Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.  (Read 39747 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2009, 12:24:05 pm »

Hush Aqizzar, silence your voice of reason.

How can we B'aaaw over unfairness and make bold rebellious statements with you injecting your restless logic into our fantasy?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2009, 12:58:44 pm »

Don't know if the USA would set it up as an international law, but some countries already try something close to this.

French government enforced a law that looks a lot like this one. It's called HADOPI, I don't know how much it's been heard about in the rest of the world.
The goal was to set up an administrative authority that would reign over the ISP, ask them for information about traffic and shut down your internet access without any judiciary procedure. Just administrative.
It also created a new crime : not protecting your private network. So, if someone breaks into your wifi network then downloads something and get caught, you're guilty. Not only is your connection shut down, but you can't take another one and still have to pay for the first.
In case this happens, you have to prove you're not guilty by having previously installed a spy program on your computer. Said spy will be sold and probably windows only.

The funniest here is that while this law was repetedly refused by our Constitutionnal Council (before said council finally accepted), Europe declared that an access to Internet is a fundamental right, and as so cannot be taken away.
Also, another law, or an amendment, I'm not sure, was voted that said no one can be refused his right to access his email account.
Now, they'll have to explain us how you can access your mails without internet connection.

Needless, we're not happy with our government. At all. So far, I haven't met anyone supporting this law.
Also, I heard the United Kingdom had been talking about a similar but less "violent" law.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2009, 01:56:31 pm »

don't worry, we won't copy a copyright treaty that looks like some backwards country wrote up, catering to large foreign buisnesses.

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2009, 01:50:22 pm »

That sure is disturbing but i read some other leaked document a rather long time ago that was just as disturbing(don't remember which or where). That was about, among other things. Create kind of an European FBI that was to collaborate with the US, to monitor alot of stuff and to change the freedom of speech laws to not include terrorist propaganda.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2009, 05:53:00 pm »

I'm gonna ask again, has any real/reputable media source reported this as fact yet (as opposed to mentioning the fact that a rumor exists?)
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2009, 05:59:09 pm »

I'm gonna ask again, has any real/reputable media source reported this as fact yet (as opposed to mentioning the fact that a rumor exists?)

Not that my MPR trawling has caught.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2009, 08:38:17 pm »

Eh, may not act on it now... but one day... and we will be the ones to rue the day...

Like how Microsoft does the x-box 360 mass bans all at one time.  Take em all at one time.

EDIT: Actually, would be quite effective for a regime who doesn't want word getting around...  What more effective way to squelch and hoodwink the masses... when you do it all at once? 
Even generating fake notices to ensure whole areas get blacked out, legally.

China's Gov't is probably having a field day with this...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 08:48:49 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2009, 09:25:00 pm »

That's...errr...kinda scary. Hey Disney, I hate you, let me accuse you of copyright infringement you didn't do...  :P
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2009, 01:35:39 pm »

I sent an email via Whitehouse.gov.

I probably won't get a response and am probably now a terrorist suspect, considering how any disagreement with the U.S. Government now days instantly makes you unpatriotic. Lovely. I feel like we're in the McCarthy Age again. Don't question the U.S. Government. Let them invade your privacy for your own good.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2009, 01:46:30 pm »

I probably won't get a response and am probably now a terrorist suspect, considering how any disagreement with the U.S. Government now days instantly makes you unpatriotic. Lovely. I feel like we're in the McCarthy Age again. Don't question the U.S. Government. Let them invade your privacy for your own good.

I once emailed my Senator, detailing something I completely forget. He responded very eloquently, to my surprise, and I left it at that.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2009, 01:51:25 pm »

What are you talking about? Are you still living in 2002?

Oh Jesus

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2009, 07:03:18 pm »

What are you talking about? Are you still living in 2002?

Yeah; you're in the Obamanation now remember?

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2009, 10:43:43 pm »

I can't really tell if that's sarcasm but there's a pretty big difference between US government abuses of civil rights in 2002 and now

Oh Jesus

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2009, 06:14:07 pm »

Just a side note here, Jude, that Signature made me laugh, a lot. Heh.

In any case, I'm not so sure this bill would even pass, let alone be enforced. Because there is a world of difference between being able to pass a law, and being able to enforce it properly, or even at all. Sure, they might try, but people have a great way of getting around things, so I doubt they could effectively enforce it enough to actually do anything.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2009, 11:41:04 am »

Okay, so, after taking a while to chill out, I came back and re-read this and realized I was acting like an over-dramatic douche. Possibly I was on my man-period that day or something, who knows. I was obviously too thin-skinned about something I should have expected to come under heavy scrutiny; I guess mainly I expected to get the same reaction I would have if I'd showed this to my offline buddies and said, 'woah, what the fuck, check this out', having momentarily forgotten the general asshattery one should learn to expect from the internetz.

I'd like to offer an apology to Aqizzar/etc. (but Aqizzar particularly). You were offering reasonable (if blunt) discussion and I got, for some reason that is not clear to me now, unnecessarily butthurt.

I still haven't heard back from Snopes, and haven't really bothered to investigate further. If they actually mail me back at any point, I'll post the reply.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26