Poll

Do you savescum?

Whenever I feel like it
- 65 (33.7%)
Only to correct bugs and other alpha-related occurances
- 27 (14%)
Almost never
- 57 (29.5%)
Losing is fun and savescuming is cheating!
- 44 (22.8%)

Total Members Voted: 193

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Do you savescum?  (Read 6114 times)

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you savescum?
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2009, 07:14:37 pm »

I voted "almost never".  Fact is I never have, but I do not consider it "cheating" as it is a tried and true video gaming methodology.  Especially if I were trying to do some huge megaproject, I might be much more tempted to savescum.  But right now I am trying to figure out how to cut emo spirals, how to plan for rapid growth, etc, and one can hardly learn these things while micromanaging through savescumming, so I don't do it for now.

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2009, 07:36:40 pm »

All the time. Whenever I feel it is necessary. I give ALL my dwarves names and imagine little stories and things.

Hehe. Yes, the game is quite brutal when you do not save and let everyone DIE and DIE and DIE.

Somehow, the tragic ends to their little stories make me happy too though.  Someone once told me that dwarves are particularly suited to the tragic tale.  For me at least, it holds true.

I play dwarves on most games that offer them. 

Anyhow, yeah, I can see how savescumming could help one guide the tales of all the dwarves involved if one were so meticulous as to name each and every dwarf.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2009, 07:51:55 pm »

So in other words, yes I savescum. But only in the interests of having fun.

Says it all for me, really.

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2009, 10:11:49 pm »

The term "savescum" itself is assinine and should not be used in this sense. Seriously, using that term is a dick move.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2009, 10:26:53 pm »

Well, the fact is, saving (and loading) in DF isn't that easy and readily accessible, comparatively to other game where you just have to press "F5" and got a new save. In DF you have to save, which exit the current game, then reload it, and continue. If you want your backup games to be useful, you also have to keep at least the 2 last one, in case the last had already an unrecoverable error in it. And you have to save pretty often, if you don't want to play again a whole month or two... plus the risk of nemesis error.

So yeah, if you want to savescum efficiently, you have to work a bit on your files, and that's tedious.

So most of the time, I just save when something unfair or dangerous can happen (when I'm ready to pull a lever to launch some kind of elaborated contraption that took years to build for instance). The reste of the time, if I screw up really badly or some other disaster happens without me realizing it, I must choose between coping with it or savescumming to the last save or seasonal autosave (which might be months ago), so it often give some "weight to the savescum idea.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2009, 10:47:16 pm »

I only savescum for:

-The convenience of experiments
-Really stupid bugs (not just imbalance, and stupid dwarves deserve to stay dead!)
-Did something that prevents a later megaproject idea from seeing fruition

In adventure mode however, I savescum whenever (almost whenever) I die or permanently lose something I'll miss. Not only is there an absurdly unfair amount of luck involved (oh sorry, that tiger rolled a 1 on your throat, game over) but I'm used to continuing with a character that way regardless.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2009, 10:52:12 pm »

DF is at heart nothing less than a fantasy story generator/telling aid.

And it is also interactive to a large degree.  Ergo, it exists to change its course due to player actions to a large degree.  I disagree that, in CYOA terms, flipping back a few pages to get the better endings, is a good and fun thing.

Rather, making a giant monument in DF loses all its lustre when the game was modified heavily to make it possible.   Great challenges are only worthwhile when they are, in fact, challenging.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 12:28:05 am »

Every now and then I'll savescum to test something out, but for the most part I never do.

It's not so much that savescumming is cheating (though it is), it's just that you don't really NEED to. Vanilla is very, very easy and if you're modding in harder challenges why would you then circumvent them with scumming?

I also try and avoid any other scummy behavior (like cooking booze or impenetrable drawbridge walls, or the corridor 'o traps) for the same reasons.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 03:55:03 am »

NEVER NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS  :P

When something happens in Dwarf mode or adventurer mode I see it as "Loosing is fun, I'll be smarter next time".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2009, 04:00:29 am »

"I'll be smarter next time".

How many deaths have you had where intelligence was a factor?

Angellus

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2009, 04:19:24 am »

I never, ever savescum, I'd even call it cheating due to it not being as the game was meant.

When I leave a gap in the wall and Orcs kill everyone, I reclaim. Simple as that.
Sure it is extremely hatefull to have to reclaim every single f*cking item you left, but that's how the game was meant.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2009, 06:12:56 am »

Savescumming is the refuge of those cowards who want to use an interactive medium as a book they know the ending to.

You're becoming increasingly trenchant in your old age.

Angellus

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2009, 07:01:13 am »

Savescumming is the refuge of those cowards who want to use an interactive medium as a book they know the ending to.

You're becoming increasingly trenchant in your old age.
It's a dragon! He's sooo cute!

awwwwwwww......

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2009, 09:46:12 am »

I always savescum. I don't care if it's not the way the game was meant to be played,it annoys me too much when everything is going fine and then oops,a GCS appears and kills everyone. I'd rather not reclaim if I can avoid it,because it takes forever to put everything in order again. lol,i'm a cheaterrrr  ;D

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2009, 03:59:50 pm »

I voted almost never.  But in actual fact I savescum whenever I feel like it.  Which is almost never because savescumming is cheating and losing is fun
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6