Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140819 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1455 on: November 19, 2013, 11:39:11 pm »

Then she'd be playing mafia with you. I never said it was the perfect plan.
But she doesn't even cuddle afterward... :(

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: November 19, 2013, 11:43:46 pm »

Use your BYOR powers. Give her the "Cuddler" role.

Quote from: Role
You are Vector, a third-party roll that wins when they succesfully cuddle the player with the Webadict role.

Cuddle: Once per night you can cuddle with a player [living or dead]. If the player has the Webadict role you win. If not you murder them because they are not Webadict your bestest mafia buddy.
Vectorinishishness: This is a made-up word with no meaning, as such this role-power has no meaning.
Web-Vector: You may use this ability at any time. When you use this ability you learn the identity of the player with the Webadict role.

Or something like that. You've got this Emporer Penguin man guy thing.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: November 20, 2013, 01:31:23 am »

You guys are sweet. :) [And I doubt that they're in a spat. Vector is just busy-busy IRL and working. Webadict is also busy-busy IRL and had a recently happy birthday!]

So anyway.
If you're playing a game, screwing up gets you lynched.

If you're running a game, screwing up can ruin the game for everyone.

I wouldn't say it is harder exactly, but it's a different skill set and has higher expectations.
I agree fully here. A player-mindset is SO different from a Mod-mindset. Something to note, there are certain roles that could coincide with certain playstyles, however the role distribution is a confidential Mod-secret so I don't think I can expound here without prior advice to either Meph or..one of those veteran moderators with experience on these deals.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: November 20, 2013, 04:34:55 am »

If you're running an open setup with light flavour it's fairly easy.  There are big consequences for making a mistake, sure, but your role is very clearly defined.

Making a good closed setup is hard though, and a commitment to heavy flavour will also make it harder to mod.  I think my hardest game to mod was BYOC because I had to come up with like 60 abilities and track them all

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: November 20, 2013, 08:18:11 am »

If you're running an open setup with light flavour it's fairly easy.  There are big consequences for making a mistake, sure, but your role is very clearly defined.

Making a good closed setup is hard though, and a commitment to heavy flavour will also make it harder to mod.  I think my hardest game to mod was BYOC because I had to come up with like 60 abilities and track them all
... Wow, I guess I never thought about it, because BYORs have just steadily grown, but my first BYOR, everyone had 1 ability except like 1 or 2 roles, and then... look at them today! I've given a role with 5 abilities once, and it never really seemed like a big deal to me to have all those abilities. The only ones that are a real nuisance are auto abilities, because sometimes I forget they have them when I process actions or vote counts or anything they're effecting. So, I've tried to categorize them by what they effect, and it's a pretty good idea.

I've also got a bunch of ideas for abilities, but you don't have to have them all unique. I even once gave the same exact powers to another player so that they'd get suspicious when they massclaimed. Or you can have abilities that effect the same type of ability. I dunno. I feel like this round of BYOR, I didn't get to come up with a lot of super unique abilities, but I've thought of some, and I'll probably be keeping a list.

My favorite ability still is infinity voting, though.

You guys are sweet. :) [And I doubt that they're in a spat. Vector is just busy-busy IRL and working. Webadict is also busy-busy IRL and had a recently happy birthday!]
I'm just messing around. Vector totally cuddles after a game of Mafia.

But seriously, yeah, that. I've been moving, too, so I'm fairly busy during the day recently, and Vector is Vector and therefore typically absorbs all nearby business then wrings it out into the forums and that typically makes a game or so. I'm just hoping she gets less busy so we can make a fun game for everyone to play.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: November 20, 2013, 08:19:45 am »

Well the entire premise of BYOC is that every player got 5 cards, so there wasn't really any way around that.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: November 20, 2013, 08:37:39 am »

Well the entire premise of BYOC is that every player got 5 cards, so there wasn't really any way around that.
Yeah, it just didn't seem that big to me, since I was so used to it, but you probably jumped right into it. So, here you are with 5 abilities you have to give to your players when I was working my way up from 1 a piece.

I like the system though because everyone gets an ability. And everyone loves having abilities. Plus, I get a lot of "OMG I L<3VE THIS ROLE!" when I thought it wasn't that great, and it makes me feel a bit better. And then the role I tried the hardest on is like, "Eh, that's cool." and I still feel pretty good because it was well made.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: November 20, 2013, 10:34:35 am »

I ran into a similar problem with BYOP.  I thought early on "Hey, I'll give everyone an auto, a regular power, and a one-shot, and it'll be fun!"  About 70% of the way through, I was seriously running out of ideas and had to shoehorn several in.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: November 20, 2013, 12:31:54 pm »

I find modding much easier than playing, but it mostly comes down to having a system in place to keep things like vote tracking and actions easy to manage. Once that is in place most of the work is set-up and flavor (however much you do).

Writing flavor is a big reason I mod, so I tend to have a decent amount of it.

Set-up...I actually use a perl script and a source spreadsheet with balance numbers to create a batch of mostly balanced set-ups. I then peruse those, pick the one I think will be the most fun, tweak it a little, and go from there.

New roles are always the hardest to balance, since it can be tricky to predict how everything will mesh when it gets out into the game. But with trial and error I've gotten pretty good at making new roles at least mostly balanced.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: November 20, 2013, 12:36:44 pm »

Sounds Ghostly to have to do all that by hand. [I make reference. REVERE ME MORTALS!]

But yeah, I had the most fun when writing flavor for the one singular game I modded [and the flavor for Elements 3 which never took off.]

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: November 20, 2013, 02:06:31 pm »

Well, if anyone wants to duomod, I'm down for it. I have game ideas out the wazoo, but suck with flavor.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: November 20, 2013, 02:32:21 pm »

I like doing flavor.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: November 20, 2013, 02:44:38 pm »

I have some ideas for a kingmaker type. Two different choices: one based on a level up system and the other not. A third idea based on secrecy. I can make a few themed games. It none of those ideas work, we could come up with another.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: November 20, 2013, 02:47:46 pm »

I have no idea what kingmaker is. Allow me some time to puruse the webs for this information.

[Research montage]

I'd need to know a bit more about what exactly you had in mind and if you had a particular flavor type in mind.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: November 20, 2013, 11:37:54 pm »

Actually, I've been preparing flavor for a Kingmaker.  Shall we?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 108