Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Author Topic: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.  (Read 39782 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2009, 12:27:54 pm »

I'd like to offer an apology to Aqizzar/etc. (but Aqizzar particularly). You were offering reasonable (if blunt) discussion and I got, for some reason that is not clear to me now, unnecessarily butthurt.

Apology completely unnecessary.  Just glad to see people acting reasonably, not even about the copyright thing, but just civil conversation.  If I got a little too blunt about the whole thing, I apologize myself.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2009, 12:55:49 pm »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/oct/28/mandelson-date-blocking-filesharers-connections

this is pretty much what we are going to get in the UK

we get a warning at least

personally i think this will dig the government into a hole

UK government of late has an embarsing habit of breaking its own laws, i expect that'l screw em again with this legislation

The main issue (as already metioned in this thread) is that it circumvents the courts and criminal justice. I think this will cause problems when people with ecomonic or political wieght loose their connection.

They are also dunmping most of the responsiblity for policing the public on ISPs. Im not sure ISPs will take an order to sabotage their own business in the name of justice very seriously. Another issue is the poor beurocratic structure in this country, we cant even hold the NHS databse together, tracking and charging copyright infiringement will require a lot of beucracy and logistics so i expect it will be very inefficienct and cause many political head aches.

The key hope is that this act crashes and burns for UK govenment popularity (alright our currnet government are already unpopular) but the next may suffer so much that no other nation would dare try and replicate this act.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2009, 09:20:41 pm »

First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 01, 2009, 12:00:03 pm »

OP:

Simply put, this is why everyone needs to own and be proficient with firearms. Governments screw with their people because they're not afraid enough.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #154 on: December 01, 2009, 12:31:47 pm »

Governments screw with their people because they're not afraid enough.

So your solution to this is to be afraid of everyone?

Ok, while I feel that it IS important for each household to have some kind of self-defense weapon, all these gun nuts afraid that the government is going to come and steal their AK-47s- or worse, that they have to use their AK-47s to protect aborted babies or get the atheist muslims out of the white house- are worse than a few morons being elected.

Isn't that the whole point of a democracy? That we can threaten the status quo without bunches of ammuntion or, you know, killing people?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2009, 12:33:29 pm »

Ok, while I feel that it IS important for each household to have some kind of self-defense weapon, all these gun nuts afraid that the government is going to come and steal their AK-47s- or worse, that they have to use their AK-47s to protect aborted babies or get the atheist muslims out of the white house- are worse than a few morons being elected.

Isn't that the whole point of a democracy? That we can threaten the status quo without bunches of ammuntion or, you know, killing people?

Everyone seems to forget the main advantage automatic weapons have over the average home defense weapon.

They're awesome.
Shoes...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2009, 12:39:17 pm »

Just keep rocket launchers in your house.
Better yet, nuclear rocket launchers! That'll sure stop all your problems!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2009, 02:38:23 pm »

It's not about people being afraid of each other. It's about a government's capacity and tendency to oppress if it can. That is a self-defense mechanism of any organization. People need to be strong because otherwise their government will take advantage. It's a deterrant.

But it needs to be combined with dissent and demand for information. People with information are stronger. People who question their leaders and get answers are stronger for it.

Don't be passive. Don't be weak. That's all.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2009, 11:29:31 am »

I know that even a sneeze that sounds like "Ayn Rand" will probably throw some people into pitbull-mode, but I'm a fan anyway, and she was a pretty avid supporter of the democratic system.  I think she would say (aka she either said this and I'm paraphrasing or this is how I extrapolated something I read) that as long as you have some sort of democratic system, you have absolutely no right to impose yourself on others for the sake of change, whether it be through violence or disruptive protests.  If the government really and truthfully becomes corrupted to the point where our votes mean nothing, then yes, pretty much anything goes.  The US is a long way from that point.  It's unfortunate how paternal the US government has become, but the "government" is still not a separate entity from its people.  Stockpiling ammunition and machine guns accomplishes nothing, since our current leadership directly reflects the majority's beliefs.  If you want the laws to change, you actually have to change people's minds, not start a revolution and hope that the people will blindly follow your charisma and unanimously adopt your ideas.  Democracy - slow, sometimes stupid and full of compromise - but it's not actively trying to kill you.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2009, 11:31:24 am »

I know that even a sneeze that sounds like "Ayn Rand" will probably throw some people into pitbull-mode, but I'm a fan anyway, and she was a pretty avid supporter of the democratic system. 
And such a wonderful and charming person to boot.

...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2012, 04:37:44 pm »

THREAD BUMP! because, be it 2 years ish since the last post its still relavent.

because its 2012. And ACTA seems just about to be put into practice.
and Anon is pissed.

Eather way, unless another campaign of the same that shot down sopa dosent happen soon, ACTA will screw us all over untill we go darknetting. :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAkpsRLESWk&sns=fb <- loving explination.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2012, 04:50:00 pm »

Worthy necro. ACTA is abhorrent, I swear if the EU passes it in the end, it's Canada, Australia or North Korea.

*Edit. Deus mea... Canada and Australia are considering passing it too. Looks like it's North Korea then.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:52:09 pm by Loud Whispers »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2012, 04:55:18 pm »

You really want to go to North Korea over a spectacular copyright treaty?

North Korea has far far worse problems than copyright my friend.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #163 on: January 25, 2012, 04:56:26 pm »

You really want to go to North Korea over a spectacular copyright treaty?

North Korea has far far worse problems than copyright my friend.

Poe's law man.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2012, 04:58:03 pm »

Did you know that spell check does not recognize the word "craptacular"?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26