Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7547 7548 [7549] 7550 7551 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9530332 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #113220 on: May 31, 2018, 04:29:46 pm »

This was a MENSA-organized test, strictly pattern recognition of abstract shapes. Not sure how much of a role education plays in that.
Who cares? Like Dunamisdeos said, those tests don't mean a big deal.

"People who boast about their IQ are losers"
~Stephen Hawking

Those tests are BS anyway.
Yeah, but I've got precisely fuckall to show for anything else in my life... I was hoping I could at least qualify as a smart loser.
Instead of looking for external validation from some random group of people, go achieve something. You'll show them, then. You'll show them all!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113221 on: May 31, 2018, 04:47:05 pm »

This was a MENSA-organized test, strictly pattern recognition of abstract shapes. Not sure how much of a role education plays in that.
It means that you have a mind that can solve them well.

Why are people so quick to dismiss IQ tests, I wonder?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #113222 on: May 31, 2018, 05:15:59 pm »

https://www.mensa.org.uk/workout

I had a bit of fun doing this, though it seemed way too easy to be a proper indication. HIVE is to BEE as DEN is to.... ? indeed.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113223 on: May 31, 2018, 05:21:52 pm »

Huh. Fair enough. I have no idea how MENSA works, so interesting.

MENSA works like this: a bunch of losers invent elaborate ways to justify a feeling of smug superiority towards everyone else in the absence of any actual achievements, then wonder why they aren't taken more seriously.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #113224 on: May 31, 2018, 05:28:26 pm »

What do y’all have against steep flat topped hills?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #113225 on: May 31, 2018, 05:54:26 pm »

Huh. Fair enough. I have no idea how MENSA works, so interesting.

MENSA works like this: a bunch of losers invent elaborate ways to justify a feeling of smug superiority towards everyone else in the absence of any actual achievements, then wonder why they aren't taken more seriously.

This sounds suspiciously like straw man.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:56:10 pm by Eschar »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113226 on: May 31, 2018, 06:01:06 pm »

Because based on my personal experience it means fuckall, or rather, it's correlated to a rather situational bonus at best. Furthermore: I feel test score interpretation is ambiguous at best, and labels based on said interpretation can be harmful (and I'm talking about both low and high scores). I'm certain Kagus shouldn't feel bad because of this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:03:19 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113227 on: May 31, 2018, 07:01:15 pm »

Actually now I feel bad for getting a lower score and about making the attempt in the first place...

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113228 on: May 31, 2018, 07:01:47 pm »

IQ tests have been misused horribly and continue to be.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113229 on: May 31, 2018, 07:03:47 pm »

Actually now I feel bad for getting a lower score and about making the attempt in the first place...
:(

I actually admire you for giving the test a shot, it seems like a challenge, regardless of the reasons you may have taken it. And even though you may feel bad about the result, remember that it's just another standardized test. And those are shit, generally speaking.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113230 on: June 01, 2018, 12:37:40 am »

I had to bring out a calculator for the number sequence, and the one with the letters I couldn't answer.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113231 on: June 01, 2018, 02:37:03 am »

There's a reason IQ tests are on the way down. Once upon a time, IQ tests were everywhere the promise is that they'd help employers pick better people to hire, and schools to decided which kids would do best as college. etc. etc. But everyone on the spectrum from employers to schools just stopped doing IQ tests at some point. Why do you think that is?

Kagus did a test that was sponsored, e.g. paid for, by a private club dedicated to telling people that people with high IQ scores are superior humans. There's a reason that basically nobody but that one club are using these tests these days. When was the last time anyone required you to sit for an IQ test?

I mean, I could in fact go and get sources critiquing IQ tests and point at the history of IQ testing and some of the points against them, e.g. how they "calibrate" the tests to give the same score for different groups who score differently on different type of question, purely due to circular logic ideology that those groups should be the same, so we shuffle the test around and change question weightings until they are. It's just not science when you manipulate the data until it "conforms" to the result you wanted. And then people make assertions like "these groups are equal" or "these groups are not equal" in intelligence. But since "equal" in some cases is a result of direct and deliberate manipulation of the scoring system, how can we trust either "equal" or "not equal" results then?

This isn't science, the questions in IQ tests are not proven to be "intelligency" any more than other questions - they're based on 1900 French school exams* because that's what Binet was trying to predict - future performance in the French school system, not intelligence.  The idea that by giving someone pre-existing school tests you're "measuring intelligence" is circular logic in itself. Why not ask questions about things that aren't math? Maths students would then fail and some other group would seem to be more intelligent. We've just decided "Western math = intelligence". "Psychometry" e.g. the 20th century science of measuring "intelligence" is little more than phrenology but with more equations and statistics manipulation, and less head-bump-reading.

* There are things like Raven's Matrices which are supposed to be "universal" to get around the problem that the older tests are all ingrained with school curriculum questions, thus are not culture-or-education-independent, but the way that the Raven's Matrices was created was an iterative process: make a whole lot of randomly-selected visual puzzles, then test people on them. Then, compare the results against the same people's score on a Binet IQ test. Then, work out which visual puzzles are the best predictors of people's Binet score. e.g. there were puzzles that some other people did better on, but if they weren't also the people who did better on a Binet test, those questions were thrown out as "not predictive of intelligence". So, over successive iterations of testing, the scores can be made to resemble Binet scores on a person by person basis, by removing any questions which showed otherwise.

Then, you select a new bunch of kids, and repeat the process with the new Raven's test. And then, they turn around and say "Binet-style tests are vindicated - see? Raven's tests don't even include any math or English questions, and they give very similar results to the Binet test". But the problem here is that "Raven's" test questions weren't picked independently due to some "great theory of intelligence" they were carefully hand-picked because the chosen questions mimic the Binet test. Circular logic again.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 03:16:10 am by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113232 on: June 01, 2018, 02:40:56 am »

There's a reason IQ tests are on the way down. Once upon a time, IQ tests were everywhere the promise is that they'd help employers pick better people to hire, and schools to decided which kids would do best as college. etc. etc.

Employers and schools just stopped doing IQ tests at some point. Why do you think that is?
You f'd up your quote Reelya

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113233 on: June 01, 2018, 02:55:10 am »

ah sorry will fix

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113234 on: June 01, 2018, 02:58:57 am »

There's a reason IQ tests are on the way down. Once upon a time, IQ tests were everywhere the promise is that they'd help employers pick better people to hire, and schools to decided which kids would do best as college. etc. etc.

Employers and schools just stopped doing IQ tests at some point. Why do you think that is?
You f'd up your quote Reelya
I know a few kids that I think would be great at being institutions of higher learning, but that's just anecdotal, with a lot of personal bias.

Also, this is the kind of test I took: http://test.mensa.no/

I've taken the preliminary (the one offered by the site) multiple times, and then took the official one which was pretty much the same thing (although it was only when I got there that I learned the patterns were supposed to repeat both on the left-to-right axis, AND the top-to-bottom axis). And while the Mensa (doesn't that just mean "table" in Latin?) IQ test set me back 500 NOK, other IQ measurements (generally requiring the personal attention of one or several psychologists before, during and after the test) would be closer to the 6,000 NOK range.

Again, I've accomplished fuckall with my life, and I've got fuckall to make any future accomplishments with. I just thought that pattern recognition was one of the extremely few things I was actually kinda good at, so I could leverage that to get a card saying "look, I may be a loser, but at least I'm a smart loser". But nah.
Pages: 1 ... 7547 7548 [7549] 7550 7551 ... 8169