Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges: Challenge 2 Discussion  (Read 12424 times)

Ezk1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges: Challenge 1: Omenfreezes
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 03:10:57 am »

I did too have proplem whit ramps, but it seemed that you couldnt build right next to wagon so i carved ramps litlle further.

No, i didnt over hunt wolfes, they just left, maybe becouse my fortification :P

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges: Sign Up for Challenge 1 inside!
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 05:49:21 pm »

Next time I'll just zip up a whole dwarf fortress folder.

Please don't, the only thing I hate more than platform dependent third party utilities are platform dependent folder zips, if you are going to zip the DF folder in it's entirety, do one for Windows, one for Linux and one for Mac OS X, preferably in archive formats which are natively supported, .tar.gz for Linux, for example.

/semirant

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 06:35:20 am »

So, obviously the goal for survival is one year.  Do all the goals have to be completed in that one year?  Or can we play as long as we like until we've completed as many goals as possible?

Edit:
How big does the statue have to be to qualify?  Not that I plan on skimping, but i want to make sure mine's large enough.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:07:49 am by Squirrelloid »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 06:42:29 pm »

They were goblin caravans, so that much was OK, but they arrived in summer, autumn, and winter. Only the winter one seemed to have much in the way of real goods beyond an anvil, though, or so it seemed by looking at what was left behind.

You shouldn't be getting goblin caravans until the winter, so I think you improperly installed the raws I provided. Having caravans come to bring you goods like meat during the summer would significantly alleviate the difficulty of the challenge.

So, obviously the goal for survival is one year.  Do all the goals have to be completed in that one year?  Or can we play as long as we like until we've completed as many goals as possible?

Edit:
How big does the statue have to be to qualify?  Not that I plan on skimping, but i want to make sure mine's large enough.

The goals must be completed during the given timeframe. I wouldn't let you play on just for points, would I? (No.)

As for the statue, go nuts. It can be as big or as small as you want it, so long as it resembles a figure of some sort. It's only one point, I don't care too much what you do with it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 07:08:55 pm »

I'll see if I can puzzle out how to properly install the raws from the wiki. I used the directory in its entirety with none of the original raws in place, a total replacement, but maybe I missed a setting somewhere else. I'm still new enough at this that I've never tried to mod the game on my own, so if there are settings in other folders that weren't included in your zip file then I didn't update them. Either that or I'm using the wrong version of the game -- I'm using the September '08 version, 40d, not one of the OpenGL updates.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 07:15:16 pm »

From a fresh DF install,

Delete the raws folder, and then replace it with the folder I provided. Be sure to rename that to "raws".

Hopefully, that should get it to work properly.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2009, 03:58:53 am »

Ok, so i've completed it once.  But i want to try again with a smaller statue to actually be able to finish my statue on time (7 goblins aren't enough to finish a 15-story statue in one year, apparently...)

Some aspects of this challenge are kind of stupid.  For example, the infinite water source requires magma safe materials if its actually going to be infinite, and as far as i can determine there aren't any available.  Now, effectively infinite relative to the number of goblins I have? Done and done.

I haven't seen any hostile forces yet.  (Lots of annoying wolves, but no hostiles). 

Not sure how one is supposed to get a siege in one year, much less defeat one, since sieges don't start until you have 80 population...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 03:09:17 pm »

You don't need magma to get infinite water. All you need is a bucket and a pick. I'd tell you more, but I'd be spoiling the solution.

And I've gotten invaders on my goblin embarks as early as summer, so it's definitely possible. It might be that they were attracted by the wealth boost given by the HFS I frequently have on my maps, so maybe they might not come for this challenge.

And I'm making an amendment to one of the Power goals.

It will be changed from:

4. Capture and tame an animal. (3 points)

To:

4. Capture an animal. (3 points)

Ice wolves can't be tamed, and it doesn't look like anything else on this glacier can be tamed either. So the taming requirement was removed.

If you'd like, you can add [PET] to the Ice Wolf entry in creature_standard.txt so that you can actually tame them. Taming them is a far simpler matter than capturing them, so I don't think there's much change in the difficulty of the objective.

nitnatsnoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2009, 10:22:00 pm »

I expect this is a non issue. But is it ok to play this challenge with the Mike Mayday version of DF?

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 04:46:04 am »

Ok, I've completed the challenge, and will be claiming 20pts + whatever i might get for the 'present' (assuming its the magma - didn't find anything else interesting).

I've got some in-progress shots on the wiki here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Squirrelloid/Omnifreeze

Will post proof-of-score images when it gets closer to being over.

(Note, something about this map broke visual fortress for me, so my 3D shots will use 3dwarf).

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2009, 01:29:47 pm »

Initial impressions:

Attempt 1: A hunter.  Yeah, ok.  Let's turn that off for now.

That's odd.  I could've sworn I dug up/down stairs through the second layer of ice, but there are no stairs there.  I must have misdesignated.  Bizarre.  *Abort*

Attempt 2: No, I definitely didn't misdesignate.  Odd, but whatever. 

Everyone's inside, got fortifications up.  Man, this is easy. 

Oh, everyone's thirsty.  Ah, no alcohol.  Bloody hell.  Well, no problem.  I'll find the magma I'm sure is here.  Just setup some exploratory mining on the bottom level, see where it is.

Exploratory mining found nothing.  Everyone's dying.  *Abort*

Attempt 3: Ok, so I'll go the cave-in method to get water.  Got to be careful to not expose it to the outside. 

Why these job cancellations?  Oh, I never put in the door to the wall this time because I was too busy with the cave-in, and now wolves are eating everyone.  Everyone's dead.  *Abort*

Attempt 4 is going much better. =P

Also, about the infinite water -- I'm not doing anything special, but my reservoir has stayed at 7/7 for the last two seasons, with plenty of drinking going on...
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2009, 02:09:25 pm »

...That's odd.  I could've sworn I dug up/down stairs through the second layer of ice, but there are no stairs there.  I must have misdesignated.  Bizarre.  *Abort*

I noticed the same thing. I think DF is getting confused at the ice/rock boundary for some reason.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2009, 10:10:04 pm »

Also, about the infinite water -- I'm not doing anything special, but my reservoir has stayed at 7/7 for the last two seasons, with plenty of drinking going on...

Apparently the drink task doesn't drain any water when it's done directly from a source of water, instead of through a well, for example. That doesn't count for infinite water, though.

...That's odd.  I could've sworn I dug up/down stairs through the second layer of ice, but there are no stairs there.  I must have misdesignated.  Bizarre.  *Abort*

I noticed the same thing. I think DF is getting confused at the ice/rock boundary for some reason.

I think it's a temperature thing. The stairways are melting. Get around that layer by using ramps.

My attempts at this map typically end in tantrum spirals because of a wolf eating a goblin or some other death. Playing an angry race tends to result in lots of injuries because of fist fights, unfortunately. Keep those goblins happy.

There is indeed magma on this map, and it is indeed my gift to you.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2009, 04:49:27 pm »

Well, after spending stupid amounts of time trying to get a permanent aboveground pool, I've decided I'm done.

My self-assigned score is 29 out of the possible 34.  Breakdown for those who are curious:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I did play the map multiple times (that is, starting from scratch each time -- no savescumming).  I kept my exploratory mining the same to avoid having an unfair advantage from earlier playthroughs -- skipping that might've gotten me a summer siege, but it seemed on the verge of cheating, so, I didn't.  Not sure if there's a good way to handle that for future challenges other than honor system.

I've gone so long with not using traps or marksdwarves that the goblins met a bitter end or two before I realized that these were options.  They made things much easier.  For future challenges, I'd recommend bonus points for not using them.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 06:55:05 am »

sigh... a human siege. all the meaty corpses!

unbutcherable. can i add butcherable to the humans' raws?

i lost the hunter... freaking migrants, shouldn't even care about them, they fare well on their own... goodbye, five points!

but i did get some ice wolves.... but they're not breeding quick enough....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5