Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Modern Warfare 2 leaked 1st level gameplay reaction  (Read 7837 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Modern Warfare 2 leaked 1st level gameplay reaction
« on: October 28, 2009, 09:33:29 pm »

SUPER MEGA SPOILER ALERTS prevent me from actually putting what the leaked footage was about... or not. Here's what happened:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Activision said you also have the option of skipping the scene. Now personally, I'm really looking forward to it. In fact, I'll probably replay it repeatedly much like the AC 130 mission in the first Modern Warfare. But understandably, the very much calm and never impressionable internets is up in arms over this. Arguably, this makes sense. How about you guys? Do you also see it as horrific to slaughter innocents by the truckload or do you also have no soul?

Edit: the discussion is about whether this is actually marketing one step too far or just people overreacting again. You might be asking: but how is this different from the overreacting with Mass Effect's "leaked" sex scene, Resident Evil 4's racism or GTA's series of controversy? Well, see, this time, the general internet is not on the "it's just sex" or "it's just a game" side.

We're seeing a reversal of roles here. What does this mean? Would this be handled any differently?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Warfare 2 leaked 1st level gameplay reaction
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 09:39:56 pm »

Leaked my ass, this is marketing.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 09:49:09 pm »

Other Games is a couple sections up.  I know you know this umiman.

Anywho, I was rather disappointed with Modern Warfare.  It's the only Call of Duty game I've played, so I don't know how indicative it is of the series, but to me, it wasn't really a FPS.  It was a collection of shooting-gallery style minigames, each with their particular gimmick from scene to scene.  While the idea of swapping sides (as it were) and gunning through a crowd of townies does appeal to my picaresque sympathy for the Devil in us all, I suspect I'll have all the fun I can have about 2/3s through the game.

And yeah, it was "leaked" intentionally to generate free advertising AKA buzz.  Nothing is ever organic anymore.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 09:54:46 pm »

Kind of a weird way to market, it seems like the added "controversy" would lose them as many sales as they gain. Don't forget that a third of the people who want this game are going to have to ask their parents to buy it for them.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:07:05 pm »

I really think they are going the wrong way with this game, first the PC fuckery and now a mission made to turn moral guardians heads... IW has lost it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:22:50 pm »

Aqizzar: Since you know that I know that, maybe you should've considered why I didn't put it there? Anyway, that's essentially what FPSes are, a collection of shooting gallery type missions. What kind of FPS do you play this isn't essentially, that? No wait, don't answer that. Not interested and it would go off topic.

Anyway, for those of you slow to the clue train, the discussion is about whether this is actually marketing one step too far or just people overreacting again. You might be asking: but how is this different from the overreacting with Mass Effect's "leaked" sex scene or GTA's series of controversy? Well, see, this time, the general internet is not on the "it's just sex" or "it's just a game" side.

We're seeing a reversal of roles here. What does this mean? Would this be handled any differently?

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 10:38:11 pm »

This just sounds like viral advertisement to me.

Killing crowds of civilians is nothing new in the video game world. How is this video game any different from any other video game, like Grand Theft Auto?

Slightly better graphics?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 08:17:27 am »

So wait, shouldn't the undercover agent by trying to STOP the killing of civilians, and not helping them? Shouldn't he backstab them at the last moment to save lives?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 08:27:55 am »

I would guess that his objective is to get even deeper into the organization to strike at it's core, ergo he has to ingratiate himself in the mid-level operation.  If that means killing civilians to earn their trust, well, when in Rome...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 08:31:58 am »

While not based on any credible info, something tells me that someone didn't do their research in this game...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 08:45:59 am »

So wait, shouldn't the undercover agent by trying to STOP the killing of civilians, and not helping them? Shouldn't he backstab them at the last moment to save lives?

That was my thought too, but maybe your just really bad at your job :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 08:50:15 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:06:47 pm by Stany »

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 08:52:44 am »

Maybe he's realised that terrorists have more fun.

This.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 08:58:56 am »

Maybe he's realised that terrorists have more fun.

So... more fun, better pay and unless your taking out more than quarter of a million people a day you'll never run out of targets....

I don't see a downside?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 09:06:10 am »

I am with aqizzar, probably he is trying to get deeper in the organization
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5