Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26

Author Topic: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.  (Read 39752 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2012, 06:29:27 pm »

So, what happens tomorrow, when it goes into effect?

Read the actual law? It's actually a lot scarier than people say. It's being signed tomorrow, it's going into effect the moment the EU can enforce it.

Low and behold, the age of free information is drawing to an end.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2012, 06:31:50 pm »

So, what happens tomorrow, when it goes into effect?

Read the actual law? It's actually a lot scarier than people say. It's being signed tomorrow, it's going into effect the moment the EU can enforce it.

Low and behold, the age of free information is drawing to an end.
Good night, Sweet Prince.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2012, 06:34:43 pm »

Don't we have script kiddies in guy fawks masks who normally protest this kind of stuff? Any word on their front?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2012, 06:35:32 pm »

Don't we have script kiddies in guy fawks masks who normally protest this kind of stuff? Any word on their front?

A few government websites taken down, otherwise, no. This... Could be it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2012, 06:37:44 pm »

Well fuck... What cha doing over there US? Looks like you have a gun, is... is that thing loaded? Your are going to shoot yourself in the foot? And everybody else here too? Look I know times seem tough, what with the economic crisis and all, but there is no need to-
*Bam*
Why?!?!?

Ok but seriously now, if I make a new church and say that intellectual property theft is part of my religion, could I make a killing being the only person in the world who can afford to host an ISP?
The religion already exists, and is called Kopimi (pronounce Copy Me). It is even recognized by at least one country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary_Church_of_Kopimism

I do believe I've just found religion.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2012, 07:18:55 pm »

I'm joining that church.

ALSO WTF!?

The internet can't catch a break these days. ISP's shouldn't be liable for the actions of their users, EVER. Ever read the EULA on any of your games? One of those big paragraphs, and its always in there, usually at the top too, says that the company who produced that software is not liable for anything you do with it. But now ISP's have to be reliable for all their (sometimes millions of) users do?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2012, 07:25:42 pm »

Oh for f-

WHY. WHY MUST WE BE PLAGUED LIKE THIS? Seems more and more like the American gov't is trying to take over the world. Even people who are terrified of breaking the law (like yours truly) will suffer from this. Seeing that Europe is planning to sign up as well just made me lose a huge chunk of faith in the administration. That we have to deal with things like this in the modern, probably-not-dictatorial world is ridiculous, baffling and utterly dumbfounding. Why don't we just go back to the middle ages and have people burned on a pyre for being accused of witchcraft? It's not many steps away from this, and that's fucking terrifying. People get punished via accusations alone. I'm all for having violent felons in jail and such, but this is dangerously close to tyranny.

TL;DR: dammit 'murica you make me irate
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2012, 07:40:01 pm »

Can someone give me the Cole's Notes edition of this law? All I've got so far is European SOPA.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2012, 07:42:27 pm »

This is completely impossible to enforce, in any way.

This is just a tool for people who don't like what you're saying to get you, its censorship exactly.

I mean technically under this raywilliamjohnson could be censored since his entire video series shows clips of other videos.

But that probably won't happen because this is impossible to enforce, here's how it'll get used.

It'll be used as an "I gotchya" technique. The person filing a complaint doesn't even have to be the victim of copyright infringment (which is almost impossible NOT to do on the internet when you consider the hundreds of copies of reuploaded cat videos). If you uploaded one of those cat videos and also have a blog protesting pollution. They can get you for uploading that cat video and shut you down.

Well that doesn't have anything to do with pollution, haha too bad! You are a criminal, now everything you say is a lie, no wait sorry, everything you say was someone elses idea first.

This is basically when a cop pulls you over for something but can't prove it but also doesn't like you, he can get you on something else.

Censorship, because freedom is scary.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2012, 08:55:02 pm »

Before this goes into effect, I would like to formally accuse whitehouse.gov of copying a perfectly good law and then going all hipster on it by being "Yeah I was all into international internet oppression three years before those Republicans were."

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2012, 09:09:06 pm »

Not sure what to say... except:

Has this law been passed?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 25, 2012, 09:20:54 pm »

How did this get in so fast and sneak under everyone's radars? I mean, the SOPA outrage was immense, it's hard to imagine something similar going unnoticed.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 25, 2012, 09:22:47 pm »

How did this get in so fast and sneak under everyone's radars? I mean, the SOPA outrage was immense, it's hard to imagine something similar going unnoticed.

Probably because everyone who participated in it wanted it to be a silent negotiation.

Including the US Government.

Well, whatever the reason, the idiots really planned ahead, didn't they?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2012, 09:26:55 pm »

The first posts in this thread were from 2009. So its been around a while, but if IIRC the bump was because this is finally getting somewhere near to actually getting put into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2012, 09:33:12 pm »

This is completely impossible to enforce, in any way.

This is just a tool for people who don't like what you're saying to get you, its censorship exactly.

I mean technically under this raywilliamjohnson could be censored since his entire video series shows clips of other videos.

But that probably won't happen because this is impossible to enforce, here's how it'll get used.

It'll be used as an "I gotchya" technique. The person filing a complaint doesn't even have to be the victim of copyright infringment (which is almost impossible NOT to do on the internet when you consider the hundreds of copies of reuploaded cat videos). If you uploaded one of those cat videos and also have a blog protesting pollution. They can get you for uploading that cat video and shut you down.

Well that doesn't have anything to do with pollution, haha too bad! You are a criminal, now everything you say is a lie, no wait sorry, everything you say was someone elses idea first.

This is basically when a cop pulls you over for something but can't prove it but also doesn't like you, he can get you on something else.

Censorship, because freedom is scary.

That's the government's motivation.  Then there's the media industry lobbyist's motivation:  they want a legal ability to shut down any threats to its business model and force all content to be produced and distributed through its channels, where it can be profited from.  Two separate reasons, but one united and very powerful effort.

It is unenforceable on a universal scale.  It's not intended for that.  It's a strategic tool for those two establishments to consolidate and maintain their dominance.  The side effects will be a major hindrance to the social and technological progress and infrastructure that the internet has given us, and a lot of lives unjustifiably ruined.

I can't help but comment... I browsed through the first three pages of this thread, without noticing the dates on those posts.  I was really annoyed with everyone's behavior, until I realized it was so long ago.  I'm so glad people's attitudes are changing on issues like this.  I implore everyone to remember moments like this, and never again fall into the habit of hand-waving people as paranoid tin-foil hats just because something seems sensational.  Be a critical thinker.  Check sources.  Shelve information that doesn't seem reliable.  That's all fine.  Acting condescending towards someone for bringing the community's attention to something that they are genuinely concerned about is inexcusable.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26