Poll

Do you savescum?

Whenever I feel like it
- 65 (33.7%)
Only to correct bugs and other alpha-related occurances
- 27 (14%)
Almost never
- 57 (29.5%)
Losing is fun and savescuming is cheating!
- 44 (22.8%)

Total Members Voted: 193

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Do you savescum?  (Read 6118 times)

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
Re: Do you savescum?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 06:29:14 pm »

Only once, when I had a mishap with my fort's new water supply.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 06:32:17 pm »

Constantly.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 08:14:09 pm »

Very rarely.  Probably less than 5 times in 2 years.  I usually only wanna do it when I'm curious about how something will happen that I know that I would have no hope of recovering from. 

Like hacking the game to replace half the population with zombies to watch how things turn out or filling an entire side of the map 6 z levels high of river sources and see if I can make the entire fortress airtight before it goes underwater....then adding zombies.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 08:27:27 pm »

Greiger, I notice a pattern of sorts emerging...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 08:36:51 pm »

Very rarely.  Probably less than 5 times in 2 years.  I usually only wanna do it when I'm curious about how something will happen that I know that I would have no hope of recovering from. 

Like hacking the game to replace half the population with zombies to watch how things turn out or filling an entire side of the map 6 z levels high of river sources and see if I can make the entire fortress airtight before it goes underwater....then adding zombies.

Yeah, if I'm experimenting or doing something crazy, I'll make a back-up of my save so I can savescum to my heart's content while I'm trying to check something out that requires abandoning the fort or having a bunch of important dorfs die or whatever

Otherwise I never do it. Its not just not fun or challenging if you just undo every mistake you make or unlucky event that happens.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 08:45:07 pm »

I don't really savescum that often, but sometimes I do. This only applies to the times when something prevents me from having fun.
Also, I seem to get a muckload of dwarves (120-180 or so), and every once in a while I'll customize some of them and make up some kind of story, give them names, give them cool jobs and such.
Like I usually have a Hammerqueen(yes, self made title ofc) in all of my fortresses .
This lady is given a name, the position of "captain of the guard" and gets one helluva nifty hammer. If she dies to a fucking goblin arrow to the chest, accidental booze explosion, or something else pathetic, then I rage, rage hard, and savescum.
(btw, does anyone else do this customization stuff?I feel kinda..fruity for doing it.)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 08:56:44 pm »

Tofu, go to the thread about quirky DF behaviours. It got created recently.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 09:17:08 pm »

I actually do find losing to be fun.
That or intensely amusing.
Not sure which.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 09:18:28 pm »

I mostly only savescum for fort-ending events. Deaths for any reason arn't enough, excepting of course complete annihilation.  Though occasionally I have re-fought a siege if casualties are far too heavy (loss of ability to fight off further sieges).

I get bored of forts and restart around year five or six anyway, so I'd rather not do the start over again...

Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 09:27:55 pm »

Only on fortress mode to avoid fortkilling stuff early on, otherwise never. After the fort has grown, it almost never succumbs by itself, but when it does, its a crowning moment of win, and I love revisiting the site in adv mode
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 09:47:59 pm »

It kind of depends on your definition of savescum.

If by savescum you mean to do taskmanager to back out and go to the previous save. I rarely do that method. I usually do it when I screw up in a way that wouldn't be fun, once when I accidentially squished my liason on the map edge bridge barrier, did that a few times to rescue a liason from a gobbo ambush, the current game when I was using a marksdwarf to clear the river of carp and tigerfish when I made the mistake of putting him on the edge of the river. Since I wanted to keep that marksdwarf, I backed out and went to the lastest save.

I do that all the time with checking out embark sites, but I consider that scouting and not cheating.

If you mean making another copy of the game folder, I've only done that a few times and just to check something out in the legends.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 12:21:02 am »

task manager method only, and I don't have any of the auto save features turned on... Usually when I decide I don't like how I designed something and I'd rather start digging fresh than plugging and filling with construction.  Once or twice when the human representative spawned at a point where he pathed through two goblin ambushes... I need him to request wood from!

Oddly, I seem to use task manager on my game all the time, and it has never corrupted my saves.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 12:57:52 am »

Hmmm my answer seems to be none of the above.

I never Savescum but frankly I could care less that people do. In fact I support it!

In Dwarf Fortresses case the reason the game doesn't allow multiple saves (for more then one reason) is because each death is not supposed to be the end but rather a continuation of what was happening. A lost fortress or adventurer is supposed to help forge the world.

Though restarting forts and adventurers take SOOO long!!! So it is rather setbackish. So Save Scumming is a big pain saver.

For other Roguelikes it is just because the game is meant to be difficult. (It WOULD be fake difficulty but it seems a bit more like weeding out the casuals when you get them to elaborate on it long enough) So I fully support save scumming there.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 02:36:39 am »

When it comes to working on my actual fortress I'll never savescum at all. Because the thing I always look for is a challenge because as the saying goes.... LOSING IS FUN!!!

But being a modder, I will only save scum at times to test certain experiments on mock fortress to see how everything flows as I work on the mod incase something messed up like in the world gen of game play process.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 03:38:19 am »

I have never save-scummed with Dwarf Fortress. However, when it comes to dungeon rouge-likes, I get bored of dieing at the beginning quickly, and start save-scumming to get a single adventurer through (although when playing it, I'll make many non-save side adventures).
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6