Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73667 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« on: October 28, 2009, 05:45:41 am »

So, we've had a few Medieval II threads, but I really wanted to start one that was focused around a moment I've just had, and ones like it.

tl;dr please share with us your most 'Oh man, that's so damn awesome' moments in Medieval II.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:12:17 am by Jackrabbit »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II: Oh Man That's Awesome
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 05:50:55 am »

Not to bee too off topic, but I always wanted to play this game but my shitty laptop can't run it... So do some acts of random cruelty for me jack. Ill have to stick with nerve gassing citys in Alpha Centauri for now.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:55:08 am »

Just for you, I walk into Moscow and kill 16000 people to prove how much I love vodka.

Also, my laptop can't run it. I'm so glad I'm young enough to have parents to take advantage of.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 05:57:12 am »

Oh if this was a month earlier, or if I was a little drunker... The things I would say... XD
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 06:03:39 am »

Oh, I had this. Man, I remember uniting the isle, and eventually the known world under the glorious banner of the English Crown! Good times.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 06:07:17 am »

I tried England, but then I realized they suck because they're not Scotland.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 06:35:27 am »

I like playing Venice and Milan so that I can have glorious last stands defending the banner. In fact I love them so much I have glorious last stands when I outnumber the enemy 5:1 and they don't even have enough men to surround me.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 06:39:26 am »

Oh yes, not to go off topic, but has anyone noticed Milan tends to siege with something like 20 units? And they're all Milanese crossbowmen? I can break them with three knight companies.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 07:06:58 am »

The AI in the Total War series has always been, shall we say questionable.

I remember the Greeks in Rome:TW spent the entire game dancing a unit of Hoplites back and forth between two of my cities.

That was all they ever did for that entire game, i never saw them train any other unit or build any town, they just danced that unit of hoplites back and forth, back and forth. They never took any territories, just the one unit of hoplites, dancing forever.

In the end i decided to kill them out of mercy, poor bastards had clearly been lobotomized.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 07:11:54 am »

Ah hell, I say we also discuss Total War in the thread too. Why I don't consider this beforehand in these situations is beyond me.

Greeks in Rome were probably my favorite to play as because... I'm cheap. To break through a phalanx, you have to rush it with elephants, chariots or several thousand people. Spam hoplites and you will never ever ever ever ever lose a city, ever, unless large quantities of elephants are involved. I'm simultaneously happy and sad this is not the case in Medieval II, and whilst my nobles are devastating, infantry can pick them apart.

Of course, I've never played Rome online, and considering how I beat phalanxes when I go up against Greeks, I imagine the other side will invest heavily in cavalry, no? The ability to zip around behind and mulch the bastards inside out means the Greeks are also my favorite enemy.

Then, there's sieges. Shudder.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 07:16:59 am »

Actually a really easy way to break a Phalanx is to get beside or behind it with Light Cavalry and watch them hack it to pieces.

Archers work well too, since Phalanx's are too damn slow to get anywhere useful. Or you can kill two birds with one stone and use Cavalry Archers; a Phalanx's worst nightmare.

Egypt is the 'best', because Chariots are seriously imba. Like, really imba.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 07:28:24 am »

Actually a really easy way to break a Phalanx is to get beside or behind it with Light Cavalry and watch them hack it to pieces.
Of course, I've never played Rome online, and considering how I beat phalanxes when I go up against Greeks, I imagine the other side will invest heavily in cavalry, no? The ability to zip around behind and mulch the bastards inside out means the Greeks are also my favorite enemy.

As for arrows, makes sure to support them with cavalry and the AI won't know what the hell.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 08:13:00 am »

Well, Jack, my favorite campaign right now is involving myself as the Byzantines, and my friends as the Muslims.

Death to the infidels!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 09:47:02 am »

Usually, when i play on easy, the game goes like this: I am peacefully building my economy as france. I get lots of allies, like milan, venice, some of east europe and some muslim maybe. England declares war. Uh... ok. historical reasons and stuff. HRE declares war. Spain declares war. Wait, what?
Milan declares war, all other allies declares war . STOP! You are too many!!.Denmark declares war.

then it goes on , with me on the brink of bankrupt and military defeat for some years, in which to survive i have to pillage enmy cities and then abandon them, since i can't afford conquest. After a long period, I finally get a nice economy and an advanced and big enough army to slowly defeat my enemies. Of course, at this point whenever i share a border with a nation, that nation decides to attack.

Sometime i wonder if AI in that game goes beyond :" He is player! WAAAAR!"

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 09:52:20 am »

I am peacefully building my economy
I found your problem. Warring is the only to effectively build your economy.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50