Namely, when my favorite guard captain for SOME INEXPLICABLE REASON ran into my atom smasher, which made me facepalm (and construct a safety door later).

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 11:49:21 am »

No matter how badly I mess up, I will not savescum. Even if I managed to plunge the world into darkness and fire, I'd still play.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2009, 11:52:21 am »

I've never savescummed, and I won't do it ever :D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2009, 11:54:31 am »

No matter how badly I mess up, I will not savescum. Even if I managed to plunge the world into darkness and fire, I'd still play.

I need to learn not to use saves in Empire Total War

It is much too tempting to just shrug off all losses and win rather quickly with the power of loading saves.

Though for the most part I just want to win first.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2009, 07:01:01 pm »

I savescum often enough because DF is unfinished to the point where silly and stupid things happen on a fairly regular basis. I'd feel worse about savescumming if my dwarves knew to run TOWARDS the damn gate instead of away from it when being chased outside by a deer, or if liasons actually got replaced.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6