Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges: Challenge 2 Discussion  (Read 12425 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges: Sign Up for Challenge 1 inside!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 11:31:01 am »

Yes and no. I remember the Dwarf Masters challenge I tried to do, the embark package was almost random (some logs, a few silk threads, random stones, etc). While it's a good way to measure how a player reacts to new things, it might be good idea for these challenges to be different.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 05:29:49 pm »

If I could make a suggestion, I would suggest an easy one for starters.

Pwahaha! Easy!? What do I look like, a humanitarian?

Alright, the first challenge is up. Save and raws, and your objectives. Next time I'll just zip up a whole dwarf fortress folder.

I'm going to write up some text, list the objectives, get a picture of the embark up shortly, but in case you want to start now, go ahead. We'll make the deadline Monday, November 9th. That way, you'll have a little more than two weeks to get it done.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges: Challenge 1: Omenfreezes
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 06:02:19 pm »

Alright, first post updated with the challenge. Which you will find mirrored right here.

Challenge One: Omenfreezes!

While the seven of you were pulling a wagon full of important supplies from Incesthate to Slaughtercruelty, your navigator lost his map. Relying on his intuition alone, he has led you in the direction he believes to be correct.

After three weeks of walking, you've noticed he has led you far off course.

He has led you straight into the Cremated Blizzard, a glacier perpetually covered in a whirlwind of ice and snow. Escaping from this place on foot will prove impossible. Thus, you must try to survive until the goblins at your home dark tower send a rescue party to recover your supplies. This may take upwards of one year.

As you look out across the glacier through the terrible snowstorm, you wonder how a rescue party will ever be able to find you. But first and foremost you must try to survive until then.

Through the snowstorm, you think you see pairs of glowing red dots staring back at you.

Omenfreezes save and raw files.

Omenfreezes is set on a terrifying glacier. You're also playing as goblins. This will be more difficult than your regular dwarven embarks. Your deadline for this map is Monday November 9th, which will give you roughly two weeks to complete this challenge.

These are your objectives for the map:

Spoiler: Objectives (click to show/hide)

Completion of these objectives will earn you points, and the player with the most points will "win".

I've included a text file containing some information I think will be useful to you in the folder containing the save and raws.

Best of luck!

NOTA BENE: The fourth power goal has been changed from its original "Capture and tame an animal." You may add [PET] to the Ice wolf entry in creature_standard.txt if you wish.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:12:24 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 02:37:52 am »

I'm not sure I've got the raws installed right; I renamed the old raws folder and replaced it with yours, but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lots of restarts. Learning a lot, though.

Ezk1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 03:48:42 am »

Ok, looks interesting, im in^^ Lets see what happens.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 11:43:43 am »

If I could make a suggestion, I would suggest an easy one for starters.

Pwahaha! Easy!? What do I look like, a humanitarian?

Alright, the first challenge is up. Save and raws, and your objectives. Next time I'll just zip up a whole dwarf fortress folder.

I'm going to write up some text, list the objectives, get a picture of the embark up shortly, but in case you want to start now, go ahead. We'll make the deadline Monday, November 9th. That way, you'll have a little more than two weeks to get it done.

With that embark? Hell yea you look like a humanitarian. I thought this was supposed to be hard.

Edit: I take it back. Water is the hard part, unless there's magma and you dig to it straight off (meaning you cheat to know where it is, the odds of randomly digging to it are low), no alcohol and no brewing make this pretty much impossible. The cave in method  produces pitiful amounts of water, 1/7 per tile.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 01:50:05 pm by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Ezk1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 02:20:21 pm »

I used cave in style today and it worked perfectly, 6/7 per tile. Proplem came, when wolf left area, and there wasent any food source :P

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2009, 02:30:16 pm »

Did you overhunt the wolves, or were they replaced with a blizzard man? Blizzard men aren't that bad, two or three marksgobs can take one down pretty easily if you set them to harass wild animals.

Usually when I cave in the floor I get 8 open space tiles with 1/7 water and 1 staircase with 4/7 water. Not enough for 7 thirsty gobs. If I could get 63 water it would last em a while, long enough to rig up a water generator.

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2009, 02:35:12 pm »

I think imma try this.
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 04:29:00 pm »

I'll take a stab at this. Probably fail epically, but that's the fun of it!
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 06:04:16 pm »

I lost count of the number of restarts, probably a good dozen, but I did eventually last an entire year.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Save to be posted closer to the deadline. With all of the restarts, I'm not sure it should count, anyway; I did it to acquire the skills, not because I already had them.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2009, 08:19:38 pm »

Could someone post how they got their cave ins to produce 7/7 water? Mine always produce 1/7 and some "open space" tiles.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2009, 08:25:59 pm »

barconis, can you tell me a little more about the caravans you were getting? Were they goblin caravans or were they human or dwarf caravans?

If they were human or dwarf caravans, that shouldn't be happening. They should be trying to kill you.

If they were goblin caravans, those shouldn't come until winter with the way I have the raws set up.

Grendus, I'm doing a quick run of the challenge. I see what your problem is. You need to drop your chunk of ice one more level, and then you'll get 7/7 water.

The moderator provideth!

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 10:09:51 pm »

barconis, can you tell me a little more about the caravans you were getting? Were they goblin caravans or were they human or dwarf caravans?

If they were human or dwarf caravans, that shouldn't be happening. They should be trying to kill you.

If they were goblin caravans, those shouldn't come until winter with the way I have the raws set up.

Grendus, I'm doing a quick run of the challenge. I see what your problem is. You need to drop your chunk of ice one more level, and then you'll get 7/7 water.

The moderator provideth!

They were goblin caravans, so that much was OK, but they arrived in summer, autumn, and winter. Only the winter one seemed to have much in the way of real goods beyond an anvil, though, or so it seemed by looking at what was left behind.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 10:43:01 pm »

Ok, maybe there's something i'm not getting, but the goblins seem very finicky about where they'll dig down ramps, and when they're willing to use the ramps they actually dig.  Shift arrow once to the right of the wagon, designate 3 ramps vertically (centered on that point) - no digging.  Do the same *left* of the wagon, and they dig the ramps no problem.  WTH?

I've started on glaciers before and don't remember this being a problem.

Edit: restarted, now the opposite seems to be true.  !?!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 10:45:42 pm by Squirrelloid »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5