Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges: Challenge 2 Discussion  (Read 12414 times)

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges: Challenge 1: Omenfreezes
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2009, 08:47:20 am »

You got humans to siege in the first summer?
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2009, 09:05:32 am »

... well, to be honest, they came to me in my third year.

the next year, a dwarven siege came! i captured them all and put them in a single tile pit, with a single menacing copper spike in it. the walls turned from all blue to all red. heh. and i think not long from that an elven ambush-siege came...

but they haven't emerged yet...

i'm still waiting for them.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2009, 11:29:01 am »

You're aware the challenge proper is for the first year only, yes? =P

But outside of the challenge, then, yes, you can make humans, elves, dwarves, and kobolds butcherable.  Go into raw\objects\creature_standard.txt, and replace [INTELLIGENT] or [CAN_LEARN] with [CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK] for each of the relevant entries.

Unfortunately, you can't seem to get Cannibalistic goblins.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2009, 01:27:02 pm »

Magua is correct. rosedrake, you may only play the challenge (for points anyway) for one year. You may not use progress you make in further years to add points to your score. To do so would be *gasp* cheating. And by the Honor System, I will not allow it!

Further, you may not make humans butcherable. What are you, an elf?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2009, 07:46:19 am »

ooh i see... so i'm supposed to only play for a year? :o okay!

... imma try doing that to get human meat for the gobs!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 05:03:38 pm »

Just as a reminder, the current challenge ends on Monday, November, 9th. So if you want to compete for the mostly meaningless title of Winner Of Omenfreezes, you should complete it by then.

The next challenge should be up by then, barring some unforeseen event like me procrastinating.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2009, 12:08:20 pm »

I'll try to finish posting pictures tonight.

My actual total is 24, because i'm reasonably sure I qualify for all the 'gift' points.

I'll post again with link to my wiki page on this fortress when i've finished uploading images.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges: Challenge 1 Completed
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2009, 12:56:35 pm »

I declare the Omenfreezes Challenge completed!

Post your points total and a breakdown of every goal you achieved, and you'll receive meaningless awards and titles sometime during the week.

The next challenge will be up sometime during the same time frame.

Along with the new challenge I'll post a strategy or breakdown of how I would have completed the challenges, just so you get a general idea of what I had in mind for the map.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2009, 03:39:08 pm »

Save

29 Points

CORE:
   1. Survive one year. (10 points)

Done!

POWER GOALS:
   1. Survive with all seven founding goblins alive. (5 points)

Marksdwarfgoblin and cage traps for the win.

2. Devise a source of infinite water. (3 Points)

On Z-4, there are two pools of water.  The one on the left is the drinking water.  The one on the right has magma both above and below it.  Every so often, one of the tiles of water will turn to ice briefly, because apparently 7/7 magma doesn't melt squat.  When 6/7 magma flows back around, it melts the ice into 7/7 water, which is more than it was.  Result: Infinite water.

3. Defeat a siege. (3 points)

Dwarves sieged in the Autumn.  You can find captured dwarf prisoners on Z-2, to the right of the "main room" (hotkey F2), in their eternal quest to escape.

a. Defeat two sieges. (2 points)

Humans will siege, but I did not get them to siege year 1.

4. Capture and tame an animal. (3 points)

4 ice wolves have been captured and tamed.  1 dwarven horse has been captured, and claims to be tamed, but still states 'Invader' on the unit screen, so it stays in its cage.

BLOATS:
   1. Find my gift to you. (1 points)

If this is the magma, it was found by the exploratory mining.  F3 takes you to the forges.

a. Deal with the presents in my gift to you. (1 points)
         i. My presents are still wrapped. (2 points)

The fire imps, fire man, and magma man are all still in the magma pool.  I put a lot of fortifications between them and the forges, and then got paranoid and put bars on the openings anyway.  No problems so far.

2. Create an open-air pool of water. (1 points)

Still don't believe this is possible -- even using a magma man.

3. Capture an invader and devise a clever method of torture. (1 points)

Two dwarves are on a Sisyphean quest to escape from the fortress, but no matter how fast they run, they can't make it across the bridges before they retract.  I imagine them doing this for weeks on end without food or water, and totally exposed to the elements.

a. Capture two invaders of different races and torture them simultaneously in a clever way. (1 point)

Without two sieges, this means caging a kobold, and I just didn't have the means to do it.

4. Create an ice statue. (1 point)

I prefer mechanics to design.  Oh well.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2009, 09:35:26 am »

Sorry I fell asleep last night. 

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Squirrelloid/Omnifreeze

Everything is there except the save.  Let me know if you need it, but i think i documented everything with images.

Notes on my play:
Apparently I'm too much of a builder.  But I like my mini-fortress with the statues *on top*.  Its classy =)

I didn't even think I could generate a siege year 1 - should have spent more effort focused on wealth.  Of course, it took me until *end summer* to find the magma pool, so my options for generating wealth were... limited.  And like Magua, I didn't think it would be entirely fair to restart knowing exactly where it is.

And my wolves suck, and wouldn't walk into my traps.  Boo.  I also got them placed pretty late because of that problem finding the magma, so i couldn't make copper cage traps early and in abundance.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:42:20 am by Squirrelloid »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2009, 04:51:09 pm »

Just for future reference, you don't have to play the challenge just once. If you found where the magma pool is, I have no objections to you starting over and incorporating that into your design. So long as you follow the time limit and the no save scumming rules, you can replay the challenge as many times as you want, to improve your points total.

The current standings for the mostly meaningless title of winner of Omenfreezes are:

1st with 29 points: Magua
2nd with 24 points: Squirreloid

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2009, 05:00:29 pm »

You may as well just post a reveal.exe map of the place, then...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2009, 05:20:50 pm »

Heh, no. That's cheating. And I'm nowhere near that nice.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2010, 09:48:37 pm »

I'm going to bump this, because I wanted to see (or run, if the need arises) another challenge. I'm sorry I missed this one as I enjoyed Solifuges two challenges.

Is anyone up for a last challenge in 40d? Sort of a version going away party?

Malrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2010, 10:23:59 pm »

Is anyone up for a last challenge in 40d? Sort of a version going away party?

Yes please. I've not taken part in a challenge yet but this looks like a lot of fun.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5