Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8157 8158 [8159] 8160 8161 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9392000 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #122370 on: June 12, 2024, 09:42:00 am »

In my case the thoughts mostly come to the suggestion that maybe I am a little ugly, or not handsome often enough. Or that I am annoying or my accent is offputting. Though these are more like self-service to indulge my romanticism. They aren't pervasive in my daily life.
Chipping in late, but here's my two cents. You think you look, act and sound a little off.

I don't know you, so maybe you do. But I will say that these things are all incredibly easy to remedy with some self-care, and that 19 is far too young to be throwing in the towel.

Also, that the right person will overlook whatever perceived imperfection you have. Because, you know. It's you.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122371 on: July 01, 2024, 06:07:40 pm »

Gran's mental health continues to decline. She's a few days past finishing a round of antibiotics for another UTI, but it's not improved her general state all that much.

Today she's decided she'd rather go to a care home, something she's been petrified of for years, rather than stay with us any longer, and we don't even know why. She just seems to have some phantom injustices being committed against her by us because now that she's here and keeps forgetting why she's here we, and my mother in particular, become an easy locus for her confusion.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #122372 on: July 01, 2024, 06:22:57 pm »

For what it's worth... if your family has the capability to support it, it probably wouldn't hurt to try. They're not permanent things unless everyone relevant involved wants them to be, and it can genuinely be really good for elderly quality of life (never mind that of the current caretakers) -- it's not a guarantee, of course, but especially if family is visiting regularly, then being around other folks their age, with dedicated support staff, and all that stuff... some older folks react incredibly well to that.

It wasn't permanent, but my grandmother spent a few months in rehab in a nursing home after a fall, and it was the happiest we'd seen her in years. The social aspects, the better controlled diet, all that kind of thing, it helped tremendously. Coming back home (of her own insistence, mind) basically killed her.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122373 on: July 01, 2024, 07:43:02 pm »

Gran's mental health continues to decline. She's a few days past finishing a round of antibiotics for another UTI, but it's not improved her general state all that much.

Today she's decided she'd rather go to a care home, something she's been petrified of for years, rather than stay with us any longer, and we don't even know why. She just seems to have some phantom injustices being committed against her by us because now that she's here and keeps forgetting why she's here we, and my mother in particular, become an easy locus for her confusion.
Yeah, I get that. My gran's got vascular dementia and it's slowly becoming more and more untenable for her to live outside some sort of assisted living.

You have my sympathy, it's a seriously shitty situation all-round which isn't helped by there being nothing to do but support them as best you can.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122374 on: July 02, 2024, 03:25:32 pm »

For what it's worth... if your family has the capability to support it, it probably wouldn't hurt to try. They're not permanent things unless everyone relevant involved wants them to be, and it can genuinely be really good for elderly quality of life (never mind that of the current caretakers) -- it's not a guarantee, of course, but especially if family is visiting regularly, then being around other folks their age, with dedicated support staff, and all that stuff... some older folks react incredibly well to that.

It wasn't permanent, but my grandmother spent a few months in rehab in a nursing home after a fall, and it was the happiest we'd seen her in years. The social aspects, the better controlled diet, all that kind of thing, it helped tremendously. Coming back home (of her own insistence, mind) basically killed her.

Here in Scotland the council would pay for the care home after a point,* so money isn't part of keeping her out of one, she was just always adamant that she didn't want to go in one.

My mum wants to see if she can arrange for her to go to a daycare in the short term, go and spend time out the house with other people to help keep her mind active. I'm not confident it will help all that much, but it's worth trying.

*Would be a bit different if we had power of attorney, but the paperwork still hasn't been processed, so the local council gets to decide where she goes if we can't take of her. Gist of it is they'll take possession of her major assets, being her savings and house as I understand it, to pay for a place in a care home. When that runs out further care home expenses just come out of the council's budget. At no point is anyone else in the family on the hook for the costs.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #122375 on: July 02, 2024, 04:24:33 pm »

My mum wants to see if she can arrange for her to go to a daycare in the short term, go and spend time out the house with other people to help keep her mind active. I'm not confident it will help all that much, but it's worth trying.
Extremely so, especially if there's dementia issues. Socialization is like the best thing you can do for folks in that situation, hands down and from everything I saw dealing with it at home it is not close. Both one of the best means of preventing it, slowing the progression, and helping with mental state just in general. The stronger and more active the social network the better off they're probably going to be.

Not every elderly person reacts well, but a very, very large amount of them do and from everything I've seen it's literally the most recommended bit of care in existence (actually getting them that care can get progressively difficult, of course, which is why it's also one of the harder bits of care to successfully implement, but... still). Hopefully it'll work out particularly well for y'all, just about everything about dealing with that is rough as hell.

*Would be a bit different if we had power of attorney, but the paperwork still hasn't been processed, so the local council gets to decide where she goes if we can't take of her. Gist of it is they'll take possession of her major assets, being her savings and house as I understand it, to pay for a place in a care home. When that runs out further care home expenses just come out of the council's budget. At no point is anyone else in the family on the hook for the costs.
That, though... hell of a lot better than how it is where I'm at. It's a small blessing you're not going to have to worry about that if it comes to it. Stateside it bankrupts entire families fairly often, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #122376 on: July 02, 2024, 04:33:15 pm »

Yeah, gotta say, once I got my mom out of her house and she had to be around people regularly in a nursing home, her mentality and outlook really changed.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #122377 on: July 02, 2024, 05:10:53 pm »

Yeah, socialization is absolutely huge. It improves quality of life, mental state, and flat out makes old folks live longer.
It isn't just a old person thing either, no matter how old you are socialization will (on average) make you healthier and happier.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122378 on: July 07, 2024, 04:09:19 pm »

So my father got me and my two younger brothers to the living room to talk today and asked us about our life plans and philosophy. It was less of a chat and more of an interrogation. The focal point was me. Of course that stupid auth-right, conservative fuck I call my father wanted to crack open the secretive one. He failed to learn anything more about me, but we did talk about my plans for the future.

I don't have them. He asked me if I am aware of my immaturity. I am. I think about it every single fucking day, how people in my age, or were my age when they began, accomplish great things and find their place so easily. But I said no, because fuck him. He asked me what I wanted to do in the future. I want to curl up and die, but I said teaching as that is what I am studying at uni, because fuck him. He said he wanted to know more about me. And I said he would never. Because. Fuck. Him.

Why? Because all that ''I love you and I am concerned about you!'' talk is a lie he isn't even aware that he is telling, and I know that. I am pan. He caught me reading a comic with PG gay romance in it when I was 12. He didn't do anything, but he said that what I did was unacceptable, and if I continued further, he would get more serious. I used incognito from then on and the fucking idiot thought he ''solved the issue''. That's when I realised that lie. He loves an imaginary version of me that never existed. A heterosexual, neurotypical one. He doesn't likes me. He hates me with all his core. Only reason he doesn't knows that he does is because I simply never told him the reason. I hate him as well for it. With all my heart. His love is fake, and so is my mothers for the exact same reasons. They would kick me to the curb the moment they knew.

If a muslim parent is forced to pick between their religion and their child, They will always choose their dogshit religion. This is an undisputable fact proven by a million disownments and a thousand honor killings.

so yea

Also, I accidentally crushed a snail today. That made me sad a bit.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122379 on: July 07, 2024, 04:39:43 pm »

I mean you're going into an honourable career. Stick with the books a few years and they can't do anything to you. Can allways have that heart to heart once it's at even eyeheight. You might find that your success silences them, that the impulse to carry out it this confrontation passes on it's own, or you do bodybuilding with your boyfriend and y'all kick his door in when you're in the prime of your live and he's all shriveled up. The world is your oyster.
let

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #122380 on: July 08, 2024, 10:54:40 am »

« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 03:05:24 pm by ggamer »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #122381 on: July 08, 2024, 11:05:36 am »

So my father got me and my two younger brothers to the living room to talk today and asked us about our life plans and philosophy. It was less of a chat and more of an interrogation. The focal point was me. Of course that stupid auth-right, conservative fuck I call my father wanted to crack open the secretive one. He failed to learn anything more about me, but we did talk about my plans for the future.

I don't have them. He asked me if I am aware of my immaturity. I am. I think about it every single fucking day, how people in my age, or were my age when they began, accomplish great things and find their place so easily. But I said no, because fuck him. He asked me what I wanted to do in the future. I want to curl up and die, but I said teaching as that is what I am studying at uni, because fuck him. He said he wanted to know more about me. And I said he would never. Because. Fuck. Him.

Why? Because all that ''I love you and I am concerned about you!'' talk is a lie he isn't even aware that he is telling, and I know that. I am pan. He caught me reading a comic with PG gay romance in it when I was 12. He didn't do anything, but he said that what I did was unacceptable, and if I continued further, he would get more serious. I used incognito from then on and the fucking idiot thought he ''solved the issue''. That's when I realised that lie. He loves an imaginary version of me that never existed. A heterosexual, neurotypical one. He doesn't likes me. He hates me with all his core. Only reason he doesn't knows that he does is because I simply never told him the reason. I hate him as well for it. With all my heart. His love is fake, and so is my mothers for the exact same reasons. They would kick me to the curb the moment they knew.

If a muslim parent is forced to pick between their religion and their child, They will always choose their dogshit religion. This is an undisputable fact proven by a million disownments and a thousand honor killings.

so yea

Also, I accidentally crushed a snail today. That made me sad a bit.

I'm sorry you have to go through this nobody should have to feel like you do when shit like this happens. I'm sure you've got plans in the works, but I hope when you put some distance between yourself and your dad it helps.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122382 on: July 08, 2024, 11:38:40 am »

*snip*

Man that's a lot.

My casual read is that you've developed severe body dysmorphia. Even though you lost 100 pounds and can recognize that people interact with you differently because of it, at your core, you're filled with disgust for yourself and, at least to some degree, project that out into the world.

I had to learn to never, ever take flirting seriously. I still struggle with reacting to it. People are disingenuous as fuck out there. I make it a point never to flirt with people I'm not actively interested in because I hate giving (and getting) false impressions. The worst is when you flirt with someone and they take it seriously and now you gotta walk it back because you couldn't keep your tone in check. But there are absolutely people out there that flirt because it makes THEM feel good and the person on the other end is, at best, an afterthought. They don't struggle with telling you the truth because your feelings didn't matter to them in the first place.

But you're in a relationship. Have you actually talked to your partner about intimacy, and what's changed? Is it possible you are magnifying your own body dysmorphia and are projecting it on to your partner as well? Because point in fact, if they sense you are not happy with your body and you don't find yourself attractive in your own eyes, they will eventually agree with you. Nobody "pity fucks" forever. Nobody, even your partner, will constantly fuck you to make you feel better about yourself because that's draining on them as well. Not saying that's what's happening, maybe there is an issue between you in terms of your intimacy, but you have to talk that out rather than assuming and projecting.

I hear you though. There are days I'm grateful for my libido, and there are days I wish I could throw it in a fucking lake and never look back.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 12:09:43 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #122383 on: July 08, 2024, 11:42:39 am »

Everytime I see somebody on social media or hear people talk about sex their body and how the two normally work for them in life it makes me feel intensely disgusting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N87CwxwitNo
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 11:46:41 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122384 on: July 08, 2024, 11:47:17 am »

Everytime I see somebody on social media or hear people talk about sex their body and how the two normally work for them in life it makes me feel intensely disgusting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N87CwxwitNo

Fabricator General ain't got no game.

But he does have dual Plasma Cannons.
Pages: 1 ... 8157 8158 [8159] 8160 8161 ... 8166